1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoothie1

smoothie1 Well-Known Member

Why don't you contact Alden directly? It sounds like a significant problem. Alden Restorations can cause problems. I have not always been thrilled by some aspects of their work, and there are plenty of skilled cobblers who can handle a higher quality resole. However, if you need a reconditioned upper, especially for cordovan, Alden is a solid choice.

2. ironclad

ironclad Well-Known Member

Joining my buddy bkotsko and Team Natty CXL today.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

I am sorry to hear this. What an awful story. Certainly contact Alden.

Years ago I had this happen with an AE recraft (shoes came back way too tight). They gave me a new pair.

4. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

We must have a different make-up then. I was hoping to get the structured, lined version you have. thanks and take care...

5. wklq76a

wklq76a Well-Known Member

Just to calibrate expectations for @Hot Dog Day #49 , I would be very surprised if Alden offered up a new pair to replace the poorly recrafted ones. Customer service is an area where I think AE is vastly superior to Alden.

6. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

The correct choice IC. [​IMG]

7. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

nephew, looking good in your full strap

8. Hot Dog Day #49

Hot Dog Day #49 Well-Known Member

I have, but haven't heard back yet. It seems like they just stretched the shoes on the wrong last or something, who knows.

That's good to hear since I have a pair of AE that need to be recrafted.

9. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    king lwb
    argyles otc
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. REguy

REguy Well-Known Member

The sadist in me loves watching people order from these clowns during their sales, but I'd strongly recommend never doing business with them. They're bad enough in person, and there are a number of horror stories from those who placed online orders. Whenever I take a stroll down Charles Street, I shake my head at the idiocy that lurks behind the quaint storefront. However, I will say the last time I dropped in NRO, they had a pleasant young woman working who actually made an effort, but she must've been new and not yet schooled in the art of douchebaggery.

The funniest experience I had with them was during one of their sales. I thought it a great time to grab a pair of #8 chukkas, so I abandoned my self respect and ventured to the store. I mentioned the sale email at the register, and the dragon lady I was dealing with gave me the stink eye and said they don't honor online sales. I explained that I would simply go home, place the order online, and they'd be out the cost of shipping. She stuck with her position, so I left, placed the order, and the exact same pair arrived at my door a mile up the Charles a day later.

1 person likes this.
  11. circleslife

circleslife Well-Known Member

Hands down AE does a far superior job at customer service than you can expect from Alden.

12. chrisefi

chrisefi Well-Known Member

Instagram names? Who posts Aldens?

13. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

King LWB's as promised. Thank you Uncle .

14. chrisefi

That's ridiculous. Some businesses just don't understand customers and feel like they're playing a game against them as opposed to playing against the market they're in.

I would just continue to mess with them at that point. If you'll go out of your way to make a customer's purchase more difficult, forget just taking my business elsewhere, I'm going to make you work harder to get your business. I'll go consult for free for your competitors and build their SEO, social and SEM presence to crush you.

15. chewbocka

chewbocka Well-Known Member

Why so angry?

16. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

FWIW . . .

(1) The one time I ordered online from North River Outfitter (about six months ago) it was a painless experience and the shoes arrived on time and as advertised.

(2) I was in Boston a month or so ago and stopped in the store. A (very) young man who was pretty clueless about Aldens nevertheless helped me try on a few pairs and was generally pleasant and customer-service-oriented. And, an older woman (owner? manager?) made a point of telling me that they've made a few new hires recently and are in the process of training them up. She too was friendly and generally helpful.

17. chrisefi

Haha, not angry by any means.

18. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

^^^ My last purchase from NRO (more than a year ago) was a very pleasant experience. It was during one of their big sales on Alden (35% off). The months prior I had read about some horror stories on here. Apparently they made every effort to clean up their act after someone had reported them to the Better Business Bureau. I haven't done any business with them since, because I have not been aware of any sales. If I find out about any, I will go back.

19. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

any of you own the Alden+Context Roy boot? got any pics?

20. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

I know there are a few folks who do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.