1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zennypoo

zennypoo Well-Known Member

I believe the usual strategy is to size Van and Barrie the same, with that said, Van is a pretty hard fit to nail due to the strap.

If your Barrie shoes are tight then there is a possibility of the strap becoming uncomfortable, though this is typically a problem with high arch. If your Barrie shoes are roomy already, then you may run the risk of heel slippage, this can be easily fix with a tongue pad. I find the Van last have the same, if not more, toe room than Barrie, so going wider is usually not needed. I would go 1/2 size up if the strap becomes a problem, and tough pad if there is some over correction.

Hope that helps, it's a beautiful shoe, one of the best models from Alden IMHO.

-D

2. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

I would vote Alt Wien as well and am glad to see you went that way, but I love hole punches as my wife would put it. :) Bummer about the 4060s, great boot, but your logic in offloading them is valid. -Mike

3. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Ha! I see my influence in the way your wrote your post D! Good stuff... :)

I concur with your assessment, but thought I would add a few more thoughts from my experience with the Van.

Most size same as Barrie, but it is a three dimensional problem and it depends upon how high your instep is. I wear 10.5B on the Barrie, but have to wear 10C on the Van in order to have a little more material width wise to go over my instep. I wear 10D on Unlined versions of the Van such as the Suede LHSes or the BB LHSes.

As always, I suggest that you take all our advice as ancillary input and try them on for yourself. If you can't go into a store, then be cautious when trying on and walk gently/carefully on carpet first. It should be obvious if it is murdering your instep or if you are going to walk out of them even befoee you take a step.

-Mike

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  4. Oleg Lagutenko

Oleg Lagutenko New Member

i want price ,size and availability of burgundy model

5. Rishi Kakar

Rishi Kakar Well-Known Member

Thanks V much TO Tie Guy, Yes that does sound unconventional but I'm sure you have a very comfortable shoe with TTS.

Thanks v much Burzan! So just like TO Tie Guy, its been TTS for you too.

Thanks so much Henry!

Thanks schmallo! So you're suggesting that like a lot of others who go barrie size with increased width, that could be a problem with because of a loose heel.

Kwhitelaw, much appreciate my friend.

Thanks zennypoo! That is very well put. Appreciate your response!

Thanks very Mike! Appreciate your response and care to make sure I make the right sizing choice.

Thank you all Sirs! I'm a long way from America, but I guess there is no substitute to a store visit for the perfect fit.
    Now what does one do to the Alden urge [​IMG]

6. mooose

mooose Active Member

did you try calling them?

7. Vicious49

Vicious49 Well-Known Member

Code:

Agreed that the 4060 is gorgeous but I just don't get a chance to wear them much here. This winter I think we got in to the 30s a handful of times. It was around 70 today while the east coast is still below freezing temps.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  8. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Ha! I rock my boot regardless of the weather. In socal, I would never wear mine either! :)

-Mike

9. totalair1

totalair1 Well-Known Member

It's been low 30's all day with freezing rain, heavy sleet most of the day tomorrow in Dallas area

See Ya,
    Steve

10. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Well-Known Member

11. rosslovethreads

rosslovethreads Well-Known Member

W
    Just got word that we shut down our office Steve. Hope you're blessed with the same luxury today! Definitely covering my ankles!

From Dallas,
    Ross Uhl

12. totalair1

totalair1 Well-Known Member

Ross-I'm at the office...but only me. Got a few customer with no heat, working on that. Plano the roads are fine except bridges

See Ya,
    Steve

13. thromb

thromb Well-Known Member

Was up to 80 in Houston yesterday and glorious, definitely shorts and t-shirts weather. Now it's 43 and that's the high for the day with on and off rain. Probably sleet in adjacent counties to the north.

Doesn't even hold a candle to the cold weather friends and family have been experiencing in the midwest and northeast. But if any day is built for boots in Houston, it's today!

14. Vicious49

Vicious49 Well-Known Member

High of 42 and low of 35 today. Then it goes back to the 50s the rest of the week. It's a huge change from the DC weather I'm accustomed to.

It's strange how Dallas is only 250 miles north of here but gets such different temps than Houston.

15. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

Who has colder winters, San Diego or Houston? That's an easy one. Plenty of sub-50' days in Houston throughout the winter (case in point, this entire week). Many here would wear boots in the low 60s (or even warmer). But I suppose that's a personal choice.

16. Motorsport226

Motorsport226 Well-Known Member

Marble suede Indys.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. jhcam8

jhcam8 Well-Known Member

Very nice.

18. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

Just a quick shot today of the navy reverse chamois on crepe

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. aikiman44

aikiman44 Well-Known Member

Dang, no 10.5 whiskey or cigar longwings at TSM

20. mothball

mothball Well-Known Member

I'm such a fan of chamois leather. Those look really nice.

Quick car shot of forest green tankers.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.