1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Guess I need to be a better shopper next time haha, will have to keep an eye on J Crew sales in the future.

2. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

I like St Bernards Sports because they seem to stock different sizes. Medium works best for me

3. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Wait, they make different sizes....

4. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

St Bernards is the only place I have seen sizes. Everywhere else seems to stock 1 size so maybe that is the medium which I like? I bought a small for my wife and they fit her pretty well

5. zennypoo

zennypoo Well-Known Member

Heard from Leffot today the natty CXL Indys are in, should be getting mine tomorrow. If I remember correctly, the reverse chamois was on the same preorder- so hopefully not much more waiting for that one!

-D

1 person likes this.
  6. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Well-Known Member

Haven is great, not too far from me so I just order online and pickup. I have those emerald socks from them, probably my favourite pair. I'll wait till they run a 20% sale and snag some of the new stock!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  7. smoothie1

smoothie1 Well-Known Member

What's the deal with CHUP socks anyway? They seem trendy and well marketed more than anything. I handled several pairs over the holidays in J. Crew, and the quality doesn't quite seem there for the MSRP. Does J. Crew get the same quality CHUP goods as other stores? $36 for socks that are approximately 30% acrylic seems steep to me; I did not even pull the trigger at the final sale price.

The Smartwool ones are probably a better deal. But I prefer natural fibers when possible. I am genuinely interested to hear about the experiences of others with these socks. Thanks.

8. intensanity

intensanity Well-Known Member

Speaking of Leffot being awesome...the Natty CXL Indy's are in. Pics later this evening!

9. Vicious49

Vicious49 Well-Known Member

I've been wondering the same thing. What's the hype about Chup socks?

10. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Cancelled my order while I do some more research. Says size 7-11 but I am now a little worried spending $200 on socks from Haven when they don't offer returns and them possibly not fitting right. I might be better off just trying out one pair first haha

I think waiting for a sale might be best since I have not tried the fit yet.

I got caught up in the CHUP hype and not am confused lol, seems my sock wardrobe upgrade will have to wait.

11. totalair1

totalair1 Well-Known Member

Yeah what's Chup with that?

See Ya,
    Steve

1 person likes this.
  12. TO Tie Guy

I believe all my pairs of chups are 90% cotton 7% nylon 3% polyeurethane. They are made in small quantities in Japan. Their longtime limited availability was a selling point for some as are their unique designs and colours. I don't work in a super conservative place so I often like to spice things up with colourful accessories like duchamp ties/chup socks.

13. TO Tie Guy

I'll send you a note when they have a 20% and I can proxy them for you for cheaper than $20.00 shipping they charge! That being said I'm a size 12 and the socks definitely fit me fine.

14. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

That would be amazing, thanks!

I'm a size 8 and I hate socks being too big on me and the heel comes up in the back, I figured they would be fine since I saw Ryden had some but now he confused me with the size thing.

15. smoothie1

smoothie1 Well-Known Member

Pantherella, Corgi, Marcoliani, Bresciani - there is certainly value there, especially when discounted.

I am genuinely skeptical of newfangled things. But then again, I am somewhat conservative, and I don't buy every single shiny new shell cordovan makeup released by Leffot, Leathersoul, et al either.

16. movoblast

movoblast Well-Known Member

You guys are buying socks full price at $35/pair? Holy crap!

I've been wearing plain single color wool socks, and argyles once in a while. Decided to take advantage of this past Jcrew sale season and purchased 4 pairs of CHUP (2 Chup, 2 Chup x Smartwool) and 4 pairs of Anonymous ism for around ~$105 total. I get so many compliments, even from strangers. Love the designs, but they fit a little tight at first. I don't think I could justify $35/pair though. In the end, they're just socks...

17. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Actually cancelled the order due to sizing concerns but will be keeping an eye out for sales in the future instead. Sounds like you cleaned up during that sale which is awesome!

18. rosslovethreads

rosslovethreads Well-Known Member

Hahahahahahahahaha

I totally agree. I only wear A. Gammarelli in red, so I can't speak to owning any CHUP, but when I handled them in person they seemed like nothing special. Maybe I've been spoiled, but if my socks are visible, they are italian and red.

19. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

I agree 100% with TO Tie Guy. They are not dress socks and when I want dress socks, I wear my Marcoliani's. I wear these as a fun, more colorful expression. I am probably one of the most at fault for the recent CHUP uptick. Sorry. :) I just thought they were a fun alternative and perfect considering the holiday season was upon us.

-Mike

20. Steel28

Steel28 Well-Known Member

I really like pork Chups! :happy:

Size 9US and Heaven's one size Chups fit great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.