• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leffot has the navy CXL Greenwich boots on crepe up for preorder. I highly recommend these. I have worn them once a week since purchase, very comfy and sharp at the same time.

Dbc0919

Reaction score

I use Kiwi Mid-Tan on Ravello. Seems to be the color that matches the best.

There is a very red mahogany Saphir paste wax that I used once or twice unsuccessfully on ravello/color 4 (now I don't use any Saphir paste wax on cordovan, only cordovan creme)

I agree with this. A third alternative is Saphir cordovan cream in neutral.

FWIW, Alden itself recommends this.

Thanks all for responding. I heard that Alden recommended Brown for Ravello but it seems likely to me that brown was recommended because all they had was brown, color #8, black and maybe tan, though I thought tan has been introduced fairly recently. I just can't imagine putting the brown used for cigar on reddish ravello.

Gianni Cerutti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems like a ravello kind of day...

I remember getting these, wearing them around the house, and noticing that a crease formed on the captoe. It bothered me at first, but now it adds to the character. Super comfortable boots. I'm glad I jumped on this order before the shortage.

I agree with you on comfort. I also I have a couple and I have to say I do not have rivals.

inmamy

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first time posting here, although I have long admired the knowledge and passion of all the regulars on this thread. I just purchased my first pair of Aldens(!)--the cigar shell PTBs from Frans Boone--and I come to seek your wisdom. The shoes are in generally great condition--soles pretty much pristine, and the uppers mostly great too. However, the creasing in the toes area looks a little weird to me, because the leather looks like it has deteriorated. It looks and feels dry and rough, very different from how cordovan is supposed to. I know one of the appeals of cordovan is that it creases differently from calf, and there are subtle variations in color to be expected. But this seems different. I don't know how to describe it more specifically, so below are some quick close-up pics I snapped.

Also in the same photos, you can see that there's a little area near the laces where the surface of the leather appears to have peeled off(??) Again, I've never seen this with cordovan. In essence, my questions are: (1) what is going on here? Something to be concerned about/should I talk to the seller? (2) Is it possible to restore the trouble areas to what they're supposed to look like? If so, how?

Thanks in advance!

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Hi all, This is my first time posting here, although I have long admired the knowledge and passion of all the regulars on this thread. I just purchased my first pair of Aldens(!)--the cigar shell PTBs from Frans Boone--and I come to seek your wisdom. The shoes are in generally great condition--soles pretty much pristine, and the uppers mostly great too. However, the creasing in the toes area looks a little weird to me, because the leather looks like it has deteriorated. It looks and feels dry and rough, very different from how cordovan is supposed to. I know one of the appeals of cordovan is that it creases differently from calf, and there are subtle variations in color to be expected. But this seems different. I don't know how to describe it more specifically, so below are some quick close-up pics I snapped. Also in the same photos, you can see that there's a little area near the laces where the surface of the leather appears to have peeled off(??) Again, I've never seen this with cordovan. In essence, my questions are: (1) what is going on here? Something to be concerned about/should I talk to the seller? (2) Is it possible to restore the trouble areas to what they're supposed to look like? If so, how? Thanks in advance!
I don't like the look of those at all. If that wasn't disclosed to you at the point of sale, I'd try to return them. I know I would. These is nothing normal about that. Welcome to the thread!

Last edited:

FENWAY

Reaction score
^ That doesn't look good

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi all, This is my first time posting here, although I have long admired the knowledge and passion of all the regulars on this thread. I just purchased my first pair of Aldens(!)--the cigar shell PTBs from Frans Boone--and I come to seek your wisdom. The shoes are in generally great condition--soles pretty much pristine, and the uppers mostly great too. However, the creasing in the toes area looks a little weird to me, because the leather looks like it has deteriorated. It looks and feels dry and rough, very different from how cordovan is supposed to. I know one of the appeals of cordovan is that it creases differently from calf, and there are subtle variations in color to be expected. But this seems different. I don't know how to describe it more specifically, so below are some quick close-up pics I snapped. Also in the same photos, you can see that there's a little area near the laces where the surface of the leather appears to have peeled off(??) Again, I've never seen this with cordovan. In essence, my questions are: (1) what is going on here? Something to be concerned about/should I talk to the seller? (2) Is it possible to restore the trouble areas to what they're supposed to look like? If so, how? Thanks in advance!
First of all, congrats on a great score. I love the FB PTB Cigars with the exposed eyelets. A sweet shoe. Having said that, I would not consider what your pics display to be a part of the subtle color variations often found in shell. If it were me I would contact FB and provide them with the same pics you posted here.

inmamy

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions so far, folks. Much appreciated. I'll definitely contact Frans Boone with photos. I'm just confused as to how the rest of the shoe can be completely pristine (I mean, the soles are crepe, so it'd be easy to see any wear, and it looks like they've been worn once or twice max) while the leather in specific spots gets like this...

mtc2000

Reaction score

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions so far, folks. Much appreciated. I'll definitely contact Frans Boone with photos. I'm just confused as to how the rest of the shoe can be completely pristine (I mean, the soles are crepe, so it'd be easy to see any wear, and it looks like they've been worn once or twice max) while the leather in specific spots gets like this...

This is likely to be the glazing starting to wear off prematurely. Alden applies a glazing to most of the shell Cordovan shoes, giving that instant, out-of-the-box shine.

Alden is able fix that kind of issue, by applying more of that stuff.

I am seeing a trend of heavy application of that glazing on the more recent production. In part, as an attempt to even out the natural color variations in Cordovan. Good or bad, I am not sure.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

nephew,

thank you

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: Paste wax and Saphir reno/VSC serve very different purposes. Paste wax once or twice per year is certainly appropriate to try and maintain color and clean up scuffs and scars. Reno and VSC are meant to moisturize and clean; also good a couple of times per year depending on how often you wear your shell cordovans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads