1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by DNW, Jul 20, 2007.

1. chronoaug

chronoaug Well-Known Member

The other night i had the Rogue Half-E-Weizen. I like hefweizens and the bottle has this funny old lady on it so i had to buy it. Really enjoyable if you like that kind of beer. I love most all Rogue brews but my only prolem with them is their rising price. They were a great deal when you could get the 22oz bottle for $4-5 but now i'm seeing them for $6-7 and at that price, your options in the beer world open up a lot making it a tougher choice for me to pick Rogue. Oh well.

2. Brad

Brad Well-Known Member

They were a great deal when you could get the 22oz bottle for $4-5 but now i'm seeing them for $6-7 and at that price, your options in the beer world open up a lot making it a tougher choice for me to pick Rogue.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Rogue, while pretty good, is pretty steep at $4-5/bottle. I rarely drink it at that price; I wouldn't drink it at all at $6-7/bottle.

3. chronoaug

chronoaug Well-Known Member

I mean, at 22oz, $4-5 isn't that bad considering some of the belgian or small brewery beers we talk about here are about $2.75-4 per bottle and only 11-12oz so the price back then was fine when you wanted a nice beer. The store near me has 750ml bottles of stuff like allagash white for $6 and ommegang abbey ale for $5 so i may as well just get that.

4. Nico Samuel Pleninsek

Nico Samuel Pleninsek Well-Known Member

5. Antonio Centeno

Antonio Centeno Well-Known Member

I am also a fan of Blue Moon

6. Jenaimarr

Jenaimarr Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I'm really diggin the Hitachino Nest White Ale, but it's a major bitch to find. I'm surprised that japanese markets (little tokyo, west la, torrance) don't carry microbrews from their homeland. I end up going to Bevmo which is constantly out of stock.

Anyone know any retailer in the LA area that carries this?

7. tomenugen

tomenugen Well-Known Member

The other night i had the Rogue Half-E-Weizen. I like hefweizens and the bottle has this funny old lady on it so i had to buy it. Really enjoyable if you like that kind of beer. I love most all Rogue brews but my only prolem with them is their rising price. They were a great deal when you could get the 22oz bottle for $4-5 but now i'm seeing them for $6-7 and at that price, your options in the beer world open up a lot making it a tougher choice for me to pick Rogue. Oh well.

blame the hop shortage.

8. Girardian

Girardian Well-Known Member

Speaking of Rogue, I highly recommend their HazeNut Brown Nectar. Find it on tap and you've found a pint of beer heaven.

9. luftvier

luftvier Well-Known Member

I am a huge fan of Lindeman's Cuvee Renee, a delicious Gueze style. Fantome's Bris Bons-Bons is also delicious!

The benefit of living in Philadelphia is that we have two of the best Belgian beer bars in the nation!

10. luftvier

[​IMG]

You know, my local dive had a special on Half-E-Weizen for only $4/bottle. I was not a huge fan of it, though. The Germans have spoiled me, what with Paul Aner, Franziskaner, and Hacker-Pfschorr.

11. Brad

Brad Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

You know, my local dive had a special on Half-E-Weizen for only $4/bottle. I was not a huge fan of it, though. The Germans have spoiled me, what with Paul Aner, Franziskaner, and Hacker-Pfschorr.

No one, not even the Belgians, can brew wheat beer like ze Germans. But, Bell's wheat series is about as true to style as you can get outside of Germany.

12. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

+1

I liked Hoegaarden and then after drinking some good hefes I realized how gross it is. It was like drinking mike's hard lemonade. My girlfriend likes it though...

13. luftvier

+1

I liked Hoegaarden and then after drinking some good hefes I realized how gross it is. It was like drinking mike's hard lemonade. My girlfriend likes it though...

Hoegaarden is a decent Wit, but a bit sweet for my tastes. It and Blue Moon are really popular among my lady friends.

If you can get it, Philadelphia Brewing Co. makes the Walt Wit, which is fantastic. Same thing with Victory's Whirlwind Wit. They are unsurpassed, as far as my meager experience has shown.

Yards was making a whole bunch of beers based on the founding fathers' recipes. So far, I've tried their Washington Porter, Jefferson's Tavern Ale, and Franklin's Poor Richards Spruce Ale, brewed with spruce tips instead of hops. All three delicious.

I love living in a beer town.

14. ACDoyle

ACDoyle Well-Known Member

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

15. dusty

dusty Well-Known Member

I had Three Philosophers last night and it was the best beer I've had yet.

16. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

I had Three Philosophers last night and it was the best beer I've had yet.
    That's my favorite out of all the Ommegang beers, and top 3 of all the quadrupels I've ever had. It's great with a nice, big piece of medium rare NY strip. [​IMG] Speaking of which...I have to start thinking about dinner...

17. DK Protagonist

DK Protagonist Active Member

Breckenridge 471, Small Batch IPA
    http://www.breckbrew.com/beer/smallbatch.html

Cost around 13$ for a 6, but one of the best drinks I've ever had, even better than my normal Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA. Looking forward to trying the ESB.

18. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

Mine. I make a mean IPA. It's in secondary right now.

19. dimshum

dimshum Well-Known Member

Hands down, Augustiner beer in Munich, Germany.

20. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Well-Known Member

I just got a bottle of Three Philosophers that I am saving for a day that I can really relax and enjoy it.

I had this hefe tonight

http://www.brauerei-weihenstephan.de...2d7375c5f37636

I really don't care for it as much as Hacker Pschorr or Franzicaner. Didn't seem as drinkable. I only had one bottle I will see how the next one goes.