1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coinopcollector

coinopcollector Well-Known Member

The creased vamp is unacceptable for a full price shoe. The other minor dings will be found in some variation in every pair of new Alden's.

2. Wooderson

Wooderson Well-Known Member

Wonderful! I was just going to ask if someone might be doing a run of these again anytime soon.. It seems unlikely, but I'd sure love a pair!

3. TtownMD

TtownMD Well-Known Member

You were not kidding when you said what you said above. Called jcrew they have no other sizes only option is to keep it or return it & get a gift card :(

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  4. coinopcollector

coinopcollector Well-Known Member

With the creased vamp I'd send them back for a full refund. I'm sure one of the other Alden shops has a color 8 LWB in your size BNIB and without a creased vamp.

5. smoothie1

smoothie1 Well-Known Member

I think the flaws are fairly typical for Alden.

Other retailers (Alden shops) would smooth the creasing out with heat from a hair dryer, then sell them. You can do this yourself at home; it works like a charm on shell, as will rubbing with a cloth and/or deer bone. The blucher will crease sooner or later with wear.

Consider trying to smooth them out before returning them. Virtually every pair of Alden's has something small over which to nitpick. The most important thing is to get your sizing right and to get a pair with pristine shell and finishing. Soles get replaced, facings can be restitched, but crappy shell cannot be refinished easily.

6. TtownMD

You are right & yea I am returning them.

7. TtownMD

Thank you for your input bud really appricated.

8. Teeka

Teeka Well-Known Member

Congrats! I got mine the same batch too [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Thanks. They are harder to come by but some stores do run them. I am not certain how much Whiskey Shells Alden is currently sitting on though, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's a ton.

-Mike

10. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Ha! Those look pretty nice. The mohagony edge with Cigar is growing on me.

-Mike

11. ironclad

ironclad Well-Known Member

Freaking gorgeous.
    :inlove:

12. Matty123

Matty123 Well-Known Member

13. TtownMD

14. 89826

89826 Well-Known Member

Isn't the Alden of Madison split toe loafer on the Grant last? As far as I know, only AoC has made a split toe loafer on the Aberdeen last, and that was long ago. By the way, those wingtip monk straps are fantastic

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  15. 89826

89826 Well-Known Member

On some level, I understand why people get worked up when they buy shell Aldens with try-on creases. They are damn expensive shoes now, and you want 'em to be perfect. On the other hand, they are shoes and will be creased as soon as you wear them anyway.

I think my strategy, if it happened to me (and it never has-- 40 pairs into it), would be to ask for a break on the price. But if the store said no, I would just keep them.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  16. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

Anniversary ravello!?!?
    So nice sir. Sign me up for a pair.
    I've been looking for a pair of these at a good price. Glad you found some.
    What do you wear them with? Combo picture please.

17. Shawnc

Shawnc Well-Known Member

Great pick up and I also like how you've paired them. I would have never thought to pair charcoal and brown but yours looks really slick.

18. Shawnc

Shawnc Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it's Aberdeen. I've been stalking them for a while.

I'll pair these similar to how I do any color 8 blucher. Mostly navy and khaki slacks with cuffs. I will be sure to post a pic when I take them for a spin. Thanks!

That's a pretty good idea and I would have never thought of it. Definitely would attract less attention to the buckle. It's a strange dilemma for me as I love the monk strap style but not necessarily the attention that the buckle brings. Silver would be much better than brass in that regard. Thanks for the input.

19. Shawnc

Shawnc Well-Known Member

I would not pay full price for a stock model in this condition either, but if it were me, I would call jcrew again and try to make my case with another SA. Of all the Alden retailers I've dealt with, none have been better or more accommodating the JC. Offer to send a pic and ask for 20%. This worked for me and I really didn't have to try very hard.

20. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Wow, I wasn't aware that you could smooth out cordovan creases like this. I'm really not a big fan of the cordovan crease thing. Does anybody here tend to use the hair dryer as part of their regular maintenance on their shoes or boots to keep them looking nice just as one would do with polish and such?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.