1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TtownMD

TtownMD Well-Known Member

Yes sir got two vass shell today & few things coming in & after seeing all these gents flashing there lovely Shell exotic color I,couldn't resist. But I am not going to lie I am having hard time grtting Alden than any other high brand shoes.

2. TtownMD

Thank you for your wisdom & info help is greatly appricated & I will get in touch with them & see if I can also have some luck :D

3. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Let me preface this by saying I am an Alden fan as well.

So over the past 2 years you have received 90% of your shoes/boots in acceptable condition and this issue will make you move away from the brand? I must have some pretty low standards cause these look better than most of the Aldens I see or have owned. I have bought quite a slew of Aldens in the past 3 years and nothing has changed QC-wise in the past 2 years. This is about the state of affairs, there.

I think you may want to lower your standards a touch or keep exchanging till you get an acceptable pair like the other 90% of your collection. I don't know if you only own Alden, but I don't expect them to look like my $1k+ calf shoes. There is a reason those shoes cost more and it is reasons like this.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    2 people like this.
  4. Bbombers85

Bbombers85 Well-Known Member

Looking at Mike's spreadsheet, I feel guilty for wearing sneakers today. Back to Aldens on Monday!

1 person likes this.
  5. TtownMD

Mdubs aka mike I have seen some crazy things but you my friend are kicking this shoe game few notches up. Spreadsheet lol is totall another leage & game changer & respect to you my friend :slayer:

6. JR Magat

JR Magat Well-Known Member

As an engineer I can appreciate this! I started to keep a spreadsheet of my shoes/boots on my work computer (not at home... my wife already thinks I'm nuts enough with shoes) but main purpose being to help me determine which shoes to eventually sell off. I haven't tracked the # of wears, but that is actually some pretty useful data for what I'm trying to figure out [​IMG]

7. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

JR! Good! Someone else who is an engineer and can appreciate the data for analysis purposes! :)

I figured the longer I keep this sheet going, the more info that I will have to help guide my future purchases and to help me thin the herd... I have already used it to cause me to sell of a few pairs that I wasn't using enough of... I need to create a formula that calculates the average number of days between subsequent wearings for each pair. I think that would be an invaluable statistic... :)

-Mike

1 person likes this.
  8. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

Think he meant business consultant - BCG, McKinsey, Bain etc...

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

yessir, bidness is the most personal thing in the world

edit - curse google analytics now the side of the page is full of ads for "comcast bidness solutions" and "US bank your friendly bidness bank". i want nmwa again

10. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

My last new arrival for quite some time (time to sell sell sell!) showed up today: the Alden x J.Crew Color #8 PCT boot. A bit darker than my Color #8 LWBs, but absolutely stunning!

After being mildly concerned about sizing, since some folks seem to think it runs small, I can confirm that these do not feel any more snug than my Color #8 Wingtip Boots in the same size. That said, I do think that Barrie boots for some reason feel more snug than Barrie shoes in the same size. Shrug.

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  11. Raneleigh

Raneleigh Well-Known Member

Well, it's not for me to judge whether your standards are too low or not, nor should you judge me in this regard. For me, I expect shoes that cost almost $600 to be perfect or near perfect, of which both of the Indy's I received do not qualify. I own many brands that are priced both higher and lower and I don't think I'm being unreasonable in my expectations of shoes in this price range. That is my opinion.

You are correct, over the past 2 years all of the Alden's I received were acceptable. Perfect? No. But acceptable to me. All of them were purchased at brick & mortar stores where I was able to inspect them prior to purchase.

Are the two defective pairs I received enough to make me want to move on from the brand? I don't know to be honest. I can tell you that I will never order them online ever again, that I know for certain.

12. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

Let me preface this by saying I am an Alden fan as well.

So over the past 2 years you have received 90% of your shoes/boots in acceptable condition and this issue will make you move away from the brand? I must have some pretty low standards cause these look better than most of the Aldens I see or have owned. I have bought quite a slew of Aldens in the past 3 years and nothing has changed QC-wise in the past 2 years. This is about the state of affairs, there.

I think you may want to lower your standards a touch or keep exchanging till you get an acceptable pair like the other 90% of your collection. I don't know if you only own Alden, but I don't expect them to look like my $1k+ calf shoes. There is a reason those shoes cost more and it is reasons like this.

He is still pissed cause he thought they were coming with a catspaw sole :)

13. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

This model is terrific...I am thrilled mine fit great now as i almost was going to sell them...what an error that would have been

14. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Looks absolutely superb! Enjoy them!

-Mike

15. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I totally see where you are coming from. My question to you is; Let's assume you have the $600 Alden and a $1200 calf shoe from a different maker. What sets that $1200 shoe apart from the Alden that is made of calf and is constructed in a similar manner? "Paying for the brand" is not a reasonable excuse as 99% of world could only name Nike and Reebok if you asked them to name a couple of shoe brands.

For me, in my opinion, it is things like quality of stitching, overall finishing and QC that sets makers apart. Give Alden and <insert high end brand here> the same materials and that high end maker will produce a better product.

I think getting a perfect Alden is more LUCKY than UNLUCKY. I'd say you had a pretty good run going for your first 90%...it was bound to end. :)

1 person likes this.
  16. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

Is it me or is black edge trim being rebuked by the masses. I lover color 8 with either just doesn't seem to be a lot of love for the dark edge trim.

17. Bbombers85

Bbombers85 Well-Known Member

I have only 1 pair with black edge and the rest are some sort of antique. I don't work in a formal atmosphere so I prefer antique. If I wore suits often, I'd probably want black. I guess it depends on how it fits within one's wardrobe.

18. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I prefer dark edges on my #8, Be.

19. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

For formal styles of Color #8 in my mind it is Dark Edges. For more casual styles I can go either Dark or Antique Edges. I think that the tendency to favor the Antique is an indication of the more casualness of this particular crowd.

-Mike

1 person likes this.
  20. csmitty

csmitty Well-Known Member

Wow, awesome spread sheet. I have one that just has owned vs preorder vs sold. Haven't dove that deep in yet. Maybe at some point. Spreed sheets and graphs are an engineers best friend :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.