1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mist3rhan

mist3rhan Member

[​IMG]
    Whiskey vtips + pantherella + armoury denim today.

2. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

This is really true. I used to be a suit four days a week, basic biz casual on Friday (either chinos or grey wool pants with a buttondown shirt) and denim Saturday and Sunday type of guy. As a result, I found it hard to wear shoes like the whiskey balmoral wingtips as they didn't really work Mon-Thurs or Saturday-Sunday. I am now experimenting with wearing trousers with sportscoats and sweaters more (namely thanks to Epaulet) on Friday and weekends. As a result, "casual balmorals" like suede captoe balmorals or whiskey wingtip balmorals make more and more sense.

That said, when it comes to "sharper denim" looks (i.e. denim with a blazer), balmorals can work too

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  3. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

Very cool shoes. I would love to see more photos.

4. sacafotos

sacafotos Well-Known Member

V tips are sooooo underrated.

@Alcibiades

So you don't feel leather bals can be worn with denim, that is the main thing holding me back.

I'm eyeing a pair of antique edged LWB for casual and semi dress, then maybe a color 8 medallion blucher for more formal stuff. If I went color 8 SW bal, I think itd be more limiting. At least the medallion I can also wear with more casual stuff. I don't want to pigeon hole myself into the bals for formal only mentality.

5. mist3rhan

mist3rhan Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These are a few I had on my phone. Excuse the pictures, as I have no idea how to take pictures of shoes hahah

6. Omert4

Omert4 Well-Known Member

Thanks boss. Looks like they're the only ones.

7. Shawnc

Shawnc Well-Known Member

That is a really interesting shoe (in a good way). Never seen a V-tip in whiskey. Nicely done.

8. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

Awesome.
    Uni-shoes right? They look great. I should have grabbed a pair.

9. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

I own the black shell version. It has limited usefulness - at least for my wardrobe.

10. sevenfoldtieguy

Ravello isn't even king of the browns. :lol: :slapfight:

11. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Well-Known Member

I agree with this 100%. Very slick casual look, dark denim, sportcoat, suede shoes.

12. sacafotos

sacafotos Well-Known Member

Ok, so medallion toe bal in snuff suede and Dover in milkshake suede would be good acquisitions? Also thought about the Roy boot by Context in Snuff Suede. Looks sexy with that flex sole.

Don't want too much overlap though.

13. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Well-Known Member

I would go med. in Snuff.

I like the color of milkshake but they get dirty so easy, some people rough up their shoes and like that look. If I ever bought milkshake I would be obsesive about not getting them dirty to the point that I wouldnt enjoy them.

14. movoblast

movoblast Well-Known Member

I have a love for nicer shoes but I'm in an environment where dressing business casual is considered "dressed up". I do "dress up" business casual about 2-3 times a week (chinos and oxford, no trousers), and my shoes tend to always draw a lot of attention. I have the RL C&J Lindricks which are nice because they don't draw too much attention since they're a cigar color, but I'm thinking of picking up some #8 975s. Good or bad idea? I don't know if they'll attract too much attention.

15. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Why would your shoes attracting attention be a bad thing?

16. sevenfoldtieguy

Sounds like a good idea; picking up the 990 is perhaps a better idea.

17. Buckeye Nation

Buckeye Nation Well-Known Member

Looking for Rare Shell - Get on that list...

Back a few months ago I called Kathy on the 10.5D Whiskey Balmoral and got them after somebody here posted a PSA

We discussed why I really called though, the Cigar Cap Toe boots - I knew I had no real shot (I'm a 10.5D) but I wanted in on the next order.

She politely explained that I was #5 for that size, and that an order in my size is typically two pair, so I was potentially looking at a two year wait if everyone ahead of me took theirs.

I said no problem and hopped on the list. I called back a month later to verify I was still on the list... (I was)

I sent her a e-mail about a week after they started showing up here - hoping to simply verify that one person passed on theirs and that I had moved up to the four hole, improving my odds for the next order.

She replied that they contacted the first two people and had not heard back yet from either (they received two pair of 10.5D on this order) and that she would get back to me after everything was confirmed.

I was in Toronto yesterday and flew back to Boston today, upon landing I had a voicemail from a DC number... Hmmm....

The boots were mine if I wanted them - enough guys declined to let a pair drop to me....

SCORE

So my PSA to any of you lurkers out there - call these shops and get on lists. My wait went from possibly two years, to under two months...

Cheers,
    BN

1 person likes this.
  18. brp2

brp2 Well-Known Member

You're welcome. :)

19. Buckeye Nation

Buckeye Nation Well-Known Member

Nice, thanks!

It had to be 3-4 of you guys out there though.... I have built a nice little collection of "rare" shell in a pretty short time just by making a few calls and keeping an eye here.

20. Shawnc

Shawnc Well-Known Member

It's hard to explain but I felt the same way when I first started wearing Alden's. The shoes are so much nicer than most that I didn't want to appear too flashy. Now I don't mind at all and even welcome the compliments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.