1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marg

marg Well-Known Member

^^ that's a good option for someone not living in NY, with taxes and the upcharge (almost $50 more than LS or Context), you are looking at paying slightly more than $100 from citishoes than from some of the other sources. Though the boots are awesome though and it may be worth it.

there is no tax if they ship out to a state they don't have a location in. I ordered the whiskey lwb from them maybe 2 weeks ago. free shipping, and they included a pair of shoe trees. plus, all the alden prices went up, so maybe that accounts for the difference in price. i did see context had whiskey longwing for 650, but a D width is just a bit too snug.

2. jhcam8

jhcam8 Well-Known Member

I have a pair of #8 PTBs and they're a bit dark. If I leave them out in the sun for a few days or whatever will they lighten up? I've seen some #8's that seem much lighter than mine.

Are you polishing them ? If so, stop. I'd just wear them more often and they'll develop an nice patina over time - that's why shell is desirable - it's not all the same.

Leaving them in the sun is pretty risky - no way to control the fade, if they do fade.

3. jhcam8

jhcam8 Well-Known Member

I think the tab is pretty much the only change. Another thing that is similar with both models is that they are both usually out of stock in your size. Good luck!

[​IMG]

If you don't want to wait Citishoes has them in stock. Here's the link...
    http://www.citishoes.com/custom_boots.htm

Funny they don't seem to note the lasts.

4. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Funny they don't seem to note the lasts.

I noticed that omission as well…I'll guess it's the Barrie or the Aberdeen. As for price if you want now that's a choice you make. That is a really nice boot and shoe trees are included.

5. Hot Dog Day #49

Hot Dog Day #49 Well-Known Member

Are you polishing them ? If so, stop. I'd just wear them more often and they'll develop an nice patina over time - that's why shell is desirable - it's not all the same.

Leaving them in the sun is pretty risky - no way to control the fade, if they do fade.

Nah I beat them up pretty good. Just brush em off when they get scuffs with a horsehair. I haven't polished them yet. They have a good patina already, but I'd just prefer them to be a little lighter so I can wear them with more outfits. I honestly don't care if the fade is unified, I think it would look cool as hell if it wasn't perfect actually.

6. jhcam8

jhcam8 Well-Known Member

Nah I beat them up pretty good. Just brush em off when they get scuffs with a horsehair. I haven't polished them yet. They have a good patina already, but I'd just prefer them to be a little lighter so I can wear them with more outfits. I honestly don't care if the fade is unified, I think it would look cool as hell if it wasn't perfect actually.

Then iamatlas' advice would probably help.

7. Hot Dog Day #49

So should I just leave them out on my deck in direct sunlight for a week or so?

8. jhcam8

jhcam8 Well-Known Member

^ Beats the hell out of me. If there's danger of hail, tornadoes, etc. I wouldn't. [​IMG]

Unless you're just trolling....

9. Hot Dog Day #49

Nah I'm not trolling I just got the shoes for pretty cheap and I wear them with jeans and stuff and want them to be a little more casual/worn in. I like them looking beat up.

10. CEE88

CEE88 Well-Known Member

recently spotted at Portland OR's downtown Goodwill store, Alden chukkas, size 9.5, for $129

sole was in good shape - might've been a flex welt but I couldn't tell for sure

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. jhcam8

jhcam8 Well-Known Member

Nah I'm not trolling I just got the shoes for pretty cheap and I wear them with jeans and stuff and want them to be a little more casual/worn in. I like them looking beat up.
    In that case, forget what I said about hail, etc - it could give you the look you want.[​IMG]

12. flyguy7

flyguy7 Well-Known Member

Never was really that into alden but after browsing through this thread a bit I'm in love with the 2160- cardovan oxford in dark burgundy.
    Quick question, do these ever go on sale anywhere, or am I basically stuck paying the $600 if I ever want them? It doesn't really fit a hole in my 'drobe so I can definitely wait

13. MiniW

MiniW Well-Known Member

those will not go on sale, best bet is to browse ebay or the buy and sell if you want them at a discount. It's crazy, I have them in black and still want them in #8, Aldens are addictive.

14. REguy

REguy Well-Known Member

Never was really that into alden but after browsing through this thread a bit I'm in love with the 2160- cardovan oxford in dark burgundy.
    Quick question, do these ever go on sale anywhere, or am I basically stuck paying the $600 if I ever want them? It doesn't really fit a hole in my 'drobe so I can definitely wait

I just got an email from Sherman Brothers today for 15% off the entire store. Unfortunately, I deleted it so I can't tell you what the code is. That would bring the price of the 2160s down to $500.

15. cimabue

cimabue Well-Known Member

Alden's thickest, heaviest, juiciest shells are often in black and #8 and are also had at the best prices.

The clearest shells reserved for the "rare" colors can be a little anemic by comparison I've noticed.

(Don't settle for an inferior product in any case. Watch your skirts, as they say in Minnesota.)

16. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

That's a great style. I have it in burnished brown calf, and it's a really fine looking shoe.

17. HarryFlashman

HarryFlashman Member

I found the laces to be crap as well and one totally died after 3 weeks of owning them. Strangely enough, I was in a DM store with the gf and so bought some of their laces instead. They go quite decently with the Indy and seem durable as well. On another note, I've been looking at either the Kudu 404 indy and the kudu chukka boot. Any opinion on how this leather goes with cords for the fall?
    I originally purchased the Kudu Indy 404, and it was a little big for me. I felt with the full lug sole the shoes were a bit too clunky. I sold them after a few wears and went with the Kudu Chukkas and really love them! The mini-lug is a perfect blend of subtlety and usefulness in foul weather. I would highly recommend the Kudu Chukkas (I really love the strong but soft Kudu leather as well - I got mine as seconds from Shoemart).

18. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

Fellas,

Are there monk straps out on the wider lasts or is it strictly aberdeen?

19. MiniW

MiniW Well-Known Member

^I've seen monk straps on Plaza lasts but that is pretty much the same narrowness as aberdeen. The style is really dressy so I don't think Alden makes it on a wider last.

20. Marcellionheart

Marcellionheart Well-Known Member

I originally purchased the Kudu Indy 404, and it was a little big for me. I felt with the full lug sole the shoes were a bit too clunky. I sold them after a few wears and went with the Kudu Chukkas and really love them! The mini-lug is a perfect blend of subtlety and usefulness in foul weather. I would highly recommend the Kudu Chukkas (I really love the strong but soft Kudu leather as well - I got mine as seconds from Shoemart).

Thanks for the input (and to everyone who responded so far). I've nailed my fit on the Trubalance last, so won't have to worry about the sizing. Haven't tried the Barrie last yet, though.

How foul weather are we talking about? I'm living in Canada atm, (though go back to Britain fairly often) and find that I need a pretty big lug sole to deal with the winter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.