1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by DNW, Jul 20, 2007.

1. nemuine

nemuine Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

drinking at a cabin.

1 person likes this.
  2. munchausen

munchausen Well-Known Member

Three Philosophers. Hadn't had this in a good long while. It was sort of my intro to "quality beer" and I was worried that it wouldn't live up to my memories of it. I shouldn't have been concerned, it's still beautiful.

3. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Thank god for southwest giving you two free checked bags:
    [​IMG]

4. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

Not a big beer drinker but living in the Cities, I can't find a single Surly I like.

5. ama

ama Well-Known Member

Not even Smoke? Its a smoked beer, pairs really well with lots of richer and smokier foods.

6. texas_jack

texas_jack Well-Known Member

Your offer of a beer that a non beer lover would like is a smoked beer?

7. Cary Grant

I find everything Surly too in your face and not particularly balanced. I hear they're at least more consistent these days.

8. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Well-Known Member

no abrasive? your doing it wrong.

9. ama

ama Well-Known Member

Considering that he eats a lot of rich and fatty cheeses, yes. Smoked beers appeal to many non-beer lovers because frankly, many don't taste like beer.

10. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

first time i've heard that. odd, because many beer lovers don't like smoked beers.

11. otc

otc Well-Known Member

It is a pretty wild brew. very different from anything I have ever had...but also absurdly expensive.

12. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Is that available yet? I didn't see it on the shelves at the two stores I was at this trip.

Double IPAs aren't my favorite style anyways...

No coffee bender either at this shop...and I have never tried Hell

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  13. OmniscientCause

Yea as far as I know its been out for a couple weeks...i want some just to compare to heady.

14. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Well-Known Member

Heady Topper is better than Abrasive...

15. OmniscientCause

Oh im sure it is, nothing compares to it in its style but I will always be willing to try things others think are close. I bought some la cumbre elevated ipa that i finally have in my possession. Will give that a go tonight after my last bottle of zombie dust.

16. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Honestly, the surly beers are expensive for what they are. I like them well enough, and I enjoy supporting something local that lets me be proud of my home state...so I will load up when I visit home.

But, those 4-packs ranged from $9.99 to $12.99 and at 16 oz a can, they come up 8oz short of a regular 6pack (and if you are just drinking by yourself, it means you get 4 chances to taste it rather than 6...although 16oz is a more dividable size if you want to share). There are a lot of better deals to be had if your budget is able to go all of the way up to $12.99 per six pack (at least based on chicago prices where I have never paid that much for a sixpack of anything).

Think it is great stuff on tap though (where it costs the same as the other tap beers), especially the Furious, and being served a glass of Smoke with the right kind of meal is pretty awesome. Still haven't managed to try Darkness, but that's supposed to be great.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  17. Cary Grant

The release party for Abrasive was mid-November here in the Twin Cities.

18. concealed

concealed Well-Known Member

Totally worth that price

19. OmniscientCause

Yea idk our beer budgets are different apparently...I have no issue dropping most of my disposable income on beer. Its pretty much my hobby, so 10 bucks for a 4pk of tall boys is pretty good if you ask me. Heady is 13 for the same oz allocation. Id buy surly all I could if I was in Minn, Ive never had anything from them but from people on BA it seems worth it. I need to figure out when to drink my 12 darkness, and if I should cellar it or closet it in my case.

20. otc

otc Well-Known Member

What I'm trying to say is...I like the beer, but I can find other beers I like in greater quantities for less money (hell, I can buy something like Anti-Hero IPA 6-packs for $9.99 at whole foods where everything is overpriced).

Obviously I don't have a problem buying it (see pic), but I think that if I still lived in MN, the novelty would wear off eventually and I would wonder why I was paying more (especially since whenever I see it on tap, it costs the same as beers I can get regularily for <$10 a 6-pack).

Heck, when zombie dust is in stock here, it goes for $11.99 a 6-pack.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013