1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevefok

stevefok Well-Known Member

Thanks NY! I am 7.5E in Aberdeen but seems they only stock them in D width (8D in aberdeen is a little bit too long for me), may be I should choose 7.5D and break them in.

2. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Roguls, If you are trying to stop buying Alden's, it is highly recommended that you stop visiting this thread as per the Alden FAQ. ;-)

-Mike

3. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

[​IMG] saw this as my screen reloaded and immediately squinted at the sight of them.. one day they will be mine again!

4. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Sorry about the misfire there dude, but can you provide a clarification, is the better half in this instance a spouse or significant other or just your conscious?

5. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

I TOLD YOU NOT TO LOOK! Sorry, I will spoiler the whole post for now on! :)

6. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

in this case, both. my girlfriend wouldnt brave the cold so she stayed in the hotel while I walked down to alden.. I was under strict orders to not buy anything (jokingly), but recent preorders had me deciding to hold off on the loden make-up..

7. katch

katch Well-Known Member

Were they 1sts or 2nds?

8. epc2

epc2 Well-Known Member

And what was the Loden makeup?

9. madridista

madridista Well-Known Member

1sts. Absolutely fine condition!

10. rosslovethreads

rosslovethreads Well-Known Member

HELP!

So the area where blooming is happening on my fairly new #8s feels rough to the touch. Is this normal? It feels kind of dry to me. The boots hadn't been worn before me, but who knows how long they sat before I bought them. I believe they spent a long time in the back of a J. Crew.

[​IMG]

Probably a dumb question but, I just recieved my Collonil Goat hair brush today. Would the fact that it's Goat hair opposed to Horse make any difference in the way it works?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  11. BootSpell

BootSpell Well-Known Member

The blooming on the creases on the vamp happens to almost all my shell boots. It's the nature of some shell. Brushing helps but I find just rubbing firmly with my finger/thumb back and forth will remove the blooming. But then it appears immediately when I wear them again.

12. rosslovethreads

While i expect the color change, I didnt expect the roughness or texture change within the blooming. It feels dry, almost like tiny cracks. I just didnt know it was part of the blooming experience.

Still my favorite money ever spent. Just being cautious.

13. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

My friend, what is the run number on the inside of the boots (the number that is not the size or model number) as you suspect those are probably decently aged. What they need is moisture on the creases to hydrate the shell Cordovan. Brushing and carefully and judiciously applying liquid to those spots are probably your best solution. That is not bloom. ;-) I will send you a PM with more details in a bit.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  14. Resistant

Resistant Well-Known Member

Thats True about the bloom, It seems like dry skin scalling up, and I expected it to wipe off easily. try a damp cloth to wipe it away, one pair I had - some cord cream worked well to remove the bloom and give it shine it never came off any other way. Thing is you really don't want to over use product on the new leather, or at all since to much product can open the pores permanently.

15. rosslovethreads

[​IMG]

Thanks so much! Appreciate any advice I can get!

16. FLW

FLW Well-Known Member

Tassel loafers, I think. Right?

17. Resistant

Resistant Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Just a flesh wound. You will be stunned to see what Reno or Venetian cream will do to that with brushing. If you don't want to wait for color tap a bit of polish on first.

I kicked a stone wall with my cigar cap oxfords - had tears in the hide - i would challenge anyone to guess which shoes it was I damaged. But did I damage them? They clean up so well and it was what sold me on shell, along with Uncle Mac.

1 person likes this.
  18. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Well-Known Member

Gentleman, thanks for the kind words and advice. Got home, wiped them down and brushed, brushed and brushed. Then a little deer bone, then a little more brush followed by a soft cloth buff. I cannot believe how decently they turned out. You can barely see where the scuff was/is. Will need to pick up some edge dressing though. Thanks again for all your help guys. A good bunch we have here.

19. BenLeaman

BenLeaman Well-Known Member

Congrats! They look great.

Nice! Those are about the only pair of tassels that I have warmed up to so far.

Mike, those have to be in the top 3 of my favorite ravellos in this thread.

20. totalair1

totalair1 Well-Known Member

A few months ago I posted photos of my LS Ulitmate Indys that had in warranty issues. I'm posting the before and after and pleased to say Alden fixed them right. Appears to totally new soles, welt, and insoles.

See Ya,
    Steve

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.