1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gentfarmer

gentfarmer Well-Known Member

Color 8 today. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Rstldr

Rstldr Well-Known Member

Maiden voyage of Leathersoul shortwing #8 and antique edge. Sorry for the crappy iPhone pic. [​IMG]
    U
    [​IMG]
    O

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    5 people like this.
  3. tricky

tricky Well-Known Member

Damnnnn those are nice!

4. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Yes, you are correct. The "Commando" name is a bit misleading, hahaha. I prefer Dainite (which Alden doesn't offer) over Commando for this reason.

5. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

^ But, but, but... Dainite is dangerous and will get you killed if even a small child sneezes on the floor as you pass by...

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

What can I say?? I live dangerously.

7. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

^ Noted! Just mentioning "Dainite" on SF is living dangerously.

8. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Life, those are both beautiful boots, but I would have to give the leg up to the ShoeMart version. The Grant Last is terrific. The only problem with the Grant is that it is A) not as commonly well understood by consumers as no stock models are made around it and B) not typically as friendly and accommodating as the Barrie. But it is definite a cleaner and sleeker looking Last.

DV, those are amazing. Enough said.

Don, those Unionmades are special and you wear them very well. I love the foxing detail on them. Your outfit pairing choice is impeccable.

Congrats on your new Cap Toe Boot. They look very nice and glad they were worth the wait.

Zipster, those are absolutely stunning. The pants are pretty rad pairing...

Very nice Resis, I really like my AG Cititankers also. :)

Looking very good Hoit in your suede Perf Tip Boots.

Very nice Indy Boots. Cigar goes terrifically with that design.

Have a good fall and enjoy your Snuff PTBs.

2 people like this.
  9. stevefok

stevefok Well-Known Member

I am a big fan of the commando sole and weather you like it or not, you guys should check out this article about the history of the Alden commando sole by Alden of SD, certainly a great piece of info. Have a great day, Gents!!

http://aldenofsandiego.com/going-commando-the-history-of-aldens-commando-sole/

10. stevefok

stevefok Well-Known Member

Looking really sharp Hoit! I know you've been hunting for a snuff shoes/boots for a while and I am glad that you finally nailed it!! Enjoy them!!

11. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Well-Known Member

12. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the compliments on the boots chaps!

Just received another ShoeMart 2nds list. Absolutely nothing of interest. It's been the same old stuff for months now. We need another rare shell dump like the one that happened a couple of years back!

13. John Doe

John Doe Well-Known Member

What does this mean? Is it a special order only last? Would you expound on this?

14. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

indeed.

nothing worthwhile on 11.5/12D lists today

1 person likes this.
  15. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

These just showed up for me on the seconds list: 6-eyelet, alpine grain, stitch toe chukka. Definitely an interesting makeup. They show an original price of $720! They do not appear to be shell cordovan (I've only heard talk of Alden using alpine grain shell once or twice before) and I imagine these were made for the Japanese market as they are on the 379x last.

[​IMG]

16. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Well-Known Member

Excellent thought. I think the commando gives you more utility (traction) over other soles. That doesn't mean it's a full lug work boot, it doesn't mean that it's a hardcore hiking boot, it wears well, but that isn't to say that other soles won't wear longer. The piece of exposed leather is on the arch, and takes very little abuse compared to the the rest of the sole. Leather is fairly durable overall, so I'm not going to be too concerned if it gets some water or ice touching it once in a while. Things will be ok, it's a boot, not a Stradivarius.

My commando boots and shoes are all Goodyear welted, and meant to be resoled eventually. I'm fortunate enough to have the rotation where it will likely be years until they need such a service performed. I still love my C&J Islay boots that have Dainite, and I'm passively checking into Viberg with the same sole if I find a unicorn. It is not a bad sole by any stretch. I just tread with caution on ice and slick surfaces like wet smooth concrete or tile. I may just elect to wear another boot on days when there is a lot of ice.

1 person likes this.
  17. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

@Michigan Planner
    They look like alpine grain.
    I would buy them if they were my size.
    If they turn out to be shell grain, you hit the lottery.

18. Akeem

Akeem Well-Known Member

saw that boot as well. the sale price doesn't correlate to their cordovan price. more likely the retail price is incorrect.

19. Don L

Don L Well-Known Member

TSM Ravello NST

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  20. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

For some reason, 379X boots/shoes tend to have an insanely high retail price listed on all the irregulars lists. Not sure if it has to do with it being a Japan/Asian market last primarily, and thus the prices are out of whack?

They're almost certainly calf grain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.