1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BenLeaman

BenLeaman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Frans Boone saddles

4 people like this.
  2. breck81

breck81 Well-Known Member

Love these. Wore mine today. Yours are a lot brighter and more orange than mine. Maybe its the lighting. Great shoe. Been wearing it regularly with this dreary spring weather.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  3. stevefok

stevefok Well-Known Member

Hey Hoit saw your question and zippy's photo so I decide to wear mine today.

My Snuff Vtip is from Tassels HK with 360 reverse welt and crepe sole, those are my favourite rain day shoes. Zippy's LS version is definitely cleaner with 270 flat welt.

I got mine in around 2012 and seems they don't have the stock right now. I took a photo in the same angle as Zippy's for your comparsion. Hope it helps!

[​IMG]

Steve

2 people like this.
  4. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

BB snuff PT boots on TruB, maiden voyage

1 person likes this.
  5. ironclad

ironclad Well-Known Member

Mike,
    These are amazing little shoes. Your wife is to be commended for her functional fiber art, as are you for your photographic prowess.

I hate to challenge the Oracle of Alden San Diego, but it does appear to this untrained eye that these are crocheted rather than knitted. Much like the subtlety between Color 8 and super dark Cigar from a distance, the difference can be deceiving. I only raise this point because my wife is also a devoted yarn (knitting) guru.

Regardless, your original post and the hilarious responses had me laughing out loud. Well done, sir.
    Dave

1 person likes this.
  6. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Dave,

The director of yarn affairs here informed that you are correct. They are crocheted. She is impressed that you can tell the difference. I thought was good knowing the difference between double knit and worsted weight yarn, but you have me beat!

My wife knits and crocheted. First time I chatted with her via text, when she told me she was crocheting, I thought she meant croquet and thought that was kind of awesome. Little did I know how many trips to yarn stores that would involve. Look for a dude wearing Alden's in a yarn shop and you likely found me. :)

-Mike

3 people like this.
  7. steve2318

steve2318 Well-Known Member

More versatile in warm weather:

Snuff suede chukka or snuff suede Dover?

Struggling to decide...

8. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

Good lord these are awesome! My new Grail I think. I'll have to shoot Tassels an email, but I won't be holding my breath for a restock, or for a size 12.5-13... What last are these on? Thanks for the intel chaps.

9. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Steve, frankly about equal versatility but the Dover does provide more breath ability due to exposing your ankles. Which last fits better?

10. Handcuffed

Handcuffed Well-Known Member

There may or may not be a chocolate suede v-tip with very little wear (like 2-3 wears) on the marketplace right now

(or my sig)

11. steve2318

Well I only have experience with the plaza and Barrie last and both fit me great.

Have not tried the Leydon last yet...

12. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

If you know the Barrie works great for you and you don't have an Alden retailer conveniently located, then I suggest you go for the PTB personally. Fit is the king.

-Mike

13. steve2318

Mike,

Thanks for the feedback!

Steve

14. 100 yrs

100 yrs Well-Known Member

catching up on the thread - the snuff roys are awesome. the suede is tougher than it gets credit for, and the double waterloc leather sole is my fav alden sole i think.

15. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

thanks guys! its not an alden thread without the venerable jhcam8 and alcibiades

:cheers:

16. Bbombers85

Bbombers85 Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  17. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Well-Known Member

Whiskey Wednesday!

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. BenLeaman

BenLeaman Well-Known Member

I think it was the direct light from the sunset that caused the orange cast.
    They are great bad weather shoes. I was wearing mine last night to meet some coworkers at a little grimy dive bar. Lots of spilling and sticky floors :)

19. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

Those have creased in a very neat and clean way. :slayer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.