• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

justuhgeek

Reaction score

I wouldn't send them back to Alden, and here's why. You're obviously very particular. Not a bad thing, but Alden isn't a particular sort of company. They'll slap another layer of their secret sauce on them and ship them back out. Some have had wonderful results, but the vast majority have been complete disasters, at least to my eyes. The shoes are darker, color is off from one shoe to the other, the dye actually PEELS OFF. I've never sent a pair to them for work because in the end Alden does what Alden wants and you suffer the potential consequences. Just my two cents.

If it were me, I'd just wear them as normal, the Reno will evaporate, things will even out, and then polish with a cordovan crème. In the end, they're shoes. They're going to get beat up, you're going to stand in puddles of piss in the men's room, they're going to get rained on, etc.

Thanks for the input. This is what I thought before I read jvc44's post. Nonetheless, I have already emailed alden with pics and will see how they reply. It wouldn't be that much of a problem for me it were a little more discrete, but when I'm out in the sun or in any lighted setting, it becomes really noticeable. It is pretty saturated.

May just do as you advise and continue Mac method and wear them and see where time takes them.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time and brushing will heal that wound...

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Thanks for the input. This is what I thought before I read jvc44's post. Nonetheless, I have already emailed alden with pics and will see how they reply. It wouldn't be that much of a problem for me it were a little more discrete, but when I'm out in the sun or in any lighted setting, it becomes really noticeable. It is pretty saturated.

May just do as you advise and continue Mac method and wear them and see where time takes them.

Wow...that is not looking good. Sorry about your situation.

esoxm

Reaction score

Sweeeeeeeet.
LeatherSoul make up? These are just too good,

Thanks for the kind words everyone. These are the LeatherSoul make-up, new to me via a lucky ebay score earlier this fall.

jvc44

Reaction score
Hey Just, mine were not that bad but ideally dulled one tie cap. Reno just softens and dulls the factory finish when too much is used(I will not use it again on my shells).i sent both boots back to Alden and they did put their finish back on,my shoes look fine now.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you with the Alden Tassel Loafer, what shoe trees do you use?

I've found that these shoe trees:

Don't fit perfectly with my loafers.

Thanks in advance!
Woodlore Ultra are perfect in my 9Ds. The shape works well because it comes up pretty high underneath the tongue. Its tricky though, since 1 size tree works for a range of shoe sizes, some styles/sizes work better for some than they do for others. The full toe version works well in my 9C LHSs.

My 2 Cents:

Wet a paper towel with warm water. Wring it out in your fist, wipe down the shoe, repeat daily with brushing. It is my theory that the surface oil will be removed with the damp paper towel. The brushing will help bring more oil the the surface. It will be a slow and gradual process. Not sure the two shoes will ever look identical.

Not that scolding you will help, but I don't know how you got so carried away. Cardinal rule in shell cordovan care is Less is More.

Edit: Renomat might be able to degrease it, as the leather seems pretty stripped after using it, but It would be a gamble, and again, the shoe would probably still not match the other one.

Last edited:

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I have previously done just that. And here is what I was told:

1. JR soles used for restorations only; and
2. used for laced shoes/boots - shell and calf; and
3. not used for loafers (deemed too inflexible)

Thanks for checking with them! So they are only used when they are sent in for restoration and not when they are initially made. I wonder if they are only used if requested at restoration? The lack of a JR logo still causes confusion here, since all of the restored Alden's I've seen have soles that are identical to their original manufacture (with the exception of the "Alden Restoration" branding at the waist of the shoe.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re. the Justuhgeek situation. I don't understand why folks take to applying products to brand new shell aldens. I'v heard that reno smells like turpentine. (I don't own it). That's just begging for trouble. So far, all I've used for my alden shell is wet cotton rags, a horsehair brush and a flannel cloth.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster. My first pair of Aldens came today: color 8 LWB from a little shop in Seattle. I'm blown away by a few things: the size of the shoes, the color and craftsmanship, and the immediate comfort. I don't think I'll have to worry about breaking these in. They're already remarkably comfortable. I've never owned a pair of shoes so bulky; they're like boots. Any advice on trouser/shirt combos? The last pic is them next to my AE park avenues for scale...

Congrats on acquiring the quintessential Alden pair. They are certainly substantial in weight and comfort... never thought I could own an incredibly comfortable pair of shoes that were also this heavy. As for what to wear with them?? ...just about anything. 975s are extremely versatile... denim, wool, chinos, even less formal suits work really well with this classic. Enjoy often and in great health my friend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads