1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kippy

kippy Well-Known Member

The appropriateness of the last is dependent on your own body shape and how dressy one wants to be. The Barrie last is a classic American last and looks great with both suits and jeans. I have tried other lasts and they usually don't fit my wide feed and wide frame. I would gather that is true for a large chunk of this forum and is the reason Barrie seems to be a common denominator.

Namor, if you prefer another last, good for you please continue posting how you enjoy them. Let's leave the Barrie issue at different strokes for different folks. If you enjoy the "sleek" look I can think of at least 3 or 4 other shoe companies that cater to that type of look. Complaining about the Alden Barrie looking "clunky" is like complaining about Harley's having that charismatic and particular sound from it's motor. It's part of the package.

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

^ point taken. I completely agree with your sentiments

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  3. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

Just a heads up: I talked to Joe at Shoemart and he stated that their cigar shell PTBs should be coming in soon, about a month or two. Alas the smallest size they will get in is a 8.5 so I'm out of luck. I will have to wait quite longer for my pair.

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

Plaza Captoe From Leathersoul [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. HorseHide

HorseHide Well-Known Member

^Or you can buy them from Alden (I think both DC and SF) now...

6. TheWalrus

TheWalrus Member

Seriously. I have the #8 captoes from J.Crew and had to get in a D width, but I'd much prefer to have them in a C width.

7. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Well-Known Member

[/quote]This is why I went this route. I have the Pitt boot in black shell that I'm selling - the Grant last is just better. Hopefully special boot makeups will start to stray away from the Barrie. [/quote]

from a retailer's (Unionmade) perspective, Barrie last sells way better than other lasts. However, this is primarily for a customer who wants boots to wear with jeans.

8. bin31z

bin31z Active Member

Picked up two pairs of Aldens lately, Indy 403 and PTB both in size 8.5. The 403 felt like the right size at first but after loosening up, the toe area is tight and my toes get pushed into the front with every step. I have no worn my PTB in cordovan yet but worried about the same thing happening. I don't know why but in the Indy boots, they were nice and tight at first and my feet did not slide forward but after breaking in, my feet started to slip around a little more and it seems like the shoe got tighter. Should I try to get a shoemaker to stretch the indy boot? Should I worry about the PTB doing the same thing?

9. bin31z

bin31z Active Member

Here's are some pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Well-Known Member

if you're sliding around too much, try a thin insole. my indy boots got way too loose (despite being tight at first) and I stuck in insoles and it helped.

11. bin31z

bin31z Active Member

Well, I'm sliding around so I feel like the shoe loosened up side to side but seems to have gotten shorter some, causing my toes to touch the front. I am really frustrated because I love these shoes.

12. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

Plaza Captoe From Leathersoul [​IMG] nephew, you are enjoying wearing your good looking boot

13. i10casual

i10casual Well-Known Member

Those cap toe are very nice. I think that will be my last Alden boot I purchase.

BinZ try thicker socks and an insole. You might be eating too much sodium. You would be surprised how much feet swell right after a high sodium meal. I have to unlace my trainers sometimes during the middle of a jog because it swells. Maybe this is what is happening with your toes?

14. uninkco

uninkco Well-Known Member

anyone aware of any cigar captoe boots available in size 10 D in either barrie or grant? probably give SF/NY/DC a call but thought I'd ask here first...

15. CHRK33

CHRK33 Well-Known Member

Alden DC had a pair about a week ago.

16. stant62

stant62 Well-Known Member

Would anyone care to share the most recent ShoeMart Alden seconds list for size 9D?

Thanks in advance,
    Stan

17. applky

applky Well-Known Member

This is a valuable perspective. I am someone who will likely never buy on the Trubalance or Barrie lasts again (unless I can preorder a C width), but can understand why retailers get the Barrie last. It looks fine, and fits most everyone well. People who branch out into any other last you care to name most likely is a relatively knowledgeable person about shoes. There are probably many people out there who just, in their lives, are going to get one shell cordovan shoe, and that shoe is probably going to be the 975 (#8 Barrie LWB), or a PTB or boot of some kind also on the Barrie.

All of us who are calling for non-Barrie shoes are most likely people who own comparable shoes from other makers.

18. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Well-Known Member

It's not that they got shorter, its that ur foot just slides to the most narrow point of the toe because they are loose. maybe tongue pads will help keep you foot in place?

19. Trinitrogen Oxide

Trinitrogen Oxide Active Member

Jack Spade is doing 30 percent off this weekend, last time they did this it was August and I picked up beautiful pair of Indys. Really small selection though. They really only carry the 405, a beautiful cordovan wing time, suede chukka and a suede buck.

20. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

^ do you have a link? Can't find anything

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.