1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlieu

tlieu Well-Known Member

I'm not too sure if this has been answered but how long those Alden Rochester Red Cedar shoe trees last? I have a few and the red cedar was pretty strong 6 months ago and I can't really smell the cedar anymore.
    They I barely take them out of the shoe maybe just a couple of times in the last 6 months so just wondering how ofter you're suppose replace your shoe trees or not.

2. tlieu

tlieu Well-Known Member

so i'm debating on a pair of shell indy's from the madison ave shop (thanks for the tip)! my only reluctance is the hand sewn stitching. will alden ever revist the machine stitching, or is this how it is going forward? anyone got inside scoop?

Hand sewn stitching is more worth your money cause one of the sewers poked themselves with the needle, it makes your shoe extra special. Worth the labour and money paid for in IMO.

3. Beetleything

Beetleything Well-Known Member

If everyone sizes down 1/2 on the Barrie last, why doesn't Alden just relabel what is currently a 10.5 --> 11 (etc) and then everyone can order TTS? I don't understand this.
    I bought (in a shop) a pair of Alden LW's and found them TTS. I'm glad i bought in a shop and tried first- ohterwise i would have ordered a 1/2 size to small for me.

4. tlieu

tlieu Well-Known Member

I'm not too sure if this has been answered but how long those Alden Rochester Red Cedar shoe trees last? I have a few and the red cedar was pretty strong 6 months ago and I can't really smell the cedar anymore.
    They I barely take them out of the shoe maybe just a couple of times in the last 6 months so just wondering how ofter you're suppose replace your shoe trees or not.

Damn, I should preview my grammar before hitting the post button.

5. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

Damn, I should preview my grammar before hitting the post button.

Heh heh.

Lightly sand the trees and you'll get some cedar smell back.
    Probably do it in a place that doesn't contact the shoe unless you eventually want smaller trees.
    I don't think the scent does anything other than smell nice. You can get cedar oil too.

6. LynahFaithful

LynahFaithful Well-Known Member

I'm sure he does, I was interested in the color.

I've asked Mac previously what polish he uses and he replied Kiwi brown polish for his cigar shells.

7. poly800rock

poly800rock Well-Known Member

is leather soul planning on getting the indy in #8 again? or maybe the 4060 in #8?

8. triumphman

triumphman Well-Known Member

is leather soul planning on getting the indy in #8 again? or maybe the 4060 in #8?

poly, try jgilbert...i know they had a few in stock

9. borderline

borderline Well-Known Member

Which last is most like the Barrie in the toe box but narrower in the heel?

10. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

Wow - What polish do you occasionally hit these with?

thank you
    i use the procedure-
    1-wipe with a damp cloth
    2- brush vigorously with horse hair shoe brush
    3- buff with a smooth cloth
    4- apply polish only after a minimum of eighteen wearing

11. mcarthur

I'm sure he does, I was interested in the color.

kiwi brown

12. mcarthur

13. exhausted

exhausted Active Member

I saw them when I was there last month; good pick up...post pics.
    Here's a pic
    [​IMG]

40705, the white dots are dust that stick to the shoe

What last are they on?

I don't know which last they're on, maybe someone here knows? I got sized 9.5EEE in these and 10.5E in 403.

14. Kraken

Kraken Well-Known Member

Just got a pair of Kudu Ultimate Indy boots but I noticed something odd. The top stitching on top of the left boot is dull and darkened while the one on the right boot is much brighter and makes a huge contrast. This is pretty obvious and you can see it easily in light and even in the dark as the stitching on the right boot sticks out. Is this normal and will the stitching on the right boot dull out pretty quick? Otherwise should this be exchanged as the stitching tends to remain contrasted?

I can post pics by tommorow if needed.

Thanks.

15. interlockingny

interlockingny Well-Known Member

Which last is most like the Barrie in the toe box but narrower in the heel?

I would say the Grant Last. While the Barrie may be a bit more generous in terms of volume, I have found the Grant to have a similiar fullness to the Barrie and narrower in the heel. I have a pair of the Cigar Shell captoe boots, and have found this combination to make for a very comfortable boot.

16. borderline

borderline Well-Known Member

I would say the Grant Last. While the Barrie may be a bit more generous in terms of volume, I have found the Grant to have a similiar fullness to the Barrie and narrower in the heel. I have a pair of the Cigar Shell captoe boots, and have found this combination to make for a very comfortable boot.

Are you same size in Barrie and Grant? Or are you 1/2 larger in Grant i.e. more TTS?

17. MartinLil

MartinLil Well-Known Member

My love for Aldens is how I found this forum. What an awesome thread, guys!

18. interlockingny

interlockingny Well-Known Member

Are you same size in Barrie and Grant? Or are you 1/2 larger in Grant i.e. more TTS?

I actually find it TTS. I know so size down 1/2 size but I found that didn't work for me. Perhaps because my feet are slightly wide. It could also be that I wear thicker socks with the boot which offsets the 1/2 size.

Are you looking at a particular boot / shoe?

FWIW, I also have the BBBF Longwing which is on the Grant last and I find that TTS as well.

19. PeterParker

PeterParker Well-Known Member

I believe the #8 Indy is a regularly stocked item at LS (i.e. it gets reordered). Not sure if they carry the 4060 (Grant last captoe). Personally, I think the #8 Plaza last captoe that LS carries is stunning and more attractive than the 4060.

Aries83 has a fine example of the #8 Plaza captoe
    [​IMG]

It should also be noted that while other outfits offer a variation of the Indy boot, there are slight differences - mainly in the welt. The J Gilbert version has a regular welt (close heel?), and the Shoemart version has a 360 degree reverse welt (and all eyelets), whereas the LS version has the reverse welt and close heel like the original 405.

Just got a pair of Kudu Ultimate Indy boots but I noticed something odd. The top stitching on top of the left boot is dull and darkened while the one on the right boot is much brighter and makes a huge contrast. This is pretty obvious and you can see it easily in light and even in the dark as the stitching on the right boot sticks out. Is this normal and will the stitching on the right boot dull out pretty quick? Otherwise should this be exchanged as the stitching tends to remain contrasted?

I can post pics by tommorow if needed.

Thanks.

If you're worried about having too much contrast, that is easy enough to solve. Take some dirt and rub it into the mocc toe stitching where you find it too bright. Eventually the stitching darkens with dirt, conditioner, polish, etc. so I wouldn't worry about them staying white for too long. In fact, many people don't like the contrast stitching and applying brown polish to match the leather is one of the first things they do.

If the boots fit you well and you like the styling of them, I see no reason to exchange them. Just enjoy and wear those boots for many years to come.

20. darnold

darnold Well-Known Member

Just picked up a pair of these:
    http://shop.winnperry.com/products/a...xcel-plain-toe

I've been waiting patiently for a brown cxl winter shoe - this is it! Nice job Winn Perry. The only thing that could have improved this shoe imho would have been the PTB quarter/vamp patterning ala [​IMG], but this is close enough. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.