1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steel28

Steel28 Well-Known Member

What is going on here! :happy: Huge congrats to you as well!

I'm glad you got some good scores such as LS Choco Tankers and EGs before real spending will begin.

I'm now saying goodbye to my beloved Leffot Tankers and SS coat in order to get some new projects.

2. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

Fine looking ensemble DonL. I think these boots may be one of the most underrated make-ups on this thread. Not much acclaim for them here, but I dig them! Very happy with mine. Where did you acquire yours from?

[Edit: I should have been able to figure that out given the lack of broguing by the heel. AoC, right?]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  3. Don L

Don L Well-Known Member

Correct and agree. Dress up...Dress down, they always work

4. ReppTiePrepster

Lutherville and Timonium are actually adjacent neighborhoods that are frequently attached (not sure why). My address growing up was Lutherville MD.

5. ReppTiePrepster

Solid my friend! [​IMG]Enjoy them often and in great health...

6. ReppTiePrepster

Whiskey Shortwing Bals today...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. Steel28

Yeah buddy, it is what it is.

9. rydenfan

make sure you sell those jeans too while you are at it [​IMG]

10. Steel28

You can't put price on those bro. I should post another pic heheheh.

11. rydenfan

make them your avatar

1 person likes this.
  12. newbiealden

newbiealden Well-Known Member

...so I just double checked the box and it did not say 379 on it ... (sorry to create noise - i have been hopped up on cold medicine). However, here are are a few pics. This is the boot sitting on top of the sole of my Indy. As you can see the brooks brother boot sits "within" the welt stitching of the indy boot on the right and left. These are the same size as well. Maybe the boot is made on a trubalance last but maybe they have made it more narrow by sizing the width down from "d" width to "c"??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. DuckOB

DuckOB Well-Known Member

thanks Newbie, nice color. I looked at the sole pic on BB site and to be honest, i couldn't tell if it looked like Barrie, TB or 379x. [​IMG] Enjoy the boots if you keep them. Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Get well soon!!

DuckOB

14. 35Free

35Free New Member

15. Wooderson

Wooderson Well-Known Member

Are you sure the first shoes are alden? Does not look like shell, and def not the j.crew waxed tobacco, I have those and they are lighter. For your second question,the first is a shortwing, the second is a longwing.

16. chrisefi

chrisefi Well-Known Member

One of those is a wingtip or shortwing (SW) and one is a longwing (LWB). The design is different on the side. The pattern on the wingtip will meet the sole mid-way towards the back of those shoe while the LWB pattern goes all the way to the back. The commando sole on those is comfy and great for bad weather. People here will say that a commando sole is more casual but on a dark colored dress shoe with all black edge trim, you really can't tell at all.

The shortwing comes in a balmoral (bal) or a blucher. The model you linked to is the blucher much like the longwing. The bal looks a lot fancier if you pay close attention to where they lace.

Here is a bal (first) and then a blucher (second):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. ReppTiePrepster

My friend, you have stumbled across the Florsheim Veblen...
    http://affordablemensstyle.com/2014/04/florsheim-veblenhaviland-longwings/
    It's a not-so-good-quality version of a former classic American-made shoe. They look pretty good in photographs, but they don't look nearly as good live.

Also, the AF80 is an amazing color 8 shortwing blucher with a 360' flat welt on commando. It's a bit of a contradiction as they appear and feel much sleeker than the standard 975 making them much dressier, but the commmando, while very low profile, screams casual. I wear it with suits in the winter and khakis with a navy blazer and tie pretty regularly. Feels a little weird with denim, but can certainly be done.

The AF110 is the standard 975 (color 8 LWB with 360' storm welt) on commando.

You can not go wrong with either the AF80 or AF110 if you want a shell on commando. Otherwise, I'd go with the standard 975 (double leather soles).

Good luck and happy new year!

AF80...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I love both!

18. chrisefi

chrisefi Well-Known Member

What RTP said! ^

Go with the Alden model# 975 if you're looking for a classic dress shoe that also works with casual clothes.

19. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

The AF110 has a commando sole though if you want to use it in inclement weather that may be a consideration.

I think the others have covered this pretty well, but here are some pics also just because I like pics and brogues. :)

LWB (in Whiskey Shell)
    [​IMG]

SWB (in Whiskey Shell)
    [​IMG]

Wingtip Balmoral (in Whiskey Shell)
    [​IMG]

-Mike

20. Resistant

Resistant Well-Known Member

Any word on when the Alden Madison Ravello long wings are due to arrive?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.