1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Well-Known Member

Nice purchase! Hope they workout for you, suede is ultra comfortable.

2. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Well-Known Member

Thanks! Unfortunately I'm in the 9s. Bummer.

3. lagsun

lagsun Well-Known Member

I took the irregular plunge once again as I wanted to try a pair of suede boots in a size different than I usually wear (8.5d Barrie -> trying 8E Barrie). I've made 4 irregular purchases in the past and still have one pair (#8 Chukkas). All the others I sold off due to not liking fit and/or style (brown calf wingtip boot w/commando sole on Leydon, unlined tan suede chukka on Leydon and brown suede chukka w/crepe sole on Barrie).

We'll see how these go.....

[​IMG]

4. jt2gt

jt2gt Well-Known Member

I was hoping for a #8 chukka in my size on irregular list, but not there. I settled for a pair of snuff sued pennys on van last (size 8), look great. Only flaw is a spot of snarky suede on the very back...perfect place for it. Rest of shoe looks great and fit is on the money.

JT

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

6. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

Do you find the tongue sliding off to the side to be uncomfortable?

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

its annoying more than anything else. What is uncomfortable is when the speedhooks snag the pant, especially the stitching. Oooff

8. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

I noticed that on the C&J for Polo Lidricks I just got, the tongue is stitched down on one side to prevent the sliding.

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

ahhh, yes, I thought of asking a cobbler to do this on my Alden Boots. Cant wait to get my Lindricks!

10. g.michael

g.michael Well-Known Member

Boring, I know, but I just received an "irregular" pair of Aberdeen lasted full-strap loafers in Color 8 from Shoemart. I've been going through some sizing issues lately but it seems to have worked out with these.
    The only flaw/blemish I can see is that someone tried them on and minimally creased them. They look and feel awesome!!!!:slayer:

11. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

That seems to be the best solution. It would be nice if Alden took care of it, but I guess you could have someone put in a few stitches locally.

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

noice. I think most would be pleasantly surprised with the Aberdeen last. Initially, I thought it was a narrow last, reserved for only narrow feet, but I was impressed with how well they fit. Aberdeen is probably one of the more under appreciated Alden lasts

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  13. k11

k11 Member

[​IMG]

Hi, Can I ask about the cordovan?

There are a lot of cracks on this pair. I know these parts had some stress. But I want to wear my shoes a long time.
    and I also know i do not have to wear cordovan in the rain.

Do not you have any suggestion about your cordovan with the cracking?

14. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

Those with suede/nubuck, how do you care for them?

I know the sand suedes I ordered will pick up dirt and grime sooner or later. I had a pair of Clarks Desert Boots in several colors and they got dirty sooner or later. I never bothered cleaning them because they were cheap enough to replace.

15. nbernie

nbernie Well-Known Member

Namor- you have really got that sizing down a width thing down; your shoes boots/ always look incredibly long and sleek.

Also, WHERE IS MAC?! No pics in a while.

16. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Well-Known Member

AGGGGHHH!! TWISTED LACES AND SLIDING TONGUE! AAAAGGGHHHHH! /ocd again.

;)

(seriously, both are just.. pet peeves of mine. I get over the strings after awhile, but the tongue always bothers me. Nothing worse than having to stop and adjust your shoe/boot tongue every so often.)

17. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Well-Known Member

anyone with experience hiking with alden indys with a commando sole? was it alright?

18. humeee

humeee Member

I'm hoping for some input with a perplexing sizing puzzle. I have a pair of J.Crew longwings in 10D that are about 1/2 size too large. I wanted to upgrade to shell, so I ordered a pair of #8 longwings in 9.5D, thinking they would be perfect. But, if anything, they're even larger than the 10D! The exterior of the two pairs seems exactly the same size, and the shell shoes seem a little larger inside. Am I losing my mind? Is there a chance one of these pairs is mislabeled? Are there systematic size differences between shell and non-shell shoes? What's going on? Here are some photos (sorry for bad quality) that hopefully illustrate my puzzlement.

I think this pair has got to be returned, but the question is what do I replace it with? Same thing in size 9? Same model different pair in size 9.5? I'd appreciate any advice from veteran Alden owners.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. trunks206

trunks206 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the club Jason we are getting more members day by day.
    Sweet boots I love that Unionmade make-up with the commando soles. Enjoy them my man.

Porter and RKD: Pure sex. USPS needs to hurry up!

NAMOR: Well done man. Plaza last?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  20. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

I have one pair of Barrie last shoes which definitely feel larger than my others. Maybe 1/4 of a size larger.
    Of course that one big pair is calf CXL and not shell.
    There's no systematic size difference and it seems to just be more of the Alden "charm".

If the 9.5s really do feel bigger than the 10s, I'd go with mismarked and try another 9.5.

BTW, the exterior sole measure is an almost useless in comparing shoes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.