1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. afripix

afripix New Member

newbie here - long time reader, first time post so my apologies if this isn't the correct thread or a worthy question - looking to find a black shell PTB Dover style - curious if anyone has seen these available? leffot had them available in color 8 a while back. I much prefer the Dover to the PTB's that are widely available, but don't seem to see them available anywhere.

2. z8k1n

z8k1n Well-Known Member

f you
    just kidding..badass 88s !!

3. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

[​IMG] The secret cordovan sauce in action. What I wouldn't give to have some of that on hand.

[​IMG]

4. RobinM

RobinM Well-Known Member

Dye plus acrylic finisher. [​IMG]

5. walds11

walds11 Well-Known Member

I agree with you that D width is fine for boots, no doubt!

You must have been reading my mind. I was just at the Montgomeryville store this morning. I live in Blue Bell and that store is a quick hop away. I dropped off a few pair of shoes at the cobbler to resole. Anyway, I was chatting with Mike about this new Alden shoe…Casual LHS Penny Loafer in CXL brown. I really dig slip-on shoes. This shoe will make a great all-around business casual/casual shoe that I will get tons of use out of.

http://www.shermanbrothers.com/product.php?ItemId=1000000002&ProductId=29449

The LHS Penny Loafer in CXL brown is still in production, so he had me try on a similar style in shell cordovan in 8.5D and 9D. The 8.5D felt decent and the 9D was a little too roomy in the heel. Keep in mind that the ones I tried on were shell cordovan, lined and single oak leather sole vs. CXL, unlined and flex sole. He is going to order an 8.5D and 9C in the LHS Penny Loafer CXL brown. It will be nice to dial in the size and width! I was passing through the Haverford store a few weeks ago and inquired about this shoe. Ken wanted to throw me right into the 9D, so I am glad I didn’t heed his advice. Mike definitely seems more accommodating because he ordered a few sizes for me to try on.

6. KPDarb

KPDarb Well-Known Member

I second that! The brown CXL PCT boots at AoM are pretty similar but the natural CXL is just a wonderful looking leather. Also why I purchased the Leffot indys

7. Buckeye Nation

Buckeye Nation Well-Known Member

Likely, but what is interesting is that the shells direct from Horween come "finished" - if you look at the shell at 0:08 in the video, you can see the finished sheen on the shell from Horween.

I'd be very curious to know what Alden really does to the shells in between that state and finished product.

The guy who stripped his shells used Angelus to reproduce the alden finish

8. RobinM

RobinM Well-Known Member

The sheen form untreated shell is different. Get a shell wallet form say, Asland, and you will see and fell the difference.
    Alden put arcylic finisher on both shell and Alpine grain calf to give that instant and durable glossy finish.

BTW, a handfull of Alden shell shoes don't have that glossy finish. Examples: #2 lwb, Leffot Cigar shell saddles. Shell belts sold by Alden don't have that Arcylic finisher either.

9. mettelindberg

mettelindberg Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I'm terrible with taking pics of me wearing my shoes. But it's nice and dry so here are my Cigar NST boots,

5 people like this.
  10. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Well-Known Member

I like the pants. What are those?

11. prez

prez Well-Known Member

12. Buckeye Nation

Buckeye Nation Well-Known Member

I have shell, direct from Horween - the finish on my shell is the the same as the Alden finish.

I have multiple wallets from Ashland. Then natural shell has the same finish as my shoes.

You can track down picture of this in my post history, I don't have time right now to repost it all.

Cheers,
    BN

13. mettelindberg

Thanks! Nothing special though haha. It's the new Gap Skinny Khaki's, great fit for the price

14. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Well-Known Member

Well that's the selvedge denim I wear, slim fit, so that's cool by me. ~$50 for a great pair of selvedge jeans is nice.

15. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

16. mettelindberg

Yup, plus they always have 30-40% off sales on everything online. Can't beat that! :slayer:

17. z8k1n

z8k1n Well-Known Member

THAT is what I'm talking about!

18. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I didn't even know they existed.

1 person likes this.
  19. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

And now you must have one. Or was it me who must have one? Got to think on it.

Edit: ME.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  20. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Alden uses something for sure and it may be some type of acrylic but I am not sure. You can tell they overdye them in some way and the fact that dye cannot be removed makes me feel like it have some kind of finish on top. The video would almost indicated it's just some type of dye and not an acrylic finish (unless maybe another step is to come after in the vid) since they have the same sponge on top of the cans. If it was acrylic those would need to be replaced after each use as they would harden. Dye on the other hand you could keep using the sponge.

I played around with my sun faded AE Leeds using the Angelus finish on them to try and replicate the Alden finish, but was unsatisfied and ended up stripping it off. I think I applied too many layers and it just always felt tacky rather than glassy smooth in the end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the Acrylic Finish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.