1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tb43

tb43 Well-Known Member

Long Island..Both would be similar travel time so I think I'll head to The Shoe Mart. Thanks for the suggestion

I just ordered a pair of AE Macneils but the last didn't work. Hoping 975 toe box fits wider. Added bonus is that everybody on here seems to feel that the 975s are better quality.

2. gsgleason

gsgleason Well-Known Member

Alden in general is better quality. As for the lasts, nothing beats just trying it on. You might want to call to verify they have the sizes you want to try in stock first.

3. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Looking good. The eyelets are superb.
    Looking killer in your 4060s BK! Hope you are enjoying them today!
    Terrific version of the classic tassel.
    Those are unlined. As others have said it depends on the model and vendor if the tongue lined. You can tell by looking at the outside of the tongue, if it has stitches around the edge, it is lined if not unlined. Black Shell is green in the back for some reason. :)
    Looking great Breck!
    Enjoy your new Cigars.
    Great Bluchers Don!!!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  4. RevisIsland

RevisIsland Well-Known Member

I think Jcrew still carries the 975s on double leather. Returns with them are super easy. You can just walk them into a store.

I bet you could have your local store ordeer you a couple pairs to try on. The issue is they only carry D width.

5. AnOxymoron

AnOxymoron Well-Known Member

Alright guys, I'm once again working a job where I need to dress like a grown up. So I want to pick out some new shoes to go with my wardrobe overhaul.

Since whiskey shell longwings are probably out of the question, I'm sort of deciding between J Crew's "Waxed longwings" and some Natural CXL longwings from shoemart, or the leffot pre-order.

What would you guys choose? Is the calf on J Crew's shoes inferior to good old natural cxl?

And also, if I wore 8.5D on the Trubalance last, should I be looking at the same size in Barrie?

6. gsgleason

I find it odd that whiskey shell would be inappropriate but natural cxl would be acceptable.

7. AnOxymoron

No no, not inappropriate; those are the shoes of my dreams. I used to own a pair of whiskey shell Indy that I stupidly let go of.

I just don't know how difficult it would be to acquire a pair, and I'm not sure I can afford them right now.

8. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I think he was speaking about general availability when he said that whiskey was out of the question.

9. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I like the look of the waxed longwings more than the CXL longwings, personally.

10. gsgleason

This makes much more sense.

What sort of attire will you be wearing? The brown alpine grain cap toes are pretty nice, but they are on Hampton, not Barrie.

If you don't have any color 8, the 975 is a classic choice.

11. AnOxymoron

Yes, I agree. I was leaning more towards the waxed because the CXL might be a little too casual. I think the waxed would allow for a wider variety of occasions.

I'm a teacher, so nothing dressy. Mostly just assorted shirts and ties, black duck chinos, indigo selvage chinos, and currently some Samurai S710 when I'm not working.

#8 is beautiful, but I worry that they might be too much for casual wear. I only have a few pairs of shoes, so something that can be worn on most occasions is what I'm going for.

12. breck81

breck81 Well-Known Member

Sounds like the 975 would be perfect for work and non-work. For me, a LWB or more specifically 975, can look as dressy as the rest of ones attire. I wear my LWB with chinos and jeans alike.

13. AnOxymoron

Maybe you're right. You'd pick the 975 over the "tobacco" flavored variety (http://i.imgur.com/DT1kXY7.jpg)

14. gsgleason

Absolutely. The color 8 is beautiful and just gets better with age.

15. breck81

To me they are almost apples and oranges. I think the brown is definitely a more casual shade than the color 8. One being calf and the other shell makes them so different. I think they could both exist, but if you can only have one go color 8. If you are worried its too formal try and get a pair of color 8 shell lwb with the antique edge. That usually lessens their perceived formalness. Its a tough call, but I'd go color 8 shell over the tobacco J. Crew.

Although if you could get both...Then I'd do that. I hope what i wrote makes sense. Its a tough comparison.

16. breck81

+1

17. RevisIsland

RevisIsland Well-Known Member

If you want to buy 5-10 more pairs of Alden shoes in the next year, then buy the 975's. Once you buy one pair of shell you won't be able to stop.

As for sizing, there are a ton of posts that discuss Barrie vs TB on this thread. For me personally, I find TB to be more roomier and I need to wear a smaller size in TB. Others wear the same size.

edit: If you don't mind looking around for a few months, I'd suggest trying to find the Whiskey LWB's. Part of the fun with exotic colors is trying to track them down.

18. AnOxymoron

Alright, thanks for the input guys. I think I'm sold on the color 8 and will be placing an order from Shoemart :D

However, now I need a little help with sizing! I wore an 8.5E in whiskey Indy (trubalance last) and 8.5D in CXL Indy (also trubalance), the 9D CXL Indy stretched out too much after a few wears and had to be returned.

What size should I be looking at on a Barrie last?

edit: RevisIsland beat me to it. But any input is still appreciated

Haha, I don't though! I just want to be content with 1-2 pairs that can be worn heavily with most of my wardrobe.

19. gsgleason

Why the difference between the two indy boots? Normally a shell model on the same last fits less snug than it's leather counterpart because the shell doesn't stretch as much during lasting.

20. breck81

Scarily true. I purchased my first pair of shell 3 months after buying a pair of Natty CXL Indys(gate way drug). Within 6 months of my first shell purchase, i had 2 more shell kicks in hand and 3 more shells on pre-order. Not to mention some suede thrown in the mix along the way. Im very worried how deep the rabbit hole really goes...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.