1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Barrie or Barrie Jr??

2. mosy

mosy Well-Known Member

I don't think different sizes would account for such a significant difference in toe box shape.

3. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Relaxing comfortably on my shoe rack.

4. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

C-width, so I guess this is Cousin Barrie?

I don't either - it's definitely an intriguing photo comparison. I'll have to look at my various Barrie boots/shoes tonight and see if there's much of a difference in the toebox shape in any of my styles.

Just for easier access to take them out and photograph them, then put them away without wearing them, right?

5. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Stunning shade on those!

6. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

Thanks - back when I had an 8D, 8C, and 8.5C pair in my possession, I looked at all three pairs, with the 8C pair being obviously the best looking, and tried really hard to ignore that while I figured out my sizing.

I ended up with the 8C pair, 80% because of how comfortable I felt with the sizing, and 20% because of how nice this particular pair looked.

7. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

To be fair that was the first time I photographed them other than when I got them ;)

I like to see them when I reach for other footwear to wear. Haha

1 person likes this.
  8. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

Ok this is getting a bit absurd. Those are different photos and likely photoshopped. Could be different sized items, taken from different distances, scaled differently. There's no there there.

1 person likes this.
  9. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

Haha, I know that feeling a bit too well.

10. shoetree

shoetree Well-Known Member

I notice that all of my LWB's fit slightly roomier than my PTB's. I always figured that certain styles were lasted tighter than others and that accounted for the difference in feel. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with other cap toe boots fitting smaller? I thought I remembered the leffot naval boot having a similar issue in the past.

11. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Looking great today in your Whiskey LWBs. A great and classy model. I hope that you enjoyed them.
    A fantastic makeup and one of the best from the LS hay day.
    Looking good today in your PCT boots with custom antique edges. I hope that you wore them in good health today.
    It's okay, your Aldens overshadow the carpet. :)
    Looking good today NAMOR. Glad they work well for you.
    Looking good in the classic Alden today. Narrow Aldens are always nice. :) -Mike

12. mosy

mosy Well-Known Member

Ok so now jcrew is Photoshopping their pics? They want to fool their customers into buying 700 shoes that don't come as pictured? Please

13. budapest12

Please indeed. If you think
    this concept is outrageous I am genuinely sorry for the many other surprises you will face in life. You also seem to call this absurd while ignoring the various other points as to why comparing two photos for small sizing differences isn't exactly a science.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  14. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

Ravello Brixtons. A dude at work noticed that the right one is a bit lighter than the other. He asked if I was going to put some polish on it to even them out.
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  15. wigglr

wigglr Well-Known Member

edit: I regret this post haha

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  16. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

^^ I would. They look terrible. ;) :)

17. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

That is a grail boot for me. Well done, sir.

18. mosy

mosy Well-Known Member

I am not naiive to think that retailers don't ever photoshop pics to try to make them look better so that the customer will be more enticed to buy. However, in this case, j crew has no reason to change the shape of the toe last. That wouldn't make the shoe or boot look any better. So yes, I think it's absurd to think that jcrew edited these photos and changed the shape. And since many people who have this particular boot have said that they feel the vamp is tighter than in their other Barrie shoes and boots, I think it makes a lot of sense to see if there's a difference by comparing the photos. And as these photos show, there is a difference that is consistent with a tighter vamp.

19. hyong91

hyong91 Active Member

From mine really limited experiences,
    I have the round toe j crew alden boot, bought a few season ago , and another pair of round toes from roden gray brought from downtown vancouver,
    the j crew alden round toe fits smaller even though they are on the same last and are the same size.

20. budapest12

I didn't say JCrew changed the shape of the toe last. I don't think they did that. Perhaps we have misunderstood one another and perhaps I could have and should have been clearer. I mean "photoshop" in the broad sense that the photos are in some ways manipulated. You're trying to point to two photos and say the toe boxes appear to be of different sizes. I'm saying you don't know how photo 1 was taken and/or manipulated or how photo 2 was taken and/or manipulated. They might be different sizes (bigger shoe, smaller boot), take on different cameras, with different lighting, from different distances. I have no idea. Neither, I suspect, do you. One photo might have been enlarged, the other shrunken, before being finalized and put online. No idea. You're not comparing two shoes of the same size. You're comparing two different pictures on a website with no idea as to the process that went into them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.