1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

I pulled out an accursed pair of Barrie lasted shoes to compare against my shell C&Js. My Aldens are size US 7D, and my C&Js are a UK 6.5E. The heel cup of the Barrie lasted shoe was at least 1/4 inch wider than the C&J 325. The toe boxes were nearly identical in width, as are the lengths.

I used a compass, since I don't own a caliper, so the measurements are fairly accurate.

2. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Well-Known Member

You are aware that shell isn't something you just crank out like pencils, right? First you need horses, then you need to raise them, then you need to kill em skin em and then tan the hides, which takes 7 months, according to Horween. Now, last I checked there weren't exactly massive herds of horses being shoved into feedlots, so you're already constrained from that end. Not to mention that just like everything else, you've got at least a 7 month window before anything you make today will available to put on the market, not to mention several years to ramp up horse raising. So, there's a sudden surge in demand for Shell. Do you immediately try to double production in anticipation or do you slowly build your channels up so you don't end up with a lot of unsold product, etc. I don't think the problem is they need to hire more people, but more like they need more actual raw material since they seem to batch it out anyway.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  3. Joenobody0

Not only do you need the shells, they have to be high enough quality for use. Supposedly it's Cigar that's unavailable, I bet they have plenty of shells that can be turned into black shoes.

4. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

I haven't got one in months as well.

5. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

Congrats!

Your addiction starts now.

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

+1

7. HorseHide

HorseHide Well-Known Member

Really? You need horses? Thanks for the clarification. In fact it is just like pencils (they come from trees, right?) and any other thing that is manufactured - there's a lead time for everything. JoeNobody is correct that the lighter shells are more difficult to produce because of the inability to mask imperfections (whip marks from the races maybe) but last time I checked Ron Rider was getting any shell he wanted (including gun metal) because he was willing to pay. It's all about the Benjamins.

8. CharlieAngel

Uh, when you're out of something, how does having more money help? Last I checked, having a couple billion dollars won't bring back the Tasmanian Tiger, etc. The point is, your stupid little comment above made it sound like all they had to do was open up another production line, when there are, as you even noted yourself, so many other restraints that would make that potentially unfeasible, least of which is the fact that even if Horween added 100 new employees, it wouldn't mean dick if they don't have the actual horsehide to work with. Pencils are generally made from trees, you're right, but there's also 10 million fuck tons of trees out there being actively harvested. If Horween is out, they're out. You are correct, however, in that the statement could be "Horween is out of shell (at the prices that we're willing to pay)". Just because one guy can get some shell from somewhere doesn't mean he's buying it in the quantities that Aldens (or other mfgs) require to make it worth their time or that he's even getting it directly from Horween. Perhaps he's located a source of deadstock or a middleman who happened to get his hands on something.

9. Joenobody0

The scarcity quote was from Edward Green. I'm sure Ron does at least as much with shell as EG. They all purchase it from Horween.

10. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

the boots look very good

11. mcarthur

enjoy wearing
    use the break in procedure

12. harrythedog

harrythedog Well-Known Member

hey namor,

they look great! are you happy with the work? were the commando the original soles, or had they been resoled by alden at any point? i ask for two reasons, 1. cuz i gotta a pair of ultimates that after close to a year need resoling, there is no way they could go 4 yrs... maybe i walk weird. and 2. to see how the work compares? thanks! and enjoy!

13. HorseHide

HorseHide Well-Known Member

Joenobody is spot on again, it's all sourced from Horween. And you know Charlie, my comment, stupid and dimunitive as you suggest it might be, still stands - the hides aren't the issue and the production capacity isn't the issue - it's the price.

14. mcarthur

[​IMG]
    cigar lwb
    argyles otc

15. CharlieAngel

You gotta citation? Give em a call and find out and report back. And I did catch the "stupid' remark and that was unwarranted. I shouldn't watch the Republican Debates while posting on the internet as my thoughts bleed over.

16. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

From 2009
    Good Afternoon
    The shortage is real, although it has been worse recently than it has been for 15-20 years. In the most condensed version, years ago pre- car and tractor there was a plentiful supply of horse hides, primarily draft animals. That supply has diminished over time. For our business, and the cordovan production, we prefer only the largest hides available, as it takes just as long to produce a small cordovan shell that is not ideal size-wise for shoes as it does to produce a large one. The issue in a nutshell is not enough suitable hides—we have capacity available (not unlimited but more than we are currently making). The hide we use comes primarily from France where horsemeat is still consumed though I am told less than before, and so to add insult to injury the weakening dollar will also drive the shell price up substantially at least in the short run. Hope this helps and feel free to ask any further questions. Thanks and all the best---Skip Horween ​

17. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

The Italians still eat plenty of horse, should start getting it from there too.

18. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

I thought they did a great job. The sole is italian made and the sole stitching is uniform throughout. The boots were originally on a commando sole. The new single leather sole is a little softer than the original Alden sole so only time will tell what that means. As far as the frequency of resoles is concerned, I try to not wear the same shoe/boot twice in one week. Makes its easy when you have anywhere between 25-35 shoes at any given time. :D

edit -

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  19. nurktwin

nurktwin Well-Known Member

20. Joenobody0

It's not in the regular stock catalog. That doesn't mean that no other store has ever ordered a run. I assume that shoe is popular so LS will probably be doing a re-order. Send Tom an email and see if you can add your size to his order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.