1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alpina

Alpina Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  2. fitchottie

fitchottie Well-Known Member

So here are my three boots. As it turns out only two of the three pairs where seconds the third boot which is a tobacco indy was on sale...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. fitchottie

Kudu , tobacco , brown

[​IMG]

4. fitchottie

None of the three excite me and the color of the nat and indy seem to close the the kudu. The profile of the natty really makes me want a plain toe boot. So back to the shoe mart they go...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  5. BFisher244

BFisher244 Active Member

My new CXL boots are fantastic They are super comfortable. My only concern is that the right boot is breaking in very differently from the left boot. The right one has developed significant wavyness and wrinkling in the leather. Is this normal behavior for cxl or a defect?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. fitchottie

Thru in a peal co, new from bb sale

[​IMG]

7. Shawnc

Shawnc Well-Known Member

Those Halleck's are amazing. I own the Brixtons and I don't see any difference. Nice pickup. Got my own little package today, the AofDC ravello Captoes. They are proof-positive that when Alden is on their game, there is no one better (IMO). These and my WTB from TSM are completely without flaws. Absolutely perfect. And the shade of ravello beats anything I current own. The shade on the wingtips is a smidge lighter, which I prefer. But the Captoes are on commando, which I strongly prefer for boots. As it stands, since I can really only justify keeping one, I will likely pass the WTB on to a fellow SF'er. Here are a couple of shots.......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  8. meso

meso Well-Known Member

Looks normal. Break-in varies based on stride and other idiosyncrasies of wear. And there's no rule that says creases have to match on each foot...

9. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Wow! That is a stunning shade of Ravello. Congrats!

10. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

If you are referring to the recent spate of boots on the Modified last, I concur. I had a pair of Modified PTB a while back and while they fit me better and were more comfortable than any other dress shoes I've ever owned, every time I looked down at my feet they just looked off to me.

11. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

if you are an 8 barrie/8.5 grant then shoot em a PM

12. fitchottie

If anyone is interested in the shoes I posted they are shipping out tomorrow and should be back to the shoe mart in a couple days if you guys want to call them...11.5 d for natural and Nst. 11e for the indy.

13. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Shawnc's PM box is full...........................................

Now.

haha

14. TommyB

TommyB Well-Known Member

Did I read a couple of pages back that the wing tip boots are size 9? Or is that just wishful thinking? I'll be happy to help you get rid of them if that's the case.:)
    What? 200 in front of me in the line?!? ;)

15. Steel28

Steel28 Well-Known Member

I'll take it @Shawnc if these are size 8.5D.

:D

16. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

Shawnc,
    Terrific boots sir. It would be difficult to decide which pair to keep. The colors look just right.

17. Mr Clemson

Mr Clemson Well-Known Member

Those captoe boots look great @Shawnc - that may have enabled me to pull the trigger! [​IMG]

18. Shawnc

Shawnc Well-Known Member

Thanks all for the kind words. Unfortunately both boots are already spoken for, it's just a matter of which one I decide to keep. If by chance, the SF'er who committed changes his mind, I will be sure to post a PSA. The WTB's are a 9D on Barrie and the Captoes are a 9.5D on Grant.

@MrDV - you're right in that the shade on both of these is absolutely stunning. My preference was always the Captoes as I'm a little wingtip heavy and don't own a single captoe. Plus, they are on commando, which I strongly prefer for boots. I was worried about the sizing on Grant as I don't own any, but these fit fine. What makes this a little tough is that I like the shade on the wingtips just a little better. It's really hard to see the difference but they are a hair lighter.

At the end of the day the biggest challenge is to resist the urge to keep both. But deep down I know that would be silly and financially irresponsible. I'll likely keep the Captoes.

19. loanshark

loanshark Well-Known Member

I believe you, Mr DV and I are all the same size and he already has a pair . . .

20. totalair1

totalair1 Well-Known Member

Shawnc-Both boots are awesome! I have the Ravello WTB with Commando on order, and the Daytripper. Hope both of mine look as good as yours!

Congrats

See Ya,
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.