1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BootSpell

BootSpell Well-Known Member

And they are heavy as hell. The heaviest sole of all I think (heavier than crepe or double leather). They are my least favorite sole.

2. Waterloo 360T

Waterloo 360T Well-Known Member

Your wife doesn't happen to be a redhead named Elizabeth does she? Just asking because she sounds like the woman I've been married to for 17 years now.

3. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

The AE Dalton in bugundy shell does not overlap with the 975, imho. I reach for the 975 far more than the dalton, but I am not so much a boot guy. I also own the AoC color 8 shortwing blucher on commando. I generally wear it in the fall and winter when the weather is frequently wet. Some overlap with 975, but I wear them differently.

The answer here always involves, "buying all options!" [​IMG]

4. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Gentlemen, those are some awesome shoes. Congrats to Saz on his new LWBs. Excellent taste in designs there. DV your Ravello NST is impeccable. Steve, nice Cigars and love the saddles B.
    I need to post less pictures here. I think I am hurting my ability to get shoes. Oh well, guess I don't need more anyways.
    That is the quote of the day my friend.
    Steve, you insult me. I got my Whiskey, Ravello x 3, and Cigar in 4 months. ;-) Unfortunately, I don't think I would be able to do it again. Congrats to all who got the #8 on Antique LWBs today. Those are definitely a cool design. I couldn't get to a phone or computer at the right time, so my decision was made for me. -Mike

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  5. ReppTiePrepster

A) Not sure how the AE Daltons would be a better fit with dressier suit options, but who is anyone to argue with personal style. The Daltons are sleeker than the 975, but I personally think the 975 is a far classier look. (just mho).

B) My personal experience is that the calf LWBs fit larger than the shell. If you read throughout this thread, you will see that many have suggested that shell versions of the same make-up will fit larger than calf because shell can not hold a last as snug or tight as calf and therefore the shell will fit bigger/looser than calf. I have not found that to be true with the various LWBs I own.

6. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Well-Known Member

The Bureau has had the same shoe Leffot was preselling in stock in big sizes for MONTHS and can't move them. This might also be a "Leffot" thing. Sure the shoe is about $100 more from TBB but that's not a significant amount at the prices we are looking at.

7. TO Tie Guy

The link works but you need to go to your profile settings and enter it into the signature area to get it with the photo preview.

8. jkater1

jkater1 Well-Known Member

Interesting discussion as all these things have come to play in the last couple of weeks for me. I am in my early 30's and my wife and I welcomed our first, a daughter, a week and half ago and spent the first week in NICU with her and we're currently in the process of upgrading from our current starter home to building one. I had always wanted the Leffot LWB's and when I saw they were up for preorder email I started to think about things and realized I can't justify the purchase anymore. If it was 2 weeks ago, I wouldn't have hesitated to buy them.

On another note, it took me since last Thursday to get caught up on the thread, those cigar boots from DC look great congrats to all who scored a pair.

9. Shawnc

Shawnc Well-Known Member

Ok, that was ridiculously easy. Simply needs to scroll down a little further to see the option. Thanks TO. Wouldn't have found it without your post.

1 person likes this.
  10. chrisefi

chrisefi Well-Known Member

Just ordered the Unionmade CT Boots in Color 8. This will be my first shell Boot. I know this is a newbie question, but what should I do to care for them before first wear, and during regular use? I'm assuming they don't come with Cedar trees, so I'll grab them. But what about polish, etc?

11. TO Tie Guy

Nothing before using, after using, a horsehair brush and some cloth for cleaning and buffing.

You can look at Venetian Shoe Cream and Saphir Renovateur down the line as well.

12. ReppTiePrepster

^^^Paste wax and conditioning once or twice per year. Also, wipe down with warm, slightly damp soft towel before or after each wear. Brush with horse hair regularly. VSC or saphyr Reno both work well for conditioning

13. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

Anyone have any ideas oh how to remove excess edge dressing. I got a little exuberant on the heel where there is a little brown in the midsole.

14. Shawnc

Shawnc Well-Known Member

Nice pick. Those are nice and present me with a dilemma. I actually like these a little better than my recently acquired jcrew PCT's but I got the PCT's at a great price. Tough call for me but congrats for you.

15. Shawnc

Shawnc Well-Known Member

With all the discussion surrounding the Leffot pre-sale and antique edge, I figured I'd share some of my work from this past weekend. I picked these up off the bay to wear as beaters or with denim. The problem was that the sleeker last made them a little more dressy than I preferred. I decided to change the welt, one because I love antique welt on color 8 and two, antique seems a little more casual. No before pics but basically a black edge......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Well-Known Member

I give you props, those look alot better than I thought they would with a personal refinish. You may have inspired me. Just a quick sanding to remove the black and than an edge dressing?

17. totalair1

totalair1 Well-Known Member

I think those turned really well! How much time invested?

See Ya,
    Steve

18. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

single monk night!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Shawnc

Shawnc Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Total time was a little less than an hour but I did add a couple of steps. I removed the black with a medium grade sandpaper then smoothed out the wood with a extra fine grade sandpaper. Once I got the wood smooth, I applied a coat of Meltonian neutral creme (have no idea why, just seemed like a good idea). Waited 10 minutes and added a layer of Saphir brown renovating cream. Waited another 10 minutes and added another layer. Waited 30 minutes and finished it off with some AE chili edge dressing. For good measure, waited 10 minutes and added another layer of AE chili edge dressing.

Wasn't difficult but certainly not as simple as a couple of posters implied that it needed to be. These are $600-$700 shoes were talking about. Seems silly to reduce the effort to a couple basic steps unless you want the outcome to look like you really didn't care. All in all, I'm happy with the results.

20. Resistant

Resistant Well-Known Member

Quote: Ok - so it is a Dubshella with a Ravello trifecta. Plainridge has slots and the outlets down the hill MA folk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.