1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the input. That link is very interesting. Much appreciated.

2. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

I think it looks good.

3. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

Gunner, what last are your Atoms on

I think Alden should make a lot more of this shoe.

4. zazaza

zazaza Well-Known Member

realizing that the jcrew promo will work on the cordo captoes and chukkas I'm thinking nows a great time to get either one of these staples.
    Since my alden collection is meager (by SF standards), consisting of a PTB, longwing, all weather walker and tanker boot, I'm wondering which one will give me more use.
    anyone who has either (or both) care to chime in?

5. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

The captoe boot by far.
    At least for me.

6. uninkco

uninkco Well-Known Member

Just ordered my first Cigar in the form of a captoe boot on the Grant last from Alden DC. Kathy was a pleasure to deal. Free ground shipping and no tax since I'm in NY.
    Thanks for the heads up alcibiades!

7. MickCollins1916

MickCollins1916 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Uncle! They're seeing their first action today. Love 'em.

[​IMG]

8. closerlook

closerlook Well-Known Member

they'll take care of you.

9. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

i vote-cap toe

1 person likes this.
  10. mcarthur

very nice

11. mcarthur

thank you for posting

12. Gunner72

Gunner72 Member

Alcibiades, Shoemart (2nds) listed it as barrie. Most of the atoms I've seen elsewhere are tremont I believe.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  13. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Well-Known Member

It's weird from the retailer's point of view too! I had a hand in "designing" the Unionmade version of the boots in question- in fact, most of the special edition shoes and boots for Unionmade have had my hand in their creation. I don't think Alden puts much effort into making sure each retailer has unique make-ups with no duplicates. For the most part, it's left up to the retailers. I believe that pretty much all the key Alden retailers are respectful to each other when trying to come up with original styles that hopefully are what the customers want. Nobody is trying to copy another store's shoe, but there are cases where 2 stores submit similar or even the exact same orders without knowing it until they arrive 10 months later. that said, everybody sees what details and color combos are working and can become inspired by another retailer's make-up. In the case of the Uniomade Halleck boot, I was mainly influenced by the Bureau of Belfast longwing. Right around that time, there were pictures of that shoe going around the web and everybody was flipping for how nice the combination of #8 shell and a light antique edge looked. I took the idea and thought it would be perfect for a boot. Another thing is that we retailers are always reading forums like this and listening to what the fans are looking for - like "no speed hooks" for instance.

14. rmspawn

rmspawn Well-Known Member

+1 on the Captoe Boot.

15. WhatAboutBob

WhatAboutBob Well-Known Member

I bought the chukka, but I wear jeans everyday, plus I have a pair of LWB in #8 for dressier occasions - which look awesome with jeans on too. Also, my size would not ship until Jan in captoe, so I wanted something under the tree (helping the wife with xmas shopping)...

16. seer

seer Well-Known Member

Stitching on the INDY boot: I really [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]like the Brown Chromexcel[/FONT][/FONT] Indy boot - but I don't like the white stitching on the toe of the boot. Can this stitch be colored to match the boot? Has anyone ever done it? What did you use? Thanks...

17. JPFNY5

JPFNY5 Well-Known Member

I just wanted to give you some props for your collaborations!!! Well Done! (Now how about that navy cordavan longwing??!!)

18. stoneray

stoneray New Member

My first post ! [​IMG]

Alden Tanker Boot Shell Cordovan
    [​IMG]

19. mcbrown

mcbrown Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, speed hooks are actually growing on this Alden fan. To paraphrase Churchill, speedhooks are the worst way of lacing a boot, except for all the other ways.

20. fitchottie

fitchottie Well-Known Member

I finally pulled the trigger, got the Alden # 8 cap toe, and the plain toe, and the tobacco long wing(25%) off and the indy, also the chukka.... I just had to with the 30% off..... what a steal. Got to love Jcrew.... Oh and the Snuff suede plain toe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.