1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prez

prez Well-Known Member

2. BenLeaman

BenLeaman Well-Known Member

Those Frans Boone chamois/suede saddle shoes!
    Unfortunately I have enough crepe soles already.

3. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

4. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

A few weeks ago I was ready to unload this and my 9901 to create some funds and space for other models. I decided my New Year's Alden-resolution needed to be enjoying my 990 and 9901 more often. Glad I did. This shade of color 8 is pretty unique, lighter shade and very cherry-like as opposed to the darker classic shade. The lighting in these pics doesn't show this all that well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. TommyB

TommyB Well-Known Member

Fantastic shade of #8!

6. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

I agree completely. Those are in the can't sell pile imo.

-Mike

7. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

The creases aren't pysically removed. Only the bloom (white appearing oils) is removed from the crease which reduces or eliminates its appearance.

8. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

I agree, but would argue that I can get them to lay down much flatter as well. ;-)

9. reggieandtfe

reggieandtfe Member

I've wanted these Chromexcel Viberg Service Boots ever since I first saw them, but they've been out of stock for most of the past year. I also recently found out that Dainite soles wear a lot less comfortable to me than Alden commando soles so I was really excited when I saw these Alden Chromexcel captoes. I think they look just as good while being $150 less and having speedhooks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. lifeinabox

lifeinabox Well-Known Member

Really? I've bought the Color 8 Vibergs twice in the last six months only to return them. I wasn't a fan of the overly saturated reddish tone. You must have a hard to find size. That said, the Vibergs are at another level of build quality, which reflects the price difference. I suspect you'll still want a pair of Vibergs even if you purchase those Aldens.

11. epc2

epc2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Ravello. LWB today.

4 people like this.
  12. breck81

breck81 Well-Known Member

Nailed it!

13. rosslovethreads

rosslovethreads Well-Known Member

Vibergs build quality isn't more impressive than Alden to me. I think you're way better off with the Aldens. Viberg also get a terribly stupid looking crease on the actual toe cap. I can't stand the way they look after wear. Just silly

14. HenryIII

HenryIII Well-Known Member

Professional man of leisure! Looking great, Mike. Nobody does it better (isn't that a Bond theme song?)

15. 90shilling

90shilling Well-Known Member

I always wondered why Viberg boots were at a higher price point than Alden boots given you are getting less on paper (Viberg chromexcel boots at Alden shell cordovan boot prices). I've never handled or tried on a pair of Vibergs in real life - is the finish and construction really commensurate with the pricing premium in your opinion? It seems the materials used are more or less the same as Alden (Horween).

16. HenryIII

Great combo, @prez. Ravello and blue are great together. I might have to look into these CHUP socks. They make those in OTC?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  17. HenryIII

I've got the Brown CXL PCTs and love them. I was a little reluctant with the natural welt, but now wear them all the time and even rock them at work on Fridays with chinos. Can't speak to the Vibergs.

18. chipshot

chipshot Well-Known Member

A few weeks ago I was ready to unload this and my 9901 to create some funds and space for other models. I decided my New Year's Alden-resolution needed to be enjoying my 990 and 9901 more often. Glad I did. This shade of color 8 is pretty unique, lighter shade and very cherry-like as opposed to the darker classic shade. The lighting in these pics doesn't show this all that well. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [/quote These are terrific, I too have gone back to standard color 8 basic models with much love of the eggplant patina. Those are a perfect example of simple works every time.

19. gosheik

gosheik Well-Known Member

Cigar Sunday
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  20. circleslife

circleslife Well-Known Member

First wear? Looking fantastic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.