1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by DNW, Jul 20, 2007.

1. brp2

brp2 Well-Known Member

Off to Crooked Stave. Starting with their Surette Provision Saison. It's batch 10, whatever that means. I gotta be honest, I'm missing the saison and getting nothing but sour.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. brp2

brp2 Well-Known Member

Round 2: Crooked Stave's Origins Batch 3, a burgundy sour aged in oak. A bit more depth to this one than the last, which was more of a one trick pony:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. brp2

brp2 Well-Known Member

Round 3: last one here, and had to go with a taster as things seem to be adding up. Crooked Stave's Original Sin, which is the Origins barrels blended with La Tentation barrels. It's really nice , adding some sweetness and a bit more complexity to the base beer. Also, the bartender is super knowledgable and fun to talk to.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. brp2

brp2 Well-Known Member

Last beer of the night? Back to Falling Rock for Elevation's Signal de Botrange. Sadly it's not a good nightcap. While it's nominally a saison, it seems way too sweet and cloying.
    [​IMG]

5. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

going hard

:( wish they had crooked stave sours here

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  6. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Well-Known Member

The few I had at ebf didn't wow me. And it was the first table I hit so it wasn't like my palate was torched.

7. brp2

brp2 Well-Known Member

So I started a bit early today. Headed to Great Divide and had the Rumble IPA first, which was pretty nice:
    [​IMG]

Then moved on to the Yeiser Brett Collette, which is apparently their Collette saison with Brett. It suffered from the same issues as Elevation's Signal de Botrange, however.
    [​IMG]

8. brp2

brp2 Well-Known Member

And onward, to the Star Bar, which was fucking awesome. While I missed their sour fest that opened on Saturday (including Cantillon and RR Consecration kegs -- how didn't I know about that?) this bar was still incredible. Awesome staff, fantastic beer, and great music, the latter of which was comprised of a self made Pandora channel called the Husker Du station. I started with Bear Republic's Tartare Rouge, an oud bruin style aged in (I'm guessing) red wine barrels. It was fantastic.
    [​IMG]

From there I moved on to Ska Brewing's Modus Hoperandi, but I forgot to take a photo as it was in a can and I was distracted by all the Fugazi, Dino Jr., Mission of Burma, Minor Threat and Misfits that was playing.

Next up was the Rockies game, with a Boulder Brewing Hazed and Confused. While it's not that awesome -- and not even as good as their Mojo IPA, in my opinion -- it's a pretty fantastic option to have at a major league game, and the $7 price tag wasn't as bad as I expected.
    [​IMG]

Now it's back out for a nightcap, probably to one of the usual suspects. River North is on tap for tomorrow, and I couldn't resist a bit of shopping today:
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. brp2

brp2 Well-Known Member

Their stuff has been a bit hit or miss for me. The first beers I had of theirs a couple years back really wowed me. Here, I thought the Vieille was really nice, as was the Original Sin. The Surette and the Origins both seemed pretty one-note sour to me, however, and were pretty overwhelming and not that enjoyable. All that said, I still agree with Indes and would love to see a steady stream of their stuff.

10. brp2

brp2 Well-Known Member

Probably the closer: Green Flash's Road Warrior, a rye double IPA. Pretty nice.
    [​IMG]

11. hc4thehc

hc4thehc Well-Known Member

Celebrating Italy's loss...

[​IMG]

12. nahneun

nahneun Well-Known Member

Korea needs to beat Belgium by 3 points......

Jesus, take the wheel.

13. hc4thehc

hc4thehc Well-Known Member

:p :cheers:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  14. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Draft Punk IPA from Pratt Street Ale House of Baltimore. On tap at a pub by the harbor. I love vacation!

[​IMG]

15. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Same bar, different beer.

Flying Dog Dead Rise Old Bay Summer Ale on tap at The Point in Fells (Baltimore).

[​IMG]

16. brp2

brp2 Well-Known Member

Currently at the comference's brewer reception, staffed by eight small breweries. I started out with Fort Collins's Ashes marzen, which was pretty decent for the style. Moved on to Verboten's Roll in ze Watermelon, a watermelon gose which isn't nearly as bad as it sounds:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. fiestaplatypus

fiestaplatypus Well-Known Member

LOVE this beer. Nice!

18. brp2

brp2 Well-Known Member

Moving on, the work is done, so back to work. Figured I should hit up River North as Star Bar and others raved. Here's the full draught list. I started with a full glass of the Unified Theory, an oak aged imperial wit. It was pretty nice, and exactly what you'd expect.
    [​IMG]

Then on to the rest with a sampler. From left to right:
    Hello Darkness, black IPA (kinda light smoke, almost cigarette-y)
    White (light, clean, maybe a little thin)
    J'marie (farmhouse; right on)
    IPA (niiiiice, "Belgian" IPA, but just nice and resin-y)
    Hoppenberg (Belgian style 2xipa; interesting, but a bit fruity for me)
    Quandary (quad, generally not my style. This one, while sweet, isn't overbearing)
    [​IMG]

Also included is the bartender. She was super nice and knowledgable.

19. brp2

brp2 Well-Known Member

Some kind of local Kolsch with dinner. I've got to admit, I have no idea what it is as I'm kinda drunk and haven't eaten in forever. Fortunately, the food and beer at Work & Class (don't blame me for the name; the bartender at R North recommended it) are super tasty.
    [​IMG]

Also, my educated impression is that Denver = N. Florida + Portland, OR.

20. brp2

brp2 Well-Known Member

In all seriousness, though, anyplace that plays Pete Rock & CL Smooth is ok in my book.

2 people like this.