1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lagsun

lagsun Well-Known Member

One of my favorite things about this thread and community are the WWSFD (What Would Styleforum Do) posts. So here's mine:

I live in the SF Bay Area, work in the tech industry and dress mostly business casual (chinos, OCBD, occasional sport coat - I might wear a suit once a year for a wedding or funeral). The majority of the time I work from home and might go to the office/meetings a couple times a month. This means I might be in shorts a lot of the time during warmer months and my shoes don't get a lot of wear with some pairs not seeing the light of day for months at a time. I also found after buying and selling many pairs over the years that my tastes now run more towards the casual side of boots and shoes. I also have less desire to own/buy shell cordovan (I sold my Cigar Indy's last year) and lately have been drawn more to suede. So here is my collection with comments on how I wear:

Aldens

• Need Supply Tobacco Chamois Ranger Moc resoled on Dainite by B. Nelson - Van 8.5D - beater, around town shoe that I just leave at the door
    • TSM Seconds Leffot Tobacco Chamois Tanker Boot on Commando - use as a bad weather, backyard beater boot
    • #8 975 LWB on double leather sole - Barrie 8D - doesn't get a lot of wear but a must keep
    • Leffot Snuff Suede LWB on flex sole - Barrie 8D - purchased off B&S and gets regular wear (for me)
    • Leffot Ravello LWB on double leather sole - Barrie 8D - purchased off B&S, one vamp is slightly darker, and gets little wear
    • Alden DC 4060HC #8 Captoe Boot on Commando - Grant 8.5D - these were just resoled by Alden free of charge after the welt stitching started showing
    • Alden DC Cigar Captoe Boot on Commando - Grant 9D - one of my first purchases off B&S before dialing in my size. Wear with insoles. Love the color and look but seldom wear

Non-Aldens

• C&J Islay Dark Brown Scotch Grain Wingtip Boot on Dainite - 365 Last UK7 - Bought in Paris last year and really like the style and fit
    • Herring Gosforth II Cigar Suede Chukka on Dainite (Loake Kempton) - 026 Last UK7.5 - With the strong dollar, bought these from Herring Shoes this Winter with free shipping for around $240. Comfortable and wear regularly

My current thinking is offloading either the Cigar captoe boot and/or Ravello LWB but haven't made any decisions. I''m also thinking of adding a brown, snuff (or roughout) suede captoe or wingtip boot down the line.

So given my background and usage WWSFD? Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. NewYawker

NewYawker Well-Known Member

Sir - these are awesome. Is there a rule with bucks as to when they should be worn? Was thinking of breaking mine out as well.

3. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

"Clicking" is the term for hand cutting the patterns, FYI. The term came from the sound the knife makes as the person does the cutting. Now the term seems to be generally used for all cutting out of patterns by any means.

I think some companies use a laser guided water-jet type machine for cutting patterns. I think that is what the other poster meant by "machine cut".

4. harveyrabbit

harveyrabbit Well-Known Member

It is mostly a Southern thing, but white shoes, pants, or even your straw boater should only be worn after Easter, and before Labor Day. I doubt anyone will throw down the gauntlet and demand satisfaction of their honor if you step out on a warm day before then in white, so feel free to act the Yankee ;)

5. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

^ I think the general convention is from Memorial Day through Labor Day. But if you live in California, I expect the rules are quite a bit different.

6. NewYawker

NewYawker Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! I thought it was Memorial Day to Labor Day myself. Definitely agree dress norms will be different in California, the south, and up North.

7. smoothie1

smoothie1 Well-Known Member

Acting a Yankee would likely entail abiding the old rules, that is waiting until Memorial Day to don white shoes and stopping at Labor Day. Unless you are spending time in tropical climates/ locations, in which case wear them all the time. Cheers.

Edit: I am sure many rules regarding dress do not apply when one lives in California, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  8. rosslovethreads

rosslovethreads Well-Known Member

That's strange, I've worked professionally in the leather goods industry for close to five years, and the pneumatic or hand operated press that provides the force behind the dies that determine the shape of the cut, is called a "clicker press". I think the entire industry defines "clicking" as using a precut die to effectively stamp shapes out of leather. You very well might be right. The vast majority of leather workers would be using the term incorrectly, though!! Haha.
    I know it's just wiki, but here's a tiny article http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_cutting_(web)

9. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I'm not saying that the industry is wrong. What I'm saying is the term came from a time when it was cut by hand. Now the term means to cut out patterns by any method.
    Just a couple I could quickly find:
    Clicking:
    http://www.loake.co.uk/craftsmanship/

Clicking:
    http://www.wildsmith.com/making

10. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

as it relates to white pants my wife is extremely opinionated on this subject...

11. bl@ster

bl@ster Well-Known Member

Damn, those Byrnes are nice. Just k0pped a pair, thanks!

12. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

Lol. So am I.

13. postal007

postal007 Well-Known Member

Hey guys - has this ever happened on your plantation crepe soled shoes? I've had these Context Roy Boots for a little bit (about a year or so) and the sole is splitting. It may be because I wear these pair exclusively for wet weather - but is it normal for this to happen?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDIT: And no, I'm not trolling on Alden QC/quality, just figuring out if anyone has this happen before. I may need to seek a cobbler.

14. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

Solid spring/summer showing DV. I can't wait for more warm weather!

15. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

I usually wear my white (saddle) bucks with seersucker and other light colored summery pants/suits. I think the general rule of thumb is no seersucker or white pants before Memorial Day or after Labor Day, but who cares... it's summer in SD all year round.

[Edit: Sorry for the redundancy. Didn't read ahead.]

16. Roguls

Roguls Well-Known Member

Was seriously considering dropping for retail on the camel pt boots. Just snapped them for less than 5 bills. Johnnyrich you are the man.

17. gr789

gr789 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Tax return done, plotting the next Aldens with scotch and cigar. Something like, 1) go to Tiffany's, 2) chauffeur kids on a weekend, 3) Aldens show up!

18. omgimacarrot

omgimacarrot Member

Anyone have experience with Pelle Line? I ordered a pair of Aldens on the 19th, and when I check my order status it's cancelled...but I haven't received a notification about it. I sent an email, just wondering if anyone else had the same thing happen.

19. bustert

bustert Well-Known Member

Anyone know shipping charge from Fransboone to US? Anyone get hit with import taxes upon delivery? Aldens are US made so I don't believe there should be any import tax...I got my eye on the snuff suede Dover PTB with brass eyelets on double waterlock [​IMG]

20. postal007

postal007 Well-Known Member

Their shipping policy is here: http://www.fransboonestore.com/pages/shipping

Looks like they have free shipping outside the EU for 500 euro or more (ex. VAT).

Although Frans does a good job of labeling as made in the USA, consensus here seems to be that if it is shipped via UPS you'll get hit with some kind of customs "clearing" charge anyway. Sounds like baloney. They say on their website that they can ship via Post.nl if you request - I would highly suggest using Post NL and also having marked made in the USA - you should probably email them after you order to make sure this happens. I doubt Post NL (USPS shipping once it gets here) will levy you with customs charges.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.