1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. totalair1

totalair1 Well-Known Member

TOTG-Does any repair shops do the Alden type commando sole replacement? I'm sure there's somewhat similar, but does anyone do a replacement of the Alden commando sole outside of Alden?

Steve

2. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

I really don't mean to contradict you in the sense that I respect your observations and experience. That said, I put the shoe trees in right away and have never noticed an issue myself. I was conflicted on this until I read Vass's book. He says to go ahead and put the trees right in. In the end I think this stuff is very hard to quantify and the main point is that you should use shoe trees.

3. chipshot

chipshot Well-Known Member

Where is Randy the Cobbler located? Does he do a nice job on resolving? Thanks Mucho!

4. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

He's in Tempe, AZ -- if you google that, you'll find him - I have no personal experience with him in regard to re-soling, and I haven't seen anyone post about that...

(actually, judging from the photos he has posted on instagram, etc, he has some really nice re-sole jobs and modifications…great photos)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  5. shoetree

shoetree Well-Known Member

Try moulded shoe.

6. totalair1

buda-I'm fine with your comments. I think everybody agrees that shoe trees are a must for your shoes to look their best over time, and to minimize creasing, or even curling. The second aspect...that of allowing the shoe to vent, or cool off is my opinion. To further clarify...it's difficult to know how much a persons foot sweats, and another factor is how often is the shoe worn?

Here's what I do know is fact for me. My foot does moderately sweat, and I live in Texas which gets very hot in the summer. When I was younger I could not afford a large collection of upper end shoes. Many of my shoes and boots got worn several days in a row. I noticed the inner leather liner would wear through, or crack where the foot flexes. Usually in the area of the shoe or boot has a cap (inside between the outer leather and inner leather)....at the edge where the arch tapers down. In some cases the leather liner would just fall apart. During this time frame I was using shoe trees. Back then I would put the shoe tree in immediately. However I was getting the inner leather liner failure as mentioned above. Back during that time frame there was a Church's shoe at the high end Galleria mall. I talked to them about these issues and what I could do to extend the life? I wanted to know before I purchased my first cordovan leather shoes. This guy was the one who told me to let my shoes vent a while before I put the shoe tree in. I tried it, and what I found is that my shoes dried out inside a lot faster. Everybody's foot is different, climate where worn are too. What I do know is I've not experienced a failure of the inner liner since I started venting for 30 min after wearing and using the 1 day worn and 2 days off method. No doubt it's extra work to allow a 30 min vent period but it does not hurt anything either. I'm getting into details because many of the members reading this only have a few pairs of nice shoes and I'm trying to give advice to newbies too. No doubt you are not new to this forum and I've got a lot from your posts.

Steve

7. pvoytko

pvoytko Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Guess i can finally post in the alden thread now that i bought these 403s

3 people like this.
  8. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

Exactly the point I was going to make, although he might not have had CXL or other casual leathers in mind.

9. JR Magat

JR Magat Well-Known Member

Welcome! Wearing my Indy's (405) today as well [​IMG]

10. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

Go with what works and by all means, I'm not arguing with solid results. Definitely interesting to hear about all of that, Steve. My only real interest in posting was too provide another perspective because some people freak out when they hear about one way of doing things and think they have to go that route or there will be huge issues. Now, based on your post, I realize that perhaps your method could be the best result for some people. I have many issues but feet that sweat a lot are not among them - so maybe I have been ok simply because of that. I've been to Dallas in the summer and I appreciate where you are coming from (no pun intended).

11. KPDarb

KPDarb Well-Known Member

Looking good. Enjoy them.

12. z8k1n

z8k1n Well-Known Member

Whiskey chukkas
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Watchman1

Watchman1 Well-Known Member

Yes you may my friend.

This is a classic model. I need me some....

14. RevisIsland

RevisIsland Well-Known Member

The guys at the Shoe Mart have told me that their cobbler gets his soles direct from Alden. I'm not sure who they use but turnaround is usually pretty quick.

15. totalair1

Thanks for the tips guy!

Steve

16. totalair1

buda-No worries...I totally agree there is not 1 answer for this scenario. In the grand scheme of things Texas has very poor coverage of Alden's. There is only 1 store in the DFW area that carries Alden. I've seen a lot of posts from Alden fans in Texas but suspect they are transplants of like me buy everything on line or during travels. Climate has a lot to do with how much a foot perspires. To be honest compared to many I've talked to in Texas my foot is not excessive, I think pretty normal. One of this forum's members moved to Houston and he talked about getting rid of his Alden boots because it stays warm year round there. I think its fair to say many of the members of this forum don't really do much of anything but walk in their Alden's. All of my non-shell have been to construction sites, attics, roofs, fishing, hunting, mud, snow ,etc. All of my Alden's and every shoe I own for the most part have been worn during conditions where you sweat. There's no way to avoid sweating in Dallas on a hot summer day when it's 105-110 degrees. It's not uncommon to see temperatures close to 12 midnight during the summer in the mid to high 90's. I've worn my shells in many of those conditions too, but I don't intentionally abuse my shells. One way to know if your shoes could use some "breathing" is to observe the inner leather...is it darker in some areas...that very well may be moisture wicked from your foot.

Steve

17. Don L

Don L Well-Known Member

Unlined Snuff LHS today

[​IMG]

18. KPDarb

KPDarb Well-Known Member

Lookin' sharp! These are going to be my first loafer for sure. I like them more and more each time I see them

19. Profligate47

Profligate47 Well-Known Member

Alden Leather Defender:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. JjasonL

JjasonL Well-Known Member

My friend has a pair of color 8 boots that are a few years old and look amazing. They became a lot lighter due to sun exposure. Sucks that I forgot to take a picture but I'm curious if anyone experimented with Intentionally leaving shell color 8 out in the sun for any amount of time. Direct sun exposure for an hour a day wouldn't damage it right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.