1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by DNW, Jul 20, 2007.

1. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

my condolences

1 person likes this.
  2. hc4thehc

hc4thehc Well-Known Member

And for now... Extremely nice raspberry brew!!!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. hc4thehc

Well - this is one of the best things I've ever had :) THANK YOU indesertum!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    2 people like this.
  4. indesertum

I'm really glad you liked it :)

5. hc4thehc

I'm trying my best to pace myself, but every sip is simply heaven... :p I'm gonna miss this beer when I'm done :butbut:

We should do a trade again soon :embar:

1 person likes this.
  6. indesertum

:) we can do more trades. Might even be able to get you some kbs

1 person likes this.
  7. hc4thehc

Was talking to a mate who was gonna try and get his mits on some KBS for me, but either way I'm very actively looking for that beer :) The hype has reached Belgium!..

8. indesertum

Well hopefully I can get some tomorrow but if not I'm sure I can get you other goodies

1 person likes this.
  9. hc4thehc

From my mate:

So that's taken care of... Still have some (very random) others on my list:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/alesmith-speedway-stout-barrel-aged/28173/
    http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/bells-hopslam/35488/
    http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/bells-expedition-stout/3214/
    http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/founders-kbs-kentucky-breakfast-stout/40544/ (or any of the other strong stouts they make really, preferably the sweeter, oak aged ones)
    http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/the-bruery-bois/172506/
    http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/the-bruery-melange-3/97584/
    http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/the-bruery-autumn-maple-barrel-aged/109585/
    http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/the-bruery-white-oak/97579/

I have absolutely NO idea how hard or easy or cheap or expensive some of these are so do realise I will do my best to come up with a FAIR trade one way or the other :embar:

And I don't even need any of those... Just go by your instincts... :)

10. indesertum

The bruery stuff is pretty easy to get. At least I think bois and white oak is easy to get. Autumn maple I think only comes around in time for pumpkin beers. Saison rue is delicious and somewhat hard to find but doable.

Hopslam is all gone now but prolly will come again. Expedition I can get for you I think. We'll see I'll let you know

I'm interested in the cantillon mamouche and Lou pepe

11. hc4thehc

I can get you Mamouche and Lou Pepe... No worries there!.. :) And thanks!..

12. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Well-Known Member

I was able to secure one bottle of kbs last week.

1 person likes this.
  13. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Well-Known Member

Cross posting my WAYWRN post, given the backdrop. They don't do their infusions in growlers, sadly, but I did taste the chocolate infused Defibrillator Doppelbock, and it was lovely. Probably a little too sweet for a whole growler, though. We got the Vow Of Silence Belgian Strong Ale (9.8%) to take home. Spoiler contains no additional beer info, just clothes stuff.

I'll have to cross-post this to the beer thread, as well, I guess. Mass, stroll through the cherry blossoms, antiquing, vintage shopping, and beers with my wife, today. The shirt was not the strongest choice; I went with purple because it's the first Sunday we've made it to mass during Lent. Next week I'll go with pink for Palm Sunday. I was going to wear a dark purple tie, as well, but couldn't find it this morning. Not sure it would have worked with the navy anyway. This was taken at the end of the day, and my pants seem t have slid down at the waist, so they're actually a bit shorter than they look in the photo. Half an inch or so, maybe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Blazer: Vintage Christian Dior (My grandfather's), with buttons bought by my father in Savile Row
    Tie: Emilio Zegna, thrifted
    Shirt: Unknown thrifted
    Pants: Unknown
    Shoes: AE Fifth Avenue, thrifted
    Socks: Calvin Klein
    PS: Etsy
    Watch: Bovaly
    Beer: Parallel 49 Brewing, Vow of Silence Strong Belgian Ale

14. indesertum

They actually infuse chocolate? I wonder how they get around the fat issue

15. ImTheGroom

Not sure if it's chocolate, or cocoa; didn't think to ask. The infusion is not done during brewing; they always have one of their beers set up with their infuser at any given time. In the summer it might be a wheat ale with watermelon juice. Not really sure if it injects the as it pours, or if they do it more like steeping tea. Anyway, it's essentially something mixed with the beer, as opposed to an ingredient of the beer.

16. indesertum

fats and beer are such a bad combination tho. even if you add it after secondary fermentation, the fat kills the head, allows the beer to go rancid, and creates a lot of problems with temperature and solidifying. you can't just steep chocolate like you would tea because at the temperature you serve the beer the chocolate won't dissolve and will solidify and remain in the keg. i've had so many of these chocolate or bacon or peanut butter infused beers and they're almost always terrible because they have to resort to using extract or making a really shitty beer and extract tastes so artificial. id be interested in knowing how the beer was. the best way to do it is probably by fat washing and making basically your own extract

thinking about it cocoa powder or cocoa nibs would work better

17. ImTheGroom

I don't think they mix it in the keg; there is a glass tube above the tap, that holds an amount of beer, and I assume they mix that much. It's probably 6-8 L at a time, maybe as much as 12. Hard to say. Perhaps they use cocoa, rather than chocolate, or a specific chocolate containing less fat. Likely a mixture, rather than solution. It had little or no head, similar to a cask conditioned ale. Whatever they do, it was tasty.

18. fiestaplatypus

fiestaplatypus Well-Known Member

I have one bottle of Autumn Maple in my stash, can acquire plenty of Bruery White oak, Bruery Saison Rue, or Bells Expedition Stout. I also have about two cases of Bourbon County Barleywine in my stash and have access to more (I'm obviously a huge fan as well). Let me know if you can't get it from your normal trade partners and if not, perhaps we could set something up.

KBS was extremely difficult to acquire this year in my state of Virginia and I only ended up with two bottles. Of the stores that actually received an allotment (only one of my usual stores received any), almost all got just a single case. Bottle limits were no more than 2 per person anywhere, with most never seeing the sales floor since they were held for friends and family of employees.

There are a couple of REALLY good local (to Virginia) barrel aged stouts that you would probably enjoy as well. Three Brothers brewing Resolute and Williamsburg Alewerks Bourbon Barrel Porter are both easily accessible, but will probably not be around for much longer.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  19. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Well-Known Member

Guezue morning...

This is how one should get their lambic shipments in bulk! :nodding:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. indesertum

Damn. Shipping must've been crazy

Got Kbs for $9 a bottle....

Isn't geueze tilquin pretty readily available here tho?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014