1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by DNW, Jul 20, 2007.

1. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

Trappiste Rochefort. A man has to have a good beer source.

At a cafe I might have a Meteor, because I like the name.

2. Brian278

Brian278 Well-Known Member

I'm alway buying something new as there's several liquor stores with great selections in my area, but this is my standby, the one beer that's constantly in my fridge:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. JBZ

JBZ Well-Known Member

Guinness in the fall/winter. Bass Ale in the spring/summer. Although, frankly, I'll drink either at any time.

4. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

I love DFH (60-minute IPA is my choice), but all their beers are >6% ABV. In the summer especially, it's just too much.

I still contend that the best beer after a long day is a Yuengling Lager in the bottle. Their canned black and tans helped me pass many a drunken evening in high school, but these days it's lager in a bottle. Not my favorite beer, but definitely my standard fridge beer.

[​IMG]

5. spertia

spertia Well-Known Member

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, without a doubt.

6. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

I am a big white beer fan - mostly blue moon now, hogarten when available, some of the whites out of munich, when available.

my absolute favorite is alt beer, from a real barrel - when they pour the beer with gravity.

7. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Well-Known Member

So to answer your question, no, I don't get drunk halfway through a sixer.

I wasn't referring to tolerance so much as the fact that when you buy drinks in a bar, you only buy the first (x), depending on whatever, sober. In a store, you get the whole kit and kaboodle at once without having drank. Since it's easier to spend money when you've been drinking, storebought shit seems more expensive.

8. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

I am a big white beer fan - mostly blue moon now, hogarten when available, some of the whites out of munich, when available.

my absolute favorite is alt beer, from a real barrel - when they pour the beer with gravity.

I like Blue Moon once in a while, but I know that I'll have the most annoying headache the next day -- not enough to call it a hangover, but just stinging enough to be annoying. Thing is, I actually like the taste.

One of my other favorites, when I can find it on tap, is Franziskaner Weisse. Somehow, the bottled counterpart tastes nothing like its twin on the tap.

9. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Well-Known Member

Summer: Samuel Adams Summer Ale

Fall: Killian's Irish Red

Winter: Sammy Smith Nut Brown Ale

Spring: Rogue Dead Guy Ale

10. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Well-Known Member

Always in my fridge: Asahi "Super Dry"

[​IMG]

11. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

Attachment 4938

Yay for America's oldest brewery. Another Yeungling product, but superior, IMO, to the other stuff.

Also (very) good are the beers Carol Stoudt brews nearby in Adamstown:

12. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

I wasn't referring to tolerance so much as the fact that when you buy drinks in a bar, you only buy the first (x), depending on whatever, sober. In a store, you get the whole kit and kaboodle at once without having drank. Since it's easier to spend money when you've been drinking, storebought shit seems more expensive.
    I see what you mean but I'm sure the other part of it is social, as in 'I have this round, my friends will get the next, etc. etc." and it still doesn't seem as expensive, not to mention you have the finished product in your hand when you pay.

Come to think of it, I bet a large part of it is social and setting. $20 for Knob Creek at a liquor store would just be ok, but $20 for a bottle of Knob at a bar would an outrageous deal and I'm sure people would step over their own brother to buy one. I think that's when you'd be faced with the $8/drink+tip scenario and $20 doesn't seem so bad...

+1 on Hoegaarden.

It's 10:30 and all I can talk about is booze. Thanks, guys.

13. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

+1 on Hoegaarden.

qft

14. whodini

qft
    Make it over to Pasadena one of these days, LD. Lucky Baldwin's usually has a great selection of Belgian white's on tap. I know in February they even have a "festival" for them.

15. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

+1 on Hoegaarden.

Make that +3. One of my go-to beers, if on tap.

16. pscolari

pscolari Well-Known Member

Allagash White - There a number of bars around Boston or Cambridge who have this on tap somewhere.

17. whodini

Make that +3. One of my go-to beers, if on tap.
    Ha. I only drink it on tap if they serve it in the correct octagonal glass...which pretty much narrows it to the one place I know.

18. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

Ha. I only drink it on tap if they serve it in the correct octagonal glass...which pretty much narrows it to the one place I know.

Haha...funny you said that. A local joint that I go to in DC serves it in that glass, with the brewery name printed on the outside. I never thought that was unique until now.

19. whodini

Haha...funny you said that. A local joint that I go to in DC serves it in that glass, with the brewery name printed on the outside. I never thought that was unique until now.
    Read the back label of a Hoegaarden one of these days. It includes directions on how to pour the beer into THEIR octagonal glass correctly.

20. Tarmac

Tarmac Well-Known Member

Duvel
    Schneider Aventinus
    Sierra PA
    Arrogant Bastard/Double Bastard
    Anchor Steam
    Spaten Weisse
    Ommegang
    Fin du Monde
    Samuel Smiths oatmeal stout

I can say that guinness categorically tastes like watered down ashtray rinse to me. Heineken is one of the most hein-ous beers in america. I would only drink it if I was in viet nam and it was served over ice. Asahi or the other japanese lagers are only good with food, I would not choose to drink it alone, although Kuronaga is good. Blue Moon tastes like Ommegang mixed with Evian, yuck.