1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

Owning both, I feel like the Marlow is slightly more sleek, but not substantially. I think the shape of the toe and the short wing make it so. It is slightly more dressy looking to me, but since it is a blucher, it is still only "supposed" to be casual.
    [​IMG]

2. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I would wear that bus. casual all day, everyday. I would probably not wear that with denim for some reason. Maybe the same reason for MrDV's statement.

3. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

I don't wear much denim at all, but I have worn both with denim (actually, I think all once both pictured here) and am cool with it...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  4. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

Keeping in mind most of us have more than one pair of shell shoes...
    Yes. For me, the shape is the defining factor. The marlow is sleeker than the 975. I think that sleekness is more formal. The same is true for the 975, it's probably too clunky for a suit. But if I had too, for versatility purposes, I would dress up a 975 but couldn't dress down a marlow.
    If I'm only packing 1 pair of nice shoes for a week long cruise. I can wear 975 to every "nice dinner" including the 2 dress up days, the marlow however would be too dressy for MY everyday wear.
    Obviously, everyone should have and bring both.

5. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Thanks for the explanation, MrDV. In that same cruise scenario, I would bring only the 975 as well.

6. epc2

epc2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

They're both nice but I'm with DV Marlow is nice but too pointy and sleek for casual, I had to sell mine since they were not a good fit for me ,Barrie size too narrow and TTS the instep was too big needing insoles or tongue pads, I like the Marlow color better but the 975 is way more comfortable and a best fit for me., in the other hand the Marlow medallion and stiching is very nice better than Alden IMHO but shell finish is better on the Alden.

The Marlow is like a mix between a bal and a blucher.

1 person likes this.
  7. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

^^ Nice comparison shot! DOn't think I've seen one of those yet. It really illustrates the shape.

8. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Here are a few other thoughts on the Marlow vs #8 LWB.

The refinements on the Marlow and slightly better, such as the tightness of the stitches or the finishing of the welt.

However, the Alden Shell Cordovan finishing is far superior. I actually don't love to wear my
    Marlows because I know that I am going to spend more time caring for them after I wear them. When I brush them, they get "goose bumps" and I spend a lot of time hand buffing those out. A lot of people have stated that they do not brush their Marlows, but I am a big fan of brushing as it is the best way to getting the oils out of the Shell and keeping them looking pristine. I have read, at least for the Gianni, that paste wax helps with the "Goose Bumps", but I have yet to try it out. Alden puts an acrylic finish or something on their shoes that helps protect and stuff to their Shell Cordovan. This makes the Shell easier to care for (at least out of the box and for the first several years)...

As others have pointed out the Marlow is on a bit sleeker of a last, however, as I think RTP captured in his photos, it has an uber thick double sole. The 975 has on a more generous last "the Barrie" and looks a little more clunky. I combat this personally by getting it made on a narrower width. Most here size down in length on the Barrie, but I narrow it up personally. That makes it harder to get them in the store, but on standard shoes such as the 975 or 9751, you can just submit an order and the factory will run it for you. The Alden LWB has a double leather sole, but it is not as beastly as the Marlow. I personally find the brick of a sole on the Marlow to reduce from its sleekness.

Finally, another huge consideration is the color. #8 is the quintessential Shell Cordovan color, while the Dark Brown is not, but is still a lovely color.

I personally wear either up or down.

Finally, as I alluded to earlier, the 975 is readily available, but the Marlow is less consistent. The 975 can be made in a variety of widths, while the Marlow is only made in "D" widths (US standard width).

Just some thoughts, but I personally would go with the Alden 975 due to the fact that you have the Lindricks (and thus have the Brown Shortwing aspect covered, although in a boot) and due to the shell cordovan treatment. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out...

-Mike

9. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

^^Great post, dubs.

Just touching on something you said...I would love to size down a width on the Barrie, but I'm afraid my instep is too high. My D widths lace pretty far apart as it is (further apart than I have seen others on this thread). How much does sizing down on width really affect the width of the shoe across the instep? The Barrie has soooo much volume for me I wish I could reduce it.

I guess it really doesn't matter as I don't plan to sell what I have, but I guess more for conversation sake.

10. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

Things I always do in Honolulu.
    1. Drinks at House Without a Key
    2. Dinner at Alan Wong's.
    3. Hit up Leather Soul.
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  11. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

12. Steel28

Steel28 Well-Known Member

I think these are LS Safari boots on Plaza.

13. circleslife

circleslife Well-Known Member

Great shot. I always thought Marlow was more close to cigar and the shape was close enough. I think I will stay with my 975. And yes, agree with most others here. The 975s have the best fit among all my Barrie shoes, and are by far the most comfortable for non-commando soles.

14. circleslife

circleslife Well-Known Member

Those look very nice. Congrats!

15. seasquirrel

seasquirrel Well-Known Member

Those look great! It's good to see plain toe snuff suede boots in the wild. I'm on the preorder for the Context snuff Roy boots and have been wondering how the plain toe + snuff + boot combo would look over time (the only snuff I've owned is a wingtip boot).

16. OlafG

OlafG Well-Known Member

And they are indeed very nice [​IMG]

17. seasquirrel

seasquirrel Well-Known Member

Hey Olaf, hope those snuff wingtip boots are treating you well! I loved those boots and hope J. Gilbert or someone gets another preorder going so I can order my correct size. :)

18. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

I'll weigh in on the Marlow vs 975...

The Marlow is definitely a bit dressier due to the shape of the last and the more traditionally dressy shortwing pattern. However, I think it can easily be dressed up or down. I've said this before, but the 975, 990 and Marlow some of the very few shoes that can look equally well with denim and with a business suit. I actually think for that kind of versatility, the Marlow may be a bit better.

The Marlow cordovan is much drier than Alden's cordovan; therefore, the shoe is harder to keep looking good. Color 8 is also a better color than the dark brown on the Marlows (but dark brown may be a bit more versatile).

I believe the original questioner already had lindricks - in that case, I would add the 975 first. But eventually you should get the Marlow as well. I've had mine I believe for four years and I will always have a pair in rotation.

19. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

Spring weather is finally here... Time to box up almost all of my boots for the season... The only ones I'll probably keep out are the cigar captoes and maybe the leffot tankers.

20. RobinM

RobinM Well-Known Member

A little bit of this will give your non-Alden shell the Alden-wet look.

[​IMG]

BTW, some of you may have noticed, Alden applies acrylic finisher to pebble grain shoes as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.