1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Still don't get why pick a pair of shoe that is less than perfect to show off in pics?

And yeah, Alden certainly isn't the best when it comes to quality control, all my Aldens had these written lines where the stitches are suppose to go or as a guide how things line up, they should have at least polished these pencil marks out before sending them out. I have these marks on the stitching on the toes of both my Indy's as well.
    [​IMG]

2. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

So you're saying that a pair of boots (in this case the 1000 Miles), which you don't even own, is of superior quality?

3. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Well-Known Member

That's almost certainly courtesy of J.Crew. They "distress" all the Alden's they show on the site. Look at the suede LWB's for example.

4. poena

poena Well-Known Member

your pic of the plain toes are nicer than the jcrew site. i never even considered them when looking on their site.

but i still want a pair of indy's first! just gotta figure out my size!

5. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

Maybe so, but some of the boots I've received direct from Alden have come to me looking like this. Not seconds, not irregulars, nothing - just "new" shoes, with some minor scuffing already present on the uppers. I used to make a big deal out of it, but now I choose to buy other manufacturers for dressier shoes and buy Alden for more rugged-inspired shoes, so the scuffs are less of an aesthetic concern.

6. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

Finally got my J Crew perforated captoes today.
    These plus the black wing tips and Polo Lindricks I got last month are by far the greasiest feeling and fragrent of polish new shoes I've ever experienced.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

8. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

I'm in love with mine. Glad I sent back the black wing tip boot and went with these. My only complaint is that they came in a generic cardboard box with no Alden shoe bags. They will fix that though![​IMG][​IMG]

9. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Lindricks are very good.

10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. quicksilverXP

quicksilverXP Active Member

Hey guys,

Just purchased those Jcrew Plain Toe boots in tan with 25% off in a size 8. These are my first Aldens... although I tried on a pair of Alden Indy's and a pair of Bucks on the barrie last, both in size 8.5, and both were really long and roomy in the toe. I figure an 8 would work well considering the half size down rule. I wear a size 8 in Red Wing Iron Rangers and Wolverine 1000 Miles.

Can anyone tell me if an 8 would work in these plain toes as well? It's yet to ship, so maybe I have a chance to exchange it for an 8.5 if need be.

Thanks.

12. tonio028

tonio028 Well-Known Member

Sounds like they should. I wear an 8D in Indy's on the Barrie last and own these plain toe's in an 8D and fit is spot on for both dressier socks and thicker socks.

13. zissou

zissou Well-Known Member

14. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I wear my #8 cap toe with jeans all the time.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  15. zissou

zissou Well-Known Member

Come on, rub it in a little more :(

Seriously, though, I'd rather have them without speed laces.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  16. rosenkruez

rosenkruez Well-Known Member

People w J crew Plain toe boots,
    Do any of you have any issue with the sharp leather on the ankle part? Indy or other boots seem to have another layer of leather sewn on top of the lining leather but these don't and they are bit of pain, literally.
    I know they look good but I'm debating whether I should keep these. On top of the ankle issue, I'm not a big fan of leather soles so I'd have to put another outsole on the front. (traction issues)
    And recent purchase of Indy on top of this pair adds up to a lot of money...

17. poena

poena Well-Known Member

i've never tried on Aldens. Could someone give me a little guidance on what sizing I should try so next time i can jump on the jcrew sale?

For reference my AE strands are a 8EEE. What would I need in an Indy boot?

Thanks

18. rkusmant

rkusmant Well-Known Member

it's Ravello, probably on Grant last, picked them off ebay

19. FENWAY

FENWAY Well-Known Member

Good chance Crew won't have the width you need. Check out an Alden retailer and get properly fitted to be sure

20. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I am ggrowing to hate Alden speed lacing more every day. [​IMG] If I did not already own a pair of Ultimate Indy's I would urge Tom to do a makeup without speed lacing. I think the commando sole and non-speed lacing would separate him from J Crew and all of the other Johnny Come Lately retailers. I am tempted to contact Johnny Come Lately and get pricing for a better speed lacing system or having eyelets installed. My advice with Alden's is to wait for exactly what you want. Do not settle as the makeup you want should come up soon enough.

Also and update on the Kiwi laces: Indestructible but come untied all the time. I need a thinner nylon lace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.