1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

Make sure you're comfortable with the Van last before you commit. It has a particularly low arch. I can't wear the lined versions, but I can wear the unlined with ultra thin socks.

If you want a shell loafer and can't fit in the Van, you should check out the C&J Harvard. They are very nice.

2. nurktwin

nurktwin Well-Known Member

Thanks! What's the most versatile Alden Chukka model for business casual Fridays -- with chinos or jeans etc? Kudu or suede?

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

tan suede

4. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

Ah, the Chukkas are also very versatile. I don't own any Chukkas from Alden, but I'm still kind of tempted every now and then to pull the trigger. I'm not a fan of suede based shoes here. Also keep in mind, the sole plays a factor. I'm not sure how appropriate crepe sole would look with a suit.

Namor: please keep us posted on how the B. Nelson resoling holds up with time. My shoes are far from needing to be resoled, but it would be good to have a place in mind when the time comes.

5. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

it is a shame they will not do it. i would assume based on their business model it does not make economic sense. of course, our own nick at bnelson will do it. you have seen a sample of this work

6. mcarthur

our own nick does very good work. highly recommend

7. mcarthur

thank you
    the whiskey ptb you are selling looks very good

8. Dinosarti

Dinosarti Well-Known Member

Speak of the devil.... These just arrived today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also have a chukka in #8 cordo that I love!

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

Dinosarti, I love the chukkas. Did you get the belt to match the shoes? I need a belt just like that.

10. Morgan

Morgan Well-Known Member

Agreed. I just sold my LHS because I couldn't reconcile my feet to the Van last and have switched to the C&J for Polo loafers, which work much better for me. I believe the C&J for Polo are rebranded Harvards - can anyone confirm?

11. Dinosarti

Dinosarti Well-Known Member

Early birthday gift from my lovely wife. She got it with the shoes online from Alden of SF....

1 person likes this.
  12. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

Alden Stitching Issue Update; The back stitching of my Grant lasted black shell captoe came undone. I sent the boots back to Alden and the fixed them and sent them back all within 3 weeks:

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

the repair job doesnt look pretty but considering the severity of the tear, im both impressed and satisfied. Alden also threw in free shoe bags. BIg thanks to Beowolf who helped coordinate with theShoeMart

13. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

The Polos aren't quite the same as the Harvards.
    Polos are a full strap. Harvards aren't.

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

15. burningbright

burningbright Well-Known Member

^

And free shipping from Switzerland. Somebody kop those.

16. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This may be my new favorite boot and guess what last its on? Barrie! The single leather sole gives the boot a much sleeker look and the boot is a C width instead of D. The combination of the narrower fitting and single leather sole makes the Barrie significantly more appealing, imo.

17. TheWalrus

TheWalrus Member

Those are ridiculously good, NAMOR. I'm really thinking my next pair of boots are going to be wing tips.

18. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Well-Known Member

#8 LWB
    Cigar NST
    #8 CapToe Boot
    Suede Chukka
    Ravello PTB
    and so whiskey doesn't feel left out
    Whiskey WTBoot

If I could afford them both AND a good divorce attorney, I'd prob buy. Since I can't, I guess I won't get either.

19. g.michael

g.michael Well-Known Member

I don't understand--you're actually happy with that? It looks like crap. If the tear was your fault I can understand Alden just sewing it up. If the tear happened from normal wear, that's a manufacturing flaw and they should have come through with new boots or a merchandise credit of some sort. It looks like you could have stitched that yourself.

20. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

I wasn't going to say anything about this, but I agree with you. Sometimes if feels like people have battered woman syndrome when it comes to Alden quality.

I'd be super pissed if that happened on a $200 pair of Allen Edmonds seconds. The fact that Shell Aldens cost nearly $700 and people put up with issues like this doesn't make sense to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.