1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Apr 6, 2011.

1. troika

troika Well-Known Member

What's your shoe size? I might have some random ones that are too big on me

2. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Well-Known Member

UK9/US10/EU43

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  3. colabear

colabear Well-Known Member

meet "Puffy Chulo", he's an orange nylon puffer jacket with smooth chocolate calfskin sleeves, chocolate beaver fur collar, and adjustable hood :embar: He'll keep you warm day and night; he cool like dat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    2 people like this.
  4. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Pretty proud day for me today, the coat I made last semester is being displayed on Michigan Ave. Kind of a shitty pic, what with the reflection and all, but you get the idea.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    17 people like this.
  5. boned

boned Well-Known Member

I have the same pair of GATs. The whole shoe oxidized to a yellow color. Used Fiebings white dye. Worked great but it did crack in some areas. I made a post on them in this thread.

6. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

@KoY it might very well be cheaper (and more comfortable) to just have the whole sole replaced. Or even finding some postman 101's.

7. malcb33

malcb33 Well-Known Member

I'm actually having my cobbler do the opposite and put a commando sole on my Ann D's. Rather than fill the gap I'm sure a better long term (and probably more comfortable) option would be to have the whole sole replaced with a Vibram wedge sole. The Vibram version looks pretty darn close to the original Ann D sole.

8. troika

troika Well-Known Member

Just finished sewing the lining in this morning. Freshhh

Tropical upholstery fabric and kubaro selvedge with washed goatskin accents

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    20 people like this.
  9. Benjaminba

Benjaminba Well-Known Member

Maybe not the right thread for this, but anyway.. Just for fun, I picked up this old vintage coat. It's huge haha. I don't know why I got it.. The tweed fabric was just too nice I think. And cheap of course.

So the question is, should I try to salvage it? Lot of difficult tailoring required which I can't do myself: remove shoulder padding, reduce shoulder width, slim sleeves, reduce overall length some. Also, it smells funny, so dry clean. Kind of a lot of money, but if successful it might turn out pretty cool.

Problem areas: slit in the back, huge armholes which I guess means sleeves can only be tapered, not slimmed all the way, just way too wide in the chest and shoulders. It's not so visible in these photos, but the with the shoulder padding, the shoulder seam probably extend like 2 cm beyond my actual shoulders.

Could also use the fabric for an awesome tote bag I guess, but it would almost be a shame!

Pictures below are with clamps in the back [​IMG], which probably removes like 10cm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] (the clamps!)

[​IMG] (lol[​IMG])

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  10. el Bert

el Bert Well-Known Member

Honestly I think the best thing you could do to make proportions work would just get sleeves shortened to your arm length, I have a Dries parka that fits oversized and once I got the sleeves shortened it was like night and day. But I think you could wear it oversized, you look slim enough to make it work.

4 people like this.
  11. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Well-Known Member

generally I'd agree. i mean, first question is, it's cool, but do you feel like it's you? if there's no question, proceed. dry clean if airing it out doesn't fix the smell, shorten the sleeves just enough, maybe get it slimmed down to the size you've got it pinned to, plan on wearing some thick-ass sweaters under it, and enjoy.

12. troika

troika Well-Known Member

Look out visvim

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  13. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Well-Known Member

Button and fabric samples for some trousers I'm working on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. ClambakeSkate

ClambakeSkate Well-Known Member

I made myself a shirt at work the other day.

[​IMG]

Super 120s cotton/Mother-of-Pearl Buttons/Handsewn Buttonholes in Silk thread.

17 people like this.
  15. iamacyborg

Thick YKK Excella zips are super nice.

[​IMG]

16. onijo84

onijo84 Well-Known Member

How do these compare to Super Lampo and RiRi?

17. iamacyborg

The only RiRi and Lampo zips I've handled are on a pair of Lanvin biker pants, the Excella's feel smoother. That being said, I'm comparing wider Excella to normal width RiRi and Lampo, so not a fair comparison.

No idea on Super Lampos.

I can actually source the thicker Excella's very easily, other brands not so much, so they've got that going for them.

18. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I find them much more durable as well as smoother than riris. Riri zips, ime, are the premium zippers most likely to lose teeth or otherwise break. Super Lampos, ime, are not as smooth.

19. Timbaland

Timbaland Well-Known Member

I have a pair of shiny black side zips that I want to make matte so it will go with more stuff. The shininess makes them too dressy I feel. How should I do this?

Would putting a deglosser on it ruin the leather? Would putting some kind of black polish or something like Obenauf's LP work? Or should I just leave it as is and just wear it with dressier stuff. Thanks.

20. tgaith77

tgaith77 Well-Known Member

Just use an ultra fine grit sandpaper. Use light, circular strokes. There might be some really fine scuff marks afterwards that you can just rub out with your thumb. Should give you a nice matte finish.

I had a pair of AMI black crepe soled jodphur boots that had a high gloss. Used some sandpaper on them and it knocked the shine off completely.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.