1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by DNW, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Ken P

Ken P Well-Known Member

@hc4thehc I'm planning on making the trip to the Waitsfield farmer's market in September to get some Lawson's. If it works out, maybe I can send you a bottle of their maple tripple.

My parents went to northern California for vacation and I had a very specific request for a souvenir:
    [​IMG]

My "cellar" is looking pretty good now:
    [​IMG]

Drank the Idle Hands Maginot (on the door in the photo above). It wasn't bad but I felt a bit mislead - label said it was a "Sour Wheat Ale" and BA has it listed as a Berliner Weisse. Didn't taste like either of those to me: more of a hefe with a light sour note.

Had this one last night, another bit of a misleading label - presumed a sour blonde would be blonde. After pouring, I read the label a little further I guess it starts as a blonde ale and is aged with cherries - so a bit closer to a kriek in taste. Still really good!
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. concealed

concealed Well-Known Member

@hc4thehc I picked up some more Bourbon County Barleywine tonight, a local packy had 5 cases of the stuff hanging out. $18.99 per 4pack, had to grab 2. I could probably talk the guys down a bit on a case price, but do I really need that much barrel aged barleywine?

3. Ken P

Ken P Well-Known Member

A lot cheaper than I've ever seen it!

4. hc4thehc

hc4thehc Well-Known Member

Yes - yes you do...

1 person likes this.
  5. brp2

brp2 Well-Known Member

Hello Binny's:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. 13k

13k Well-Known Member

Any of you guys ship a case of beer before? I'm talking 12 bombers of beer? Best way and quickest? I've sent a bottle or two but never a case!

7. alexg

alexg Well-Known Member

Get a wine shipper from a wine store. They make a 12 bottle shipper, that's probably the easiest way. Don't use USPS to ship, if you get caught there's actual criminal penalties.

8. brp2

brp2 Well-Known Member

Never shipped that much either. Easiest way is to use a wine shipper as checked luggage, but that only works if you're traveling too.

9. hc4thehc

This is more like it!.. Lotsa orange, good sourness, some funk in there as well... Lovely!..

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. alexg

alexg Well-Known Member

Literally just got around to having the Zombie Killer I got in the Christmas beer exchange. Wow. So good. This is the first time I've had a mead I actually like, everything available in Texas has been overly sweet with too many off flavors.

1 person likes this.
  11. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Well-Known Member

Some decent local pick-ups, my wedding is at Rev next month. Glad you got a chance to head out a bit at least...

1 person likes this.
  12. Ken P

Ken P Well-Known Member

Stopped by a couple stores after work on friday. Can't believe I found the arctic soiree- it was bottled almost a year ago and I've must've walked past it 5 times now. Hopefully it aged well. If anyone is interested in the double DBA let me know. Picked it up because I knew it's limited but I don't really care for the style.
    [​IMG]

13. hc4thehc

14. brp2

brp2 Well-Known Member

Definitely. Even had a chance to stop in Rev for a quick brunch yesterday, and saw a couple checking out the space for a wedding. Seems like a great choice!

15. cocostella

cocostella Well-Known Member

Circa 7p today...
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. hc4thehc

Yesterday, shared at a BBQ. Good stuff!.. No thumbnail as I can't seem to use the editor right now...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

I bought some sculpin yesterday. Stuff surprised me. Really good!

(Ballast point)

18. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Going to start branching out a bit. I think I saw some of the barleywine stuff mentioned on the last page yesterday. Might give it a go.

I've been more into scotch lately, but I like beer. Just try to go easy at it.

@Ken P , have you been to aeronaut brewing co in Union Square yet? I've been a few times. They have some great stuff!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  19. hc4thehc

Cantillon for Ken P, Plead the 5th for me :)

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  20. fiestaplatypus

fiestaplatypus Well-Known Member

Found a bottle of the Arctic Soiree in Indy last week as well (they had 2, but I had to conserve space in my luggage for other stuff like Wulver). Let me know your thoughts if you open it.