1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

Thanks.
    Yes sir. They are my favorite at the moment.

I couldn't agree more.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  2. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

Natty CXL kinda day for me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  3. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

I love mine as well. They are so freaking comfortable. My only complaint is that I wish they were slightly more tapered from the knee with a smaller leg opening

4. bkotsko

I like these boots, Ryden

5. chipshot

chipshot Well-Known Member

Recent Ravello LWB. Pictures please? I want to see if it's dark like Cigar .

6. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

It's actually kind of bizarre. I have a lot of black Alden models (captoe boots, tanker boot, captoe bals, NST shoe, PTB). They are actually some of my most complimented shoes and are very versatile. Based on actual wear, I get more use out of my black cordovans than cigar, whiskey, ravello, etc. I am really looking to add a black brogue at some point as well. The 9751 may be it.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  7. chipshot

chipshot Well-Known Member

I wear my Black BB unlined Penny's year round with everything.

8. AldenKappa

AldenKappa Active Member

Picked up the #8 LWB about a month ago and it was perfect. Just received the natty cxl LWB and I have been waiting on them in my size for a few months. Both shoes are up against the wall.... thoughts on the offset of the left shoe.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. epc2

epc2 Well-Known Member

+1, my next shell will be black.

10. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Well-Known Member

I see black as formal, I love black shoes if I'm wearing a suit or a tux. With casual wear, Its just not my thing.

If I were to buy black Alden's it would likely be a captoe cadet shoe (JCrew) to replace my park avenues.

11. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Not a bad choice, I have a 9751 in production. I also really like my Alden Black Shell "Strand" from LS on the Plaza. I am in the queue to get two Black Shell Boots, the Cap Toe (4065HC) and the NST Plaza Boot. I think all three will be supreme.

12. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

B, those look great and that grating makes an amazing background for your boots.

13. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Ryden, those look awesome. Great looking boot for your Friday.

14. bkotsko

Thanks, Mike.
    Exactly why I used it, the diamond plate does add some great contrast.
    Not that they are used as "work boots"... haha

15. docalden2013

docalden2013 Well-Known Member

To add to the black shell discussion, I and non-Alden-addicts seem to enjoy the lustre of black shell cordovan. I think it can be done casually enough and it certainly dresses up nicely.

I bought the JC cadet shoe in black cordovan last year after I got a 25% discount from my personal shopper. I must say that it doesn't get much wear in my rotation. I'm still grappling with whether the shoe looks properly proportioned with 6 pairs of eyelets. If I were buying only one black shell, it might just be the longwing (I'd consider a ptb too, but I like some ornamentation on shoes...).

and @bkotsko makes me want to rock my black naval boots soon. It's just been a bit too hot around here for boots lately.

16. bkotsko

It was cool this morning. 48F at my house, which is unseasonably cool for a July morning.
    You know who will take those cadets off you when the time is right, Doc.

17. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

If you were looking to use a black shell Alden model for more formal attire, I would recommend either the cap toe bal (like AE's Park Av) or the perf cap toe bal (like AE's 5th Av). J Crew's cadet is very much a casual looking shoe in my opinion, even though it is black. The barrie last, blucher, and double leather sole makes it look a little odd with a suit. I've done the 9901 with a suit before and felt fine, but somehow the cadet looks more like it should be a (naval) boot and screams casual, at least to me. My $0.02.

1 person likes this.
  18. mistercitizen

mistercitizen Well-Known Member

+1 Those cigar PTB's would be like my dream shoe. I have the RL Marlow PTB's and my Alden Color 8 PTB's..... but Alden cigar PTB's I would probably wear more than those two combined.

Ben

19. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

Black shell is great. i own the 9751 and get a decent amount of use out of it.

20. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

+1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.