1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schmallo15

schmallo15 Well-Known Member

Just wanted to provide a perspective from someone who lives in Asia (I'm in Taiwan). My preference is definitely to order directly from the States but that often requires a proxy as Alden doesn't allow US dealers to ship outside of the US/Canada. Fortunately, I have some friends in the US that are willing to help but for a $750 boot, it'll cost me about $50-60 for shipping and another 2% for credit card fees. All in, it's probably $820 or so for a pair of stock Color 8 or Black shell boots. Now, if I had to pay someone a proxy fee, I may end up paying an additional 10% which gets me to $900 for a pair of stock offering shell boots. Oh, and PayPal does me no favors either as their exchange rates are terrible.

The other alternative is to purchase in Asia. The three retailers I've interacted with are Unipair in Korea, Tassels in HK, and Essential Elements in Taiwan. Unipair and Tassels charge on average US$900+ for Shell offerings. Essential Elements is the cheapest and cost about what it costs to get a pair from the US shipped to Taiwan (~$800 range). Unfortunately, they also have the most limited selection. I haven't dealt with any retailers in Japan but anecdotally it's more expensive than Hong Kong. As such, I know some Japanese Alden aficionados fly to Taiwan to purchase Aldens. For the 3 retailers I've dealt with here in Asia, none are getting any rare shell offerings. Nothing.

So, personally, I definitely wouldn't buy from that re-seller mentioned above but I can understand why there's a market for them out here. There's pent up demand for rare shell and no retailers are able to service that demand through legitimate Alden channels. Separately, I have no clue if that re-seller (Sublime Goods) is related to any other re-seller out here but I've dealt with Wayne (AKA, the Leather Healer in Hong Kong) before. His prices are definitely high compared to US prices but no higher than buying from a place like Tassels. In fact his prices are typically lower for stock offerings. His prices for one-off or rare offerings are definitely higher but still in line with prices from legit retailers out here.

What would I pay a premium for? That's easy. Rare shell Tanker boot.

1 person likes this.
  2. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Well-Known Member

Informative post. Sounds like a lot of the same stuff we deal with in Canada with the exception that I can drive to the US to pick up a pair of shoes.

Here's hoping you land that rare tanker you're after!

3. schmallo15

schmallo15 Well-Known Member

Thanks! I hope so too!

I failed to mention in my post above that all of this is ordering from abroad is under the assumption that USPS is used. If FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc are used, you get hit with brokerage/import duties too that further drive up the price.

4. Watchman1

Watchman1 Well-Known Member

Thank You My Friend!

5. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Nope. Not that I have seen. Epaulet has a run of Color #8 on Antique though.

-Mike

6. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Funny that you ask me that. Mine has been worn once... Unfortunately, their 10E size just does not agree with my 10.5C foot and so I am selling my pair, more specifically I sold my pair today...

[​IMG]
    http://aldenofsandiego.com/sales/for-sale/for-sale-alden-cigar-medallion-cap-toe-boots-10e/

-Mike

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  7. Handcuffed

Handcuffed Well-Known Member

How did you even take possession of a 10E?! Were you hoping it would fit with inserts or did you acquire just because it was so rare?

8. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Hoping it would work... I could wear it, but I have a new policy that if its not the perfect fit, it goes out the door. Regardless of style or rarity.

-Mike

9. emidyl

emidyl Well-Known Member

hey classy, leatherfoot isn't carrying the nano ATM. They have the Saphir invulner, which works exactly the same. Bought it and used on my son's JCrew suede boots and they work nicely. Got mine almost 2 weeks ago but they had lots IIRC.

10. 89826

89826 Well-Known Member

Is it against the rules to post for-sale shoes here? I have a couple of pairs of new whiskey gems to sell, I think. Maybe a third pair too.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  11. 89826

89826 Well-Known Member

What store is AoM?

12. fal32

fal32 Well-Known Member

Alden of Madison

13. 89826

89826 Well-Known Member

Thanks. For some reason I had a brain fade and was thinking AoNY.

14. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Kind of the same thing.... Madison Ave, in NYC.

And yes it is against the rules to post things for sale, here. Just add them to your signature and everyone will see them.

15. TommyB

TommyB Well-Known Member

I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Wish I had been more alert a couple of years ago and bought the EpauletxCarmina Salinger double monk in saddle shell. I guess that one was a one-off and won't be made again?

16. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I think that once shell levels return for Carmina that will be made again. Maybe not by EP, though.

17. gr789

gr789 Well-Known Member

Kwanon,
    I know this is not exactly what you mean, but mdubs (beautious pics copyright mdubs!) and other SFers had a medallion cap toe in ravello a little while back.

1 person likes this.
  18. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

That is a great shoe! Sometimes I miss mine.

I think that is the closest the OP will get to an Alt Wien in cigar or ravello by Alden. Those are on Plaza as opposed to Barrie (which is a plus in my book).

19. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

The Barrie is an odd fitting last. The heel cup is proportionately wide relative to the toe box. Move on and stop wasting money. There are other longwings out there, on more normal fitting lasts.

20. Akeem

Akeem Well-Known Member

thats why u go with boots. u can lce up the ankles nice and tight

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.