1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blue collar

blue collar Well-Known Member

Yah i second that. Wolverine being an unlined chromexcel (leather stretch) boot i had to size down one whole size.

Cons, sperry,...everything else -size 12
    Alden (Barrie, Trubalance) -size 11.5 D
    Wolverine 1000 mile -size 11 D

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  2. REguy

REguy Well-Known Member

My score from this round of Shoemart seconds. The only defect I can find is an inconsequential scratch on the back quarter of the left boot that a light buffing will easily take care of. This is my first pair on the Grant last. I wear the same size in it as I do in the Barrie. Given its nicer shape and better fit, I'll definitely seek it out more in the future.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. interlockingny

interlockingny Well-Known Member

Nice to see that they worked out for you.

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

REguy, those are the sechs. glad it worked out

5. REguy

REguy Well-Known Member

Yeah, these turned out to be winners. Actually, I've had first quality pairs that were WAY worse than this pair. If these get dumped in the seconds pile, this could bode well for the future of Alden quality control. Fingers crossed.

Also, after having them on my feet, I'm hopping on the moar-Grant-less-Barrie bandwagon :slayer:

6. jslade

jslade Well-Known Member

Damn, I signed up for the Seconds list. Hopefully something nice comes along the next time around!

7. jslade

jslade Well-Known Member

Guys, I noticed a small "hole" near the back of my boot today. I'm not sure how it came to be, but I'm fairly certain that it popped up recently. I checked the inside of the boot, and it didn't puncture all the way through. Any thoughts on whether or not this hole will grow in size? Should I be concerned?

[​IMG]

I got some Kiwi mink oil in the mail today. I'm going to apply it to these Pitt Boots and hope that it'll work in waterproofing them. :)

8. interlockingny

Yea. IMO, the Grant last is underrated. On their initial wear, they normally appear tight in the vamp area of the shoe or boot, however after a couple of wears they get to be quite comfortable. Just need to give it a chance.

Thanks for the pictures.

9. jessetk313

jessetk313 Well-Known Member

REGuy, what size are those? I know in 8.5 and 9 there were no Grant last boots unfortunately.

10. interlockingny

They are size 10D.

11. jessetk313

jessetk313 Well-Known Member

It sounds like the boots I ordered will be too small. I really hope that isn't the case.

12. interlockingny

I don't believe you have anything to worry about. I have this hole on my Alden boots. I believe it is part of Alden's manufacturing process. I forgot the complete explanation for it, but I believe this is where the uppers are joined when they make the boot.

13. g.michael

g.michael Well-Known Member

i've got the same thing on some NST's I own--same spot, back of the shoe. I wouldn't worry.

14. Stamper1924

Stamper1924 Active Member

My experiences exactly. I only wear my eyelet wingtip boots generally on the weekends when I’m not as pressed for time. I too have to unlace the top 2-4 eyelets to put on my boots. For during the work week, my Plaza Indys with speed hooks are very convenient.

15. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Well-Known Member

Turns out my sizing experiment is still onging... So, nice pair of #8 LWBs in my sig. Would be very interested to trade for a LWB in 10D if someone has a good condition pair. Shoot me a PM.

Also, some great boot pics these last pages! Thanks!

16. jslade

jslade Well-Known Member

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I was thinking that maybe I accidentally jabbed it with a knife or something earlier on in the day. :)

17. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Well-Known Member

nice creasing and evo already developing after one day at the office :)

[​IMG]

18. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

LMAO! this has been discussed to death. It is discussed to death earlier in this thread. It is normal...and not just for Alden.

19. rennavate

rennavate Well-Known Member

Are these whiskey?

20. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Well-Known Member

ravello day tripper boots from leffot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.