• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Where can I get those jeans...sick! WK, this happened to two of mine. I guess some customers will take more of this than others simply because of the Alden aesthetic/mystique (more aesthetic in my mind). You just can't find shoes styled the same way, in the same leathers. When it comes down to it, its all how much you love their look, and I gather you could give or take it. For the record, again, I sent mine back, and got the shoes back repaired perfectly FOC from Alden in a week and a half (Brooklyn to Mass). I did have to pay postage, but I was willing to. As far as C&J, its a VERY different look. Sure its quality construction, but most of their offerings are simply too sleek for the aesthetic I want. I like a shoe that can go between jeans and trousers easily (probably why I'm not a big fan of the Indy). I also like a shoe of substance (some will call it clunky), you won't get that from C&J. Kind of like apples and watermelons. Both are great fruits, but suited for very different tastes/times. If your work, like mine, easily allows a more casual/creative BD, the only C&J shoe I can think of that bridges that is the Darlton Wingtip (a beauty which I own in Scotchgrain). If the Alden "look" is what you love, try looking at Trickers, although to me they are even more clunky, and sometimes, like the Indy Boot, are best suited only for casual (jeans/chinos).
I think you could find a lot of C&J that is in the same stylistic ballpark as Alden, beyond the Darlton wingtip. obv there is the Darlton PTB and the Darlton loafer which are extremely similar to some of the most classic Alden models. boots like this or this or http://www.pediwear.co.uk/crockett/products/3536.php have a lot in common with Alden boots people love, and straddle that dress/casual line you reference. it's just that C&J also has a lot of sleek business type shoes. (Alden does too, but people itt don't really care about those as much as the streetwear aldens)

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mg428
I did not understand. Are those captoe boots from J. Gilbert? AFAIK they have/will have the non-blind eyelet version.
My boots (plaza last #8 cap toe) are from Leathersoul. J. Gilbert is releasing the exact same pair later this year with a commando sole
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Where can I get those jeans...sick!
thanks! They are RRL Slim Fit in Oxblood

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
My boots (plaza last #8 cap toe) are from Leathersoul. J. Gilbert is releasing the exact same pair later this year with a commando sole

thanks! They are RRL Slim Fit in Oxblood

I have the plaza cap toe boots from Leathersoul. A great boot!

number9dream

Reaction score
I think Alden at this point is a waste of money. Sure, you might get nice materials and nice leather, but what's the point if the stitching is complete ****. Alden has some of the worst stitch work that I have ever seen on a pair of shoes. It's really atrocious. With the money I'll get back from returning these, I'll look into C&J.
For their part, C&J has quality control issues as well. I had to recently return a pair of the beloved Darltons that I bought at the recent RL sale because the heel lining of one shoe around the opening became completely detached so that a flap of leather was hanging out the back of the shoe around my ankle. This happened after only 2 wears (on carpet). The other shoe showed signs of the same defect, but not as extreme. When dealing with handmade shoes and semi-exotic leathers, I understand how manufacturing differences, imperfections and even flaws can happen. It is always a matter of determining the severity of the flaw (is it a defect, or just an artifact of the hand-manufacturing process). Differences and imperfections can be expected and tolerated, but for the price, true defects are unacceptable and warrant a return.

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by number9dream
For their part, C&J has quality control issues as well. I had to recently return a pair of the beloved Darltons that I bought at the recent RL sale because the heel lining of one shoe around the opening became completely detached so that a flap of leather was hanging out the back of the shoe around my ankle. This happened after only 2 wears (on carpet). The other shoe showed signs of the same defect, but not as extreme. When dealing with handmade shoes and semi-exotic leathers, I understand how manufacturing differences, imperfections and even flaws can happen. It is always a matter of determining the severity of the flaw (is it a defect, or just an artifact of the hand-manufacturing process). Differences and imperfections can be expected and tolerated, but for the price, true defects are unacceptable and warrant a return.

Agreed, and that is why I overlooked most of the imperfections on my Alden shoes, because ultimately I'm gonna wear them and they'll become less visible as time goes on (and as I put my own marks on them)

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PorterInjax
I have the plaza cap toe boots from Leathersoul. A great boot!

fistbump.gif
I can't wait to break them in

Thor

Reaction score
A new arrival... ....the final piece (or so I say now) to my shell-boot collection...Cigar Perf-Captoe (barrie last, leather sole, all eyelets, antique edge)...MTO courtesy of Alden-NYC. I now have #8, Black, Ravello and Cigar boots (and CXL)...with no real interest in Whiskey (or #4) (Sorry about the wrinkley floods...not really floods just showing off the boots...no excuse for the wrinkles)
10r95w7.jpg
bfrms2.jpg

TWorksheets

Reaction score
Im looking for some general advice on sizing/lasts.

Unfortunately, due to location (Toronto) I've only had a chance to try on a few pairs of Aldens in the Barrie last. The 8D was snug in terms of width, and the 8.5D fit well in the width, but had some slippage in the heel.

Based on this info, can anyone suggest a different last that might work for me? Or should I be hunting down an 8E.

Thanks

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TWorksheets

Unfortunately, due to location (Toronto) I've only had a chance to try on a few pairs of Aldens in the Barrie last. The 8D was snug in terms of width, and the 8.5D fit well in the width, but had some slippage in the heel.

Based on this info, can anyone suggest a different last that might work for me? Or should I be hunting down an 8E.

Thanks

A little slippage in the heel is okay on new shoes. As the shoes break in a bit that will lessen. Tightness on your little toe is likely more of a problem that may never go away and could get worse as your feet swell from walking around a lot.

harrythedog

Reaction score
Thor;4563635 said:
A new arrival...

....the final piece (or so I say now) to my shell-boot collection...Cigar Perf-Captoe (barrie last, leather sole, all eyelets, antique edge)...MTO courtesy of Alden-NYC.

I now have #8, Black, Ravello and Cigar boots (and CXL)...with no real interest in Whiskey (or #4)

(Sorry about the wrinkley floods...not really floods just showing off the boots...no excuse for the wrinkles)

10r95w7.jpg

bfrms2.jpg
[/QUOTE

you could wear daisy duke's and make no excuse for em cause all i;m looking at is that GORGEOUS boot!

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TWorksheets

Thanks

Sure. Check out the Trubalance last. I don't have any personal experience with it, but I understand it's a bit roomier than the Barrie. Failing that, you should be on the hunt for an 8E. Good luck!

- K

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
DSC00495.jpg

Indy 403 with the Oxblood RRL Jeans

Thought I should mention I completely copped this today and busted out my red chinos and 403s.
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads