• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

tomorrowstars

Reaction score
Decided to try this out on some jeans I don't wear first. Started off with this wash. Now:

Edit: One shot in the last sliver of sunlight left today:

Last edited:

corneliusparky

Reaction score
multiple coats of black sharpie? Burn it with a lighter? Sandpaper? All three?

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Painted German Army Trainers

Obviously this is pretty easy, and not very hard to figure out, but this is how I did it. I just had some year old beat to **** sneakers that I wanted to give new life since I am going to get a new pair of the originals anyways.

Washing the shoes. This removes all of the oils, dirt, **** or whatever that is on the leather and will keep the paint from adhering properly.

Drying the shoes. This can be done outside with a hair dryer or inside a clothes dryer if you have a special attachment.

Once they are dry it is a good time to fix any detached parts of the sole with some shoe goo.

Painting prep. Once the glue is dry go ahead and use some sandpaper all over the shoes. Don't worry about ruining the leather; you probably won't and you are going to paint them anyway.

Mix your paints. I would not recommend using anything but acrylic to paint. I mixed maybe an 1/8 cup of water with a generous amount of paint and a little squirt of white. If I were to do this again I would add a little more water.

Painting. Pretty self explanatory, just go crazy and experiment. I used a gesso brush for this part, but you could use one of those cheap foam brushes as well. I would not recommend using anything smaller and a 3/4" brush. If you want to do a second coat, always let the first one dry completely. Make sure you get out any globs of paint while the paint is still wet

That's pretty much it!

UserName84

Reaction score
I think I am going to try this on a pair I have with some white paint. Thanks for the write up.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's cool. Are you going to try and wear them theom, or just experimenting? Thanks for posting

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll definitely wear them. If anything they'll just become gym shoes or something, but I actually really really like how they turned out. I just need to put some new laces in and I'm set.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look good. In the pics they look very much what you'd expect a pair of MMM's to look like if they'd ever done a black version. Good work

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They did do a black version?

the only thing I messed up on was a bit too much paint on the soles.

Nope, a black version was never made to my knowledge. Could be wrong though. On my painteds the white paint chipped off the sole entirely after one week. Maybe it will come off yours a bit too after it sits in the sun or something..

Psydelik

Reaction score
How would I go about dyeing a button down shirt? I have a few beater oxfords I feel like ******* up. Suggestions?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads