1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  2. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

meh, I'd go elsewhere in that price range (for used boots)

more power to the seller tho, and congrats to the buyer for getting what they want

3. smoothie1

smoothie1 Well-Known Member

You are right. What was I thinking? Two days left on the auction. They are going bust the bank. Alden shell is off the chain.

Also, if there were better pictures, the price would go even higher.

4. gmmiddle

gmmiddle Well-Known Member

For me the opposite. Show stopper. $800 for flawed boots because the color is unique? I wouldn't buy $100 boots (new) with a rip, no way $800.

But the, I would expect to wear the boots as boots. If this is fashion or something to pull out when you want to wear something unique, well that's a p/q that I have crossed for other obsessions :).

And as far as not inspecting in store...how about inspecting before they hit the box? I can't believe rare shell doesn't get some kind of special treatment in-house.

5. wklq76a

wklq76a Well-Known Member

Being rare shell, I feel like that's all the more reason not to inspect from the retailer's point of view. They know the demand is incredible, and that people will be willing to accept flaws to get a particular color.

6. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Well-Known Member

Used boots is one thing, if they are cared for I think they can demand a price near retail.
    Now 900 dollars thats a whole nother ballgame. In this case though its #4 and likely they will never be made again.
    So its paying for nostalgia.

As far as a tear in brand new boots. I dont care what color they are, I wouldnt pay retail for anything with a tear.
    I assume most retailers would offer compensation though, and we could settle something.

7. Buckeye Nation

Buckeye Nation Well-Known Member

For me it has little to do with the color of the boot - its just not that big a deal to me, and that defect certainly isn't worth losing sleep over - I likely would not have even noticed it.

I bought a pair of CXL Brown PCT boots last fall - I didn't notice at first but one of the eyelets was not finished on the inside. Over the first few weeks of wearing the barbs shredded the tongue (not through) and cut through the threads.

I filed the barbs down, applied a little Dubbin and moved along with minimal drama. The boots work just the same despite the defect...

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I would have already been wearing those...

Cheers,
    BN

8. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

If those color 4s were my size i would have 0 problem paying $1500. Fact is you can mto and Eg boot whenever you would like, color 4 is extinct.

9. smoothie1

smoothie1 Well-Known Member

Extinct my eye. They just want to justify $2000+ prices when they special release some #4 makeups in a few years.

1 person likes this.
  10. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

11. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

thanks for the kind words gentlemen.
    the bb sw fit me tts, same as the Tremont and plaza. they seem to be a bit longer and not as round as the Tremont sw.

12. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

that's disappointing. I would keep them.

donl, you win. your shoes look so good.

13. aldenwear

aldenwear Well-Known Member

I think the Alden shortwing balmoral model is in Grant, not Tremont. At least Citishoes describes it as Grant.

14. jkater1

jkater1 Well-Known Member

These are my boots, hoping they go for a lot :)

Didn't even realize that I forgot to add the picture of the sole. I added it.

15. ReppTiePrepster

16. wildstar

wildstar Well-Known Member

I like the #4 but would rather have cigar, ravello or even #8, they would likely all get much more wear for me.

Although if they were my size, I would probably be in since they will be so hard to find when my tastes mature enough to realize how awesome #4 is!

17. ReppTiePrepster

You've got a winning lottery ticket there, friend! If you don't mind me asking, why have you decided to give them up? Do you have other shell flavors in the same boot? I hope (and I think you will) collect an absurd amount for your boots. All the best...

18. jkater1

jkater1 Well-Known Member

My wife and I welcomed our first, a daughter, a few weeks ago. She came a little early and had to spend a week in the NICU. That whole experience changed my view on things. Realized I don't need high end shoes that I wear maybe once a month tops so I am getting out of the game.

19. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

congrats on the daughter!

my prayers are with your family that she has a healthy upbringing!

if you were 11.5-12, I'd gladly have doubled your current going ebay amount, knowing the reasoning for your taking a step out of the shoe game.

20. rhythm

rhythm Member

this is just a matter of curiosity: it seems like a lot of people on here tie their LWB's really tight, to where the lace panels are really close together and the lace loops are quite long. To me it kind've makes it look like the shoes might be a half size too big?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.