1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

Thanks!

I honestly thought tobacco would be "browner" than the J&M's but there's a lot of red and tan in there. That doesn't bother me.

Aside from style choices like the welt/stitch/sole/heel treatment, it is interesting to see the different approaches to the longwing design by the designers - hadn't really looked closely or comparatively before:

- Alden has a shorter toe , but the vamp isn't really that much deeper.
    - Broguing is similar, but stronger/more defined on the Alden
    - For the "wing" the J&M sweeps where the Alden rakes straight back
    - 5 eyelets for the Alden vs. 4 for the J&M
    - The stance at the heel is tucked and forward on the Alden and swept back for the J&M
    - The facing is a little tidier and shallower.

In any case, I'm going to take my time breaking these in. The weather looks to be rainy for the next week. [​IMG] My beater shoes (not the J&M's) are going to get beat this week!

[I'm probably going to take the J&M's to a cobbler in Raleigh who seems to have very good reviews. I talked to the folks at BNelson today, and while the guy was really cool, and I'm sure their work is outstanding, I'm over $200 for a recraft of these shoes with a Dainite conversion. With the AE sale going on and a fair number of Dainite/similar choices for around that money on Shoebank, I can't see it. Will be interesting to see what comes from that.]

2. nikkiong

nikkiong Member

3. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    king wt boot
    merino wool argyles otc

4 people like this.
  4. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Well-Known Member

Hey guys, first post in this thread. I've been incredibly jealous of all the amazing shoes and boots (especially boots) that have been posted, and not just the exotic shell. Amazing collections here.

I've been looking to start getting a few Alden but I'm a member of the fat foot club and preorders take forever. So I either need to slowly lock in my size over some long preorder iterations (oh, the waiting) or find places that stock wider sizes. Of the places that list stock online, it seems like Shoemart has some selection of EEEs and the Alden of Carmel family has some, though very limited. Does anyone here know if the other stockists --- I'm especially wondering about the dedicated Alden shops --- carry wides? I'm happy to call around to hunt but thought I'd ask this group before blindly dialing. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

5. M635Guy

Those are seriously kingly! Cigar?

6. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

7. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

Yeah but I look cool in them stools. Also, scuffs come out with a deer bone [​IMG]

8. NYDRH

NYDRH Well-Known Member

Doc, i dont want to rain on your parade, and I hope your experience ends better than mine but check your mail..............FedEx has hit me with fees from a Cultizm purchase of Vibergs, it wasnt an import duty but some kind of service charge.

9. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Mac, your WT boots look absolutely stunning!

Welcome! ShoeMart, Alden Madison (New York), Alden DC, and Alden SF should all have a decent selection in narrows and wides, particularly of the stock models.

10. M635Guy

Greetings and welcome! It's good that you already understand that it is very difficult to just dip your toe in with these things. Four months ago I'd never heard of Alden and now I'm up to three pairs and a pre-order (of which three are boots - I'd never had a boot that wasn't for hiking/etc.). That all started when I walked in the Alden of SF shop just to see what shell cordovan looked like in person and wound up with a Natty CXL Indy that I tried on for fun and instantly fell in love with.

Of the three Mike mentioned above, I've bought from Alden of Madison and Alden of SF - both have been awesome. I'm plotting a trip to AoDC... I'm sure you've already realized how valuable this forum can be as a resource.

Alden of SF has its stock on-line (http://www.aldenshop.com/DrawSearchBySize.aspx), but I'd highly recommend stopping by one of the stores above if possible for a fitting and try on a few different styles. With the size implications of the various lasts it will give you a lot more confidence when ordering shoes.

I'm going to warn you now: confidence can be really expensive.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  11. Agravic

Agravic Active Member

Sitting at a morning office meeting ..
    Brown Regina Grain LWB

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  12. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Those are fantastic! Who sells that makeup?

1 person likes this.
  13. Agravic

Agravic Active Member

Brick + Mortar

14. katch

katch Well-Known Member

My favorites.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. docalden2013

docalden2013 Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear that, NYD :( I'll be on the lookout, but it's been about a week, so I'm hoping I'm in the clear. Just curious, what was the nature of the service charge? (You'd think the shipping fees they charge would cover the "service charge.")

More importantly, what 'Bergs did you end up with?

16. jhcam8

jhcam8 Well-Known Member

Love those, but as I have a pr of the boots decided to get the dark brown suede instead.

17. NYDRH

NYDRH Well-Known Member

Doc, sent you a pm re: viberg.

The fee situation seems to be hit or miss. There are a few threads that discuss it specifically.

18. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

A little cigar while waiting for the Ark to be built.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  19. Don L

Don L Well-Known Member

OM Hampton Cigar SWB

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9 people like this.
  20. JR Magat

JR Magat Well-Known Member

BB color 8 shortwings today