1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by DNW, Jul 20, 2007.

1. alexg

alexg Well-Known Member

What state? I'll check against the handy chart. I'm in NY.

2. PandArts

PandArts Well-Known Member

Funny you mention Old Rasputin as I picked up a 4 pk of that as well...it's my go to ris. I really enjoyed the Stone and for $7 a bomber it was a pretty good deal to boot.

3. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

i had a cigar city guava grove recently and while i thought it was a great beer just not my thing

4. alexg

alexg Well-Known Member

Just had Guava Grove tonight. Not sure how I feel about it. It didn't taste like most saisons I've had, and there wasn't that much guava. It was definitely good, but I don't think I'd buy it again. On the other hand, Olfabrikken Porter was excellent. Too bad the store I got it from was 5 hours away so I'll never have it again.

5. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

I hated the Guava Grove but others have told me they love it. It really seems to be one of those hit or miss beers.

6. ama

ama Well-Known Member

Needs age.

7. randallr

randallr Well-Known Member

Both Michigan and Ohio. Let me know.

8. alexg

alexg Well-Known Member

Can you get Kuhnhenn? Your location says NYC, if you're there I can probably trade in person, PM me.

9. youngScholar

youngScholar Well-Known Member

That stuff is amazing.

Sipping on some Anchor Porter right now.

10. Gruntle

Gruntle Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A few new bottles for the weekend.

11. randallr

You guys have to try Arcadia's Sky High Rye...fucking delicious.

12. PandArts

outside the hotel in the french quarter
    [​IMG]

13. PandArts

$1.75 at a little wine and beer shop around the corner from the hotel.

[​IMG]

14. randallr

Panda....what's with you and all this heavy stuff over the summer? Damn

15. Bond111

Bond111 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Well I'll try and breath a little life back into this thread. These beer's I've recently tried, plus one that isn't pictured. Starting from left to right.

New Belgium Lips of Faith Series, Le Terroir. Listed on Beer Advocate as a American Wild Ale. This beer was great. A 22 oz bomber. It was very sour, much like the La Folie which is a Flanders Red Ale. Drank this to myself, and even though I liked it, at 22 oz for one person is just too much. It had a nice nose to it, and overall a great sipping summertime beer.

Chatoe Rogue Dirtoir Black Lager. Had this tonight with some Smoked Pork Ribs. Excelent pairing. Nice and roasty chocolate flavor, matched up great with the Ribs. Again a 22 oz bomber. Drank this all to myself. I'd say if you get a chance to try, it's a very sold beer.

Madhouse Hopburst IPA. This is made locally in Iowa. Newton to be exact. Even though I really want to support local brews as much as I can, this beer just wasn't good in my opinion. It's missing a good mouthfeel up front, and the finish just isn't what I like in an IPA. I'm glad there are local guys out there, but from this, and their Coffee Stout(which the first bomber I had was way to nutty for my taste, and the second bottle I had from the same case about a month and a half later, it didn't taste the same, and even though I didn't like the first one at all, the second wasn't much better. It didn't have that overwhelming nutty flavor as the first go round, it just plain sucked. I'm a lover of coffee, but I won't be trying it again. I won't say I will never get anything by these guys again, but I'm expecting very little if I try anything else.

Rogue John John Ale. Had this 2 weeks ago. Also paired with the about the same recipe of Smoked Pork Ribs. This beer paired even better than what the Dirtoir. Maybe I'm a sucker for a good tasting aged Beer in whiskey barrels. I haven't had many other full bottles of anything aged in Whiskey barrels other than some local brews, which in their own respect were again pretty good from what I remember. I would recommend this to anyone who likes the style. One downside was the price. $10.49 for a bomber of it. I'm not sure if that's the going rate, or the shop marked it up because it was their first case testing in a smaller town market.

Goose Island Matilda. This was bottled on . To me I was expecting good things from this beer, because I've enjoyed everything else in their "Vintage" category. Unfortunately this beer just wasn't hitting the taste buds like I would have hoped. At first it was decent, but as it warmed, I found it harder to drink. Wasn't worth it. Only had 1 out of a 4 pack, so maybe with some age it will get better. Here's to next year.

Peace Tree Brewing. Another local brew, made in Knoxville, Iowa. This was a very solid Double IPA. I was impressed with this because with these guys being somewhat "new" to the scene. They also make a Imperial Stout, which in it's own respects is good, but this one is the better of the two. I need to grab a couple more just to age to see how it fairs in the coming years. I look forward to trying more from these guys. I also tried a few of their brews at our first annual Craft Brew Fest in May, and again a Beer Fest in July. All were pretty darn good, and outstanding was their "Cornacopia" aged with Brett in Templeton Rye barrels. That is made with Iowa sweet corn. I missed out last year on their regular Cornacopia, because frankly I didn't know about them then.

Sierra Nevade Torpedo. A great American IPA. This should be widely available if I can get it here in small town Iowa. If you haven't tried this, pick it up. Great beer. At $9 for a six pack, you can't get much better for a everyday drinker.

Long Hammer. Garbage. End of story. hahaha. Glad this was a beer I didn't pay for. A friend picked up some, and he didn't like it, but I thought what the hell, I'd give it a try. Easily a pass.

Lastly Boulevard Smokestack series Saison Brett. I bought 3 bottles of this. One to try right away, the others to age a year, and so on. To me I really wanted to enjoy this more, just because of how high it's rated on Beer Advocate. I shared this 750ml bottle with a close friend. He enjoyed it a lot. I couldn't get past how much "perfume" taste this beer had. I don't want to knock this very much, because I love what Boulevard is doing with their Smokestack series, and have really enjoyed everything else that I've tried within it. (7 excluding this one) Maybe with a year under it's belt it will mellow out more to my liking. I'm hoping it does.

16. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

I had a two brothers edel Weiss? Recently and I wanted to complain how the label says its a German style hefeweizen and if anything the citrus and tartness reminded me of a saison. No clove, no bananas. Then I had a slightly flat Paulaner hefeweizen and that hit the spot

17. youngScholar

youngScholar Well-Known Member

Anyone else dig the New Belgium Abbey ale? Good stuff. :D

18. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

had one of these recently, very nice summer beer. It pretty much delivers what the concept promises.

[​IMG]

19. ChicagoMediaMan

ChicagoMediaMan Well-Known Member

Just tried this over the weekend. Agree it is very tasty.

20. PandArts

Had this oatmeal stout at the ale house the other night and really enjoyed it!
    [​IMG]

I am now having Southern Tier Black Water series Imperial Creme Brulee Stout. The aroma of fresh vanilla creme brulee is quite strong...I could smell it while taking this pic outside! It is very smoothe and rich with strong vanilla and cream flavors running from beginning to end. At 10% it's a surprisingly easy drinker. I like it better than the Mokah.
    [​IMG]