• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantomx48

Reaction score
This is what happens when you are bored late at night and you end up buying stuff you dont need on Amazon.com just because it's shiny and colorful (the wife hates it, but they are starting to grow on me, I will see what happens when I put the other lace on and put them on my feet):

photo67e.jpg

photo66p.jpg

photo65nl.jpg

triumphman

Reaction score
So today I went to an Alden retailer to find my size on the Barrie last. I tried a sz 8 on the regular chukka boot (casual) on the Barrie last which were just slightly big. I then went to Jcrew and tried the Indys in a sz 8 and they were at minimum half size to a full size too big in these Indys. The sales lady at the Alden took my size on the brannock device and said I was a size 7 on the brannock. Unfortunately no one had a sz 7.5 for me to try in their stores. I want to purchase a pair of cordovan Indy boots but know I'm really confused on sizing. Figured the last on the shoes I tried on would be a slight difference, but it was a very noticeable difference. Any advice from the Alden pros? Btw all my shoes I wear are a sz 41 / 8-8.5 us. But for some reason I was a sz 7 on the brannock

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really digging the Madison Brown Semi Brogue Blucher from LS.
I just don't understand how it costs $30 to ship from LA to PA via Priority Mail.
A medium flat rate box costs $10.70 to mail out.

LynahFaithful

Reaction score
So how does that box get to LS and then be prepared to be shipped, how do the shoes get in the box, how does the order get taken, how does the order get to Alden, etc., etc. - People. Tom has to pay people to do these things. Remember, he's primarily a brick and mortar shop. The mail order stuff is a sideline. Tom has to make money in order to stay in business and this is just one way he does it. If you don't like the price, go somewhere else. To me, Tom's service is worth way more than the $30 charge for the shipping.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah plus there is no way any alden shoe would fit in a usps medium flat rate box AND it wouldnt fit in a large flat rate box. so your basis is totally off dude ...

i ordered two boots early in jan, the SF black cord boot and the LS anny cord boot, and got charged for only one. so if you really hate the shipping cost buy two shoes, its not like theres not enough to choose from
biggrin.gif

eightdouble

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LynahFaithful
To me, Tom's service is worth way more than the $30 charge for the shipping.

i just paid for express shipping. zero qualms about paying 45 bucks for a pair of shoes to get from hawaii to chicago from a friday to a monday.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About $20 priority from Hawaii to East Coast for 6 pounds, $6 for insurance, $2.50 for the box and we're at $28.50. $30 covers us if people add on shoe trees, wax, polish, etc. Also covers us when they order a size 12 boot with crepe soles and the weight goes over to the next pound threshold.

It's probably a little cheaper sending from LSBH but this price was set up before LSBH opened and it would logistically be a headache to charge $20 from LSBH and $30 from LSW.

Most of our sales are in store so we're not trying to compete with other dealers online by offering free shipping or discounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads