• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Leffot just got in an order of Plaza snuff suede wingtip boots on single flex soles. Please buy the 8.5D before I do. 

Wow those are nice. 8.5D is my size, too.....

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love Alden suede as much as I love Alden shell...Please dont tell anyone
stirpot.gif

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I was really bummed when I noticed it but it is reassuring they aren't ruined permanently.

I have some reno and saphir cordovan cream I will try on it too if brushing/buffing doesn't do it alone. Waiting on some nitrile disposable gloves to arrive before I use reno again though. First time I used it with my bare hands and then I decided the smell stayed on my hands and I am worried whatever in it might not be good for my hands. Anyone else use gloves when using shoe products? Any recommendations on how you do it?
I dont' wear gloves, never noticed any smell on my hands after using it. I think the stuff smells good

I'd caution against spot treating with cordovan cream, as it darkens the color a little bit with its increased moisture.

I'd use reno, and paste wax to cover it up if necessary. Good Luck.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going with the earlier theme, here are my Leffot Ravello LWBs in the backyard

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another question for the community. Got my jcrew LWB's with the 25% coupon. Unfortunately they did come with the darker welt as others suggested they would. At 75% of retail, I can live with that but there is another issue and I wanted your opinion on whether this is common and something I have to learn to live with or if I should return them as defective.

While it is not apparent in all lighting conditions, in some light it is clear that not enough dye was applied to the tongue on the left shoe. The first pic shows the difference while the second one does not.

So what do you think? Have you kept new shoes with much worse?

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Going with the earlier theme, here are my Leffot Ravello LWBs in the backyard

Stunning. Might just be the perfect shoe. Absolutely amazing patina and creases.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Stunning. Might just be the perfect shoe. Absolutely amazing patina and creases.

Got really lucky picking these up minutes after they were listed on the SF classifieds. You have to act fast think later when it comes to Aldens :)

hkpm

Reaction score
Another question for the community. Got my jcrew LWB's with the 25% coupon. Unfortunately they did come with the darker welt as others suggested they would. At 75% of retail, I can live with that but there is another issue and I wanted your opinion on whether this is common and something I have to learn to live with or if I should return them as defective.

While it is not apparent in all lighting conditions, in some light it is clear that not enough dye was applied to the tongue on the left shoe. The first pic shows the difference while the second one does not.

So what do you think? Have you kept new shoes with much worse?

It is not hard to find uneven dye on #8 shell.
As the uneven dye shown on your shoe is on the tongue and with 25% off,
I will say keep them, because who can see the uneven dye when the shoes are laced except you?

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is not hard to find uneven dye on #8 shell.
As the uneven dye shown on your shoe is on the tongue and with 25% off,
I will say keep them, because who can see the uneven dye when the shoes are laced except you?

Because I often cross my legs when sitting it may be visible more often than it would be for those who sit with both feet on the ground. Additionally it's not like the laces will be drawn so tightly that it will cover it up. Having said that, I tend to agree with you and am leaning toward keeping. I love the shoes (minus the dark welt which I just strongly like) and at 25% off, my price was less than the cost of a comparable pair of calfskins. And your response hit on a key point that I was looking for. That being that uneven dye is not that uncommon on color 8's. My guess is that I may notice it for the first two or three wears and then forget about. Gonna think on it tonight since I would like to wear them tomorrow.

Thanks for the input.

Resistant

Reaction score
I have kept much worse, that is all character on your boots and Saphir Cordovan cream will boost the color if you decide to go that way.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have kept much worse, that is all character on your boots and Saphir Cordovan cream will boost the color if you decide to go that way.

2nd this. saphir cordovan is much more forgiving and just as effective as alden cordovan paste. alden paste tends to dry up much faster and leaves its residue behind

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, it's not that I'm lazy, but does anyone know who offers a Trubalance lasted, even though plaza lasted boots do look really cool, shell Indy boot on either a commando or crepe sole that comes with speed hooks for easy on and off. Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads