1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tv2177

tv2177 Well-Known Member

^looks like someone tried on in-store. I would exchange for another pair.

2. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Well-Known Member

Send them back or e-mail them asking them for a discount.

3. RevisIsland

RevisIsland Well-Known Member

And please keep us posted. It is always interesting to see how a store handles this. Especially for a first time customer.

4. MT1982

MT1982 Well-Known Member

Are you sure the 990's and the Cap Toes that you have are both the same width size (D, E, etc.)? I know Tassels carries quite a few E widths so that could be part of it if they happen to be different sizes.

That said - I have two different Barrie lasted boots - natural cxl cap toes from JCrew (that are very similar to the brown cxl model you're looking at) and a pair of chocolate suede tankers from Leather Soul. The tankers fit much looser than the cap toes. Both are 9D's, both are full 360 welt on Commando soles.

On a side note - The Shoe Mart carries a model similar to the one you're looking at, but with brass eyelets and speed hooks - http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me...c_ald_m_5_eyelet_perforated_cap_toe_boot.html - they offer free shipping unlike Alden Madison (not sure if that applies to International shipping though, but worth a look).

5. aldennoob

aldennoob Well-Known Member

wow, thanks for your information. i even didnt notice shoe mart have this make up! However i would like to try us6.5 and the smallest size from shoes mart is us7 :(
    i am sure both ct boot and 990 is d width

6. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Well-Known Member

Aw that stinks! As others have said, I would not accept paying full price for these. Not sure if you will be happy getting a discount or just returning them for exchange/refund. As stated above, please keep the forum up to date with the outcome and good luck dealing with the merchant, hope they exceed your expectations in addressing this.

7. soundersfc2

soundersfc2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Are these the 403 or 405 Alden Indy?

8. stevefok

stevefok Well-Known Member

I think those are the ultimate indy from leathersoul

9. ErikW

ErikW Well-Known Member

What is the general consensus on when you need to get your shoe resoled? Obviously if there is a hole in the sole, but are there any other warning signs?

I find that the stitches near the toe and left side of my shoes can wear away pretty quickly. The heels look like they still have a lot of life though.

Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

10. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

I would say you still have quite a bit of life left overall. Short of developing actual holes, on leather soled shoes, I usually wait until the stitches near the toe (or anywhere really) are striking directly on the ground (i.e. the leather part around that area of stitching is worn down enough that the stitches are sticking out further than the leather) and/or the stitches are breaking or about to break.

11. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Does it feel soft or hard?

12. shoetree

shoetree Well-Known Member

This is a good guide from the hanger project. Hope it helps http://www.hangerproject.com/shoe-care-guide/when-to-replace-soles/

13. Allen Dreadmon

Allen Dreadmon Well-Known Member

Trunk Clothiers is getting a shipment of whiskey PTB. Has anyone here gotten in on these? No word on pricing yet, but I'm thinking that after UK import taxes and currency conversion, they will not be cheap.

14. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

Unless the soles feel very soft/spongy those do not look to me to be anywhere near requiring a resole.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  15. ErikW

ErikW Well-Known Member

Okay, great. That's what I was thinking.

Awesome, thank you!
    Hard (TWSS)
    Great, thanks!

16. FENWAY

FENWAY Well-Known Member

PSA. A pair of Whiskey PTB size 12 available at TSM. Some spotting ...not perfect. Ask for Bob.
    [​IMG]

17. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Well-Known Member

brass eyelets?

Were these from a recent TSM run?

18. stevefok

stevefok Well-Known Member

PTB with brass eyelets? Those are something special!!

1 person likes this.
  19. aldennoob

aldennoob Well-Known Member

Another alden waiting list for this retailer again? oh god i am really mad about this...

20. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Well-Known Member

you gotta at least buy him dinner first
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.