1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

It says they are lined, but I promise you, they are unlined. I actually bought them from BB because I prefer a lined version. I am disappointed that they are unlined, but still happy with them.

2. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

Not so. I would take a picture of the insides, but I do not have them with me.

The inside third of the shoe, from the heel to about the top of the tongue (where you tie the laces) has a light colored leather lining. When untied, the tongue lays limp and flat at the bottom of the shoe (as do all unlined suede shoes). The rest of the inside of the shoe, including the tongue has no lining. It is as buttery soft suede as you will find (slipper-like). I brought them to an Alden retailer to compare to their stock snuff suede PTB, and they are identical with the exception of the eyelets.

The website is incorrect. The website pictures even look like they're lined as the toe area looks rounded and firm, as opposed to the deflated, flat-looking toe of the unlined version (no lining is holding them up). Mine look flat and deflated.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  3. cincikid

cincikid Well-Known Member

I was actually referring to my own snuff PTB from BB. I was under the impression that it is fully lined, but I never bothered looking inside the toe-box area. Thanks for clarifying this ReppTie.

Update: I am working from home today so I went ahead and checked mine. The toe area on mine is structured and reinforced with some kind of fabric. The heel area is lined with a cream-colored leather and the rest of the shoe..., I really can't figure out. There's a layer of a smooth light brown leather on the inside of the uppers. For the reference, my unlined suede AE's have the rough suede-like texture on both the inside and outside, so I am confused.

4. esoxm

esoxm Well-Known Member

5. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

Thanks! I usually prefer the J Crew Slim unless it is the 484. I used to really like the 484 but they have made it way too slim cut for my liking.

6. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

I have both the Urban Slim Fit and the 484 - I prefer the Urban Slim fit. For a super tapered chino, I like Epaulet's Driggs.

7. totalair1

totalair1 Well-Known Member

Wearing my Cigar NST loafer on Aberdeen model 1031. Circa 2012 I think.
    One of the rarer models of cigar I been able to catch.

See Ya,
    Steve

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. Alpina

Alpina Well-Known Member

They would have to offer that card somewhere in the range of, say, $12 to get me back to the NRO table. >shudder< What an awful experience that was.

9. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

Steve, Are you sure those aren't on the Grant last? They look like these from Alden NYC: http://www.aldenmadisonny.com/IMG_6407.jpg I owned a pair of grant lasted loafers, but they were ultimately too big for me in 10E

10. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

They look awfully pointy to be Grant, IMHO.

11. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Well-Known Member

What happened with them? Was about to pull the trigger on about 6 pairs of shoe trees if they are awful I wont.

12. totalair1

I got these from Alden San Francisco and was told they were Aberdeen. They feel like Aberdeen too, because I needed an E width to make them work. However I'm not saying they are for certain Aberdeen.

See Ya,
    Steve

13. ATLVol

ATLVol Well-Known Member

I have pair of the cigar NST loafers as well and was told by Alden NY (Madison) that they are on the Grant last......they are definitely not the same as my Aberdeen tassels which are TTS as opposed to the NST loafers which are Barrie size.

14. Alpina

Alpina Well-Known Member

If it's just shoe trees, or anything else they definitely have in stock, I'd say do it.

But in my "transaction" for their "limited edition" aldens, they were a bunch of hot air that turned downright deceptive. After 10 months I was pulling my hair out, and had to get a refund for shoes that arrived (wrong size) many months after a "six weeks, confirmed" assurance. AFter I returned them , they told me they had sold the pair I had actually ordered. Refund was initially denied because I no longer had the original credit card (lost/reissued) citing something about it being against federal regulations. Also, would not refund by check....that is until I got my bank on the phone for a three-way (good times), Then they complied, but only after three more calls to make sure the check got in the mail.

Plus, they are almost never there, especially in the summer. Always a message machine, which greatly compounded the frustration.

This all started when they had a 20% off sale I learned about here. Many here knew their reputation and were reluctant to engage. I should have listened.
    (Listing still says they anticipate them in March 2013.)

Right after that debacle, the tan suede leydon dovers popped up on the TSM seconds list. Got the shoes. Lesson learned.

15. aldenwear

aldenwear Well-Known Member

I too have this shoe from Alden NYC and it is on the grant last. But, as See Ya Steve noted, his source was different and, presumably, his source knows of what it speaks.

16. totalair1

I have researched this and indeed these are on the Grant last!

See Ya,
    Steve

17. aldenwear

aldenwear Well-Known Member

NST loafer on grant last is a bitchin' style!

I have them in cigar and color 8. Thus morning I received a call from Alden NYC and will have them in black soon too.

18. totalair1

I have them in cigar and black and I love them!

I got confused on lasts...it's my NST lace up shoe in Cigar and Whiskey I have on Aberdeen from Alden SF, and TSM in Ravello. I also have NST in whiskey and #8 on Barrie.

See Ya,
    Steve

19. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Well-Known Member

Yikes man, good to know. I have never dealt with them. Debating ordering the Choco Indy's a few times but never pulled the trigger. Good thing I didnt. I always wondered how they had so many stock sizes in a couple of the shoes including all the widths. Apparently they dont actually "have" the stock.

20. Hot Dog Day #49

Hot Dog Day #49 Well-Known Member

Over the winter I sent a pair of Cigar Cordovan Longwings back to Alden HQ for restoration, the soles needed replacing and the upper was a little worn. The process was painless and took about as long as I was quoted. These have always been my favorite and most comfortable shoes. Wearing them was on par with wearing a pair of sneakers.

I was really impressed when the shoes came back - they did a great job and the packaging and presentation made it feel like I was getting brand new shoes all over again. However, the shoes were immediately painful when I put them on just walking around my carpeted floor. I accredited this to the restoration and stuck it out thinking they would break in, but my heels are covered in blisters every time I wear them. I've worn them about 20 times now and they're by far the most uncomfortable shoes I've ever worn. Something must have changed due to the restoration, because the shoes feel a bit bigger and the ankles definitely slip around a bit. What's strange is that the color from the liner bleeds heavily into my socks and feet when I wear them, to the point that a colored sock comes out being leather colored, and I don't sweat much at all. This never happened before the restore either. I'm pretty unhappy about it considering they were my favorite shoes and the high cost of restoration.

Has anyone had this experience or have any idea if there is any recourse other than selling?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.