1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trunks206

trunks206 Well-Known Member

Fantastic stuff Dubs!

2. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

nephew,
    thank you

3. mcarthur

nephew, looking good in your chukkas

4. mcarthur

nephew,
    thank you

5. mcarthur

nephew, thank you for your presentation o/s whiskey family

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  6. mcarthur

duplicate

7. epc2

epc2 Well-Known Member

Love the Chukkas very Nice Mike.

8. tradbrah

tradbrah Well-Known Member

Mike,

Forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but what is the difference between the LHS and the Full-Strap Loafers?

Beautiful collection.

9. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

Full strap extends all the way to the welt.

10. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

Mdubs: nice whiskey family. Well done.

I too sold my cigar jumpers from LS.

11. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Trad, as BeSpoken mentioned, the strap extends all the way down to the welt on the Full-Strap whereas the Strap goes down to just beyond the top part of the upper on the LHS. Also, the full-strap is much sleeker as it is formed around the Aberdeen last, whereas the LHS is made on the Van last which has a much steeper sidewall. Also, the LHS is 360 degree welted and the Full-Strap is 270 degree welted meaning the welt stitching is only stitched around the front 3/4 of the shoe and ends where the heal is attached. The heal toplift is attached by being nailed on. Alden's use of a steel shank is imperative to the 270 degree welt (from what I heard). The 270 degree welt is considered to be a more formal design. Finally, as the name implies the stitching around the toe on the LHS is hand-sewn, just like the Indy boot or NST resulting in a much thicker thread and looser distance between stitches. The full-strap is machine stitched with a finer thread.

The result is the sleeker versus heavier shoes. I believe that the Full-Strap is dressier and can be worn with suits, but can't dress down as much, whereas the LHS can be dressed down quite a bit (several here will sport them with shorts), but really shouldn't be dressed up more than slacks.

Just my quick analysis. Hope that helps!

-Dubs

2 people like this.
  12. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

13. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

Mike, when you say finding the whiskey chukkas was a "hard find" what do you mean exactly? Where on earth did you manage you find them?! They are amazing and I'm totally jelly!

14. CHRK33

CHRK33 Well-Known Member

Mdubs, do you happen to know if your whiskey full strap was the last pair at Alden NY in 10D? Or even 10.5D?

15. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

They were offered to me when I was inquiring about a different pair.

They were made for Alden of San Fran. I would suggest giving them a buzz if interested since they clearly have the design. They can add you to their list for the next run. No clue when that will be, but I imagine they will get done again.

16. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Sir, they were 10D. 11B is my best Aberdeen size, but amazingly 10.5C and 10D work okay as well. There was one more pair remaining when I bought them a month or so ago. I got to pick between the two of them. Both had some minor creasing, I had to buff them a bit already to reduce the creasing.

-Mike

17. circleslife

circleslife Well-Known Member

Well said. They go great on sockless looks too.

18. docalden2013

docalden2013 Well-Known Member

We could work something out. I've been thinking of cutting the cadets and pasting a black longwing.

Most of my cadet wears (like 5 of the last 6 or so wears) has been for casual purposes. I tried once with a suit and felt regret for the rest of the work day. Jeans and a grey tshirt are no problem for the cadet.

My cigar ptbs get almost no wear. I've even tried putting them by the door so they'll get some action on the way to morning summer camp dropoffs or trips to the store, but I always end up doing something else. That said, Uncle's cigar ptbs were out of this world the other day.

Every time I think I'm just not into ptbs, something like this happens. Nicely done, Mac!
    Mr. Aldenpedia, I mean Mike, I've run out of words to describe the wonder of these images and the admiration I have for how carefully you curate your collection. Thanks for sharing.

Anyone who wants to point me toward a whiskey indy in an 8.5D trubalance, please don't hesitate to reach out. Muchas gracias.

1 person likes this.
  19. Skatenc123

Skatenc123 Well-Known Member

Is there anyway to look through a thread but only see the pictures posted? Trying to make a list of shoes to buy incase they pop up. Thanks.

20. trunks206

trunks206 Well-Known Member

^"Recent images in this thread" (right hand side of page) -> "View all"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.