1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matty123

Matty123 Well-Known Member

Color 4 PTB on eBay. Size 8D.. Starting price of 2500. Should be a fun one to watch. My valet will keep me abreast of situation!

2. Agravic

Agravic Active Member

Oh my!

3. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Well-Known Member

I actu

they won't sell for that much - the premium you are paying for "Alden" at that point is nuts (#4 isn't 100% impossible to buy from other quality shoemakers). They would sell for $1k ish though, I would bet you could do a GMTO through someone like Carmina for much less

though Alden is such a fashion brand at this point that you never know.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  4. JR Magat

JR Magat Well-Known Member

I saw those, and for anyone seriously considering them, shoot the seller a message and strike a deal outside of Ebay. He's a legit seller, but he knows the (highly inflated) market value in the current state for Alden rare shell.

Didn't the color 4 LWB's that showed up on Ebay sell for over $2,000??

5. KPDarb

KPDarb Well-Known Member

That was the color 2 LWBs that sold for a bit over $2000 back in June. I find that starting price a bit crazy, too.

Edit: Sorry for the incorrect info.

1 person likes this.
  6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

If you consider these imperfections, you should forgo Aldens altogether. And I am not being sarcastic. What you have shown will be on nearly every pair you buy.

7. sevenfoldtieguy

That's a lot of money for a red shoe.

8. NYDRH

NYDRH Well-Known Member

Lol, well said. a red shoe that will eventually turn brown. But if he can get more power to him, it is extremely rare and supply demand tips in his favor. For my taste, I have many other purchases I would prefer to make with that sum, but to each their own.

9. Matty123

Matty123 Well-Known Member

'Tis

10. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Well-Known Member

Man has the Asian market driven rare shell into the stratosphere.

11. JR Magat

From what I can gather, it looks like this was a 2010 run for LeatherSoul: http://leathersoul.com/2010/11/22/alden-shoes-4x4-ptb-lsw/

I wonder what the price was back then and how many were made - rarity of makeups usually drives up price too (which we all know color 2, 4 are RARE as is, especially for Alden). The market for rare shell (and yes, a lot of Asian market sellers) is definitely booming.

It's amazing to be able to sell a shoe (even cigar, whiskey, ravello) that you bought years ago and sell for no loss (even well worn) or make some profit in come cases. I might have to do the same when my kids go to college lol

12. sevenfoldtieguy

I wish him the best. And, to be clear, I am not being critical, just making a statement of fact.

It is indeed a rare shoe. I actually think there is an outside chance he gets a bid.

13. NYDRH

NYDRH Well-Known Member

I read it as intended - no miscommunication, Cheers.

14. smoothie1

smoothie1 Well-Known Member

I'll take the opposite point of view. It's Alden Color #4, which Alden does not produce any longer. Also, the 4x4 shoe was produced in a small run. Unlike Color #4 boots, this is a less common style; although it may not be attractive to everyone.

I think the price level for starting bids is near where the market has been for this sort of Alden shoe. I would not buy them, but I have passed on and sold Color #4.

15. nikkiong

nikkiong Member

hi guys! I was wondering what products do u guys use to restore sole edges? I found that allen edmonds edge dressing seem to be a popular choice but I was unsure which tone is the appropriate one. For antique edges, do i go with chilli or brown edge dressing? [​IMG]

16. makewayhomer

retail price was no more than any other shell back then, they were probably $600 ish. but they never really were for sale to the public, they went to LS's best customers.

still think this is largely an Alden thing. there is a #2 Carmina in B/S here sitting for like $500

17. JR Magat

Agree 100%. And yes, from the comments in the link, it looks like the shoes were pretty much already accounted for.

If i'm not mistaken, didn't someone here wear this exact makeup recently?

Also, non-Color 4 talk, I bought a pair of used 990's from eBay that arrive today, and I'll be sending them to Randy the Cobbler to convert the edging & welt to antique. I'll post pictures of the finished project or progress photos he sends

18. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

Fwiw,
    I have red shoes from carmina. They're amazing, but do not scratch the red Alden shoe itch. They're different lasts with different aesthetics.
    Similar to buying shell Leeds and then trying on 990s.

19. makewayhomer

sure, they are different but I'm not sure inferior. I guess it's just befuddling how people go so much more bonkers for rare shell from Alden than rare shell from comparable or even better makers. I recently picked up sweet whiskey shell loafers from Rancourt (high quality, American shoe maker), if they were branded "Alden" they could have sold for 2x as much.

20. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

Anybody have a link to those $2,500 Color 4 PTBs on eBay? I'm curious to look but cannot seem to find them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.